“Love this place”

Ranked #2 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Seattle
“Love this place”
Reviewed 20 April 2013

My wife and I have stayed here numerous times on trips to Portland. Usually with our dog. We're always treated like VIPs, though we certainly aren't. Friendly bellmen. The front desk staff are some of the best around. Caring and efficient. Had a problem with the WiFi that they immediately corrected. Very clean and modern rooms with alot of amenities. Quiet rooms A number of dogs with owners but well behaved. No breakfast bar but I'll take the afternoon wine tastings in the beautiful lobby over that any day. Very centrally located in downtown Portland. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for the TripAdvisor review and for the nice comments about your recent stay with us. Thank you especially for the nice comments about our front desk staff. I agree that they are the best around. I was happy to read that the wireless issue was resolved. We look forward to seeing you (and your dog) the next time you're in town.

Craig Thompson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
Buckley, Washington
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I travel frequently for business and have stayed in a variety of hotels across the country ranging from Marriott to Waldorf Astoria/Four Seasons. Nothing compares to the level of service and atmosphere that Hotel Monaco Portland offers! The building is a restored classic with tons of personality and is in a great location in downtown. The level of service their staff provides is AMAZING - better than anything I have ever experienced at the finest hotel chains in the country. I have stayed here 5 times in the last 6 months and have had a variety of rooms. Every room has been clean & free from odors (I am very picky!). The décor is fun and unique, the rooms are large and beds are comfortable. They are "pet friendly" but you would never know by how clean the place is. My last stay, I had to bring my dog. They had a plush dog bed and treats waiting for him in the room when I arrived, nice touch! On-site parking is easy and secure and the hotel's restaurant: Red Star Tavern is far from the average "tavern". The food is high quality and diverse - perfect for someone that appreciates a good meal. The dining atmosphere is great: feel comfortable in jeans or a dress. There are many places to sleep in Portland, but if you want an EXPERIENCE, stay at Hotel Monaco....you will do more than just sleep at this hotel! ***Make sure you check their specials; you can find EXCELLENT rates on rooms!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dawn W
Thank you very much for the great feedback about your recent stays at Hotel Monaco Portland. I enjoyed reading the generous comments about our service and atmosphere. I'm glad you had the opportunity to bring your pet with you and that you enjoy Red Star Tavern. I'll be sure to pass your comments on to the chef and restaurant manager. Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 April 2013

Great Hotel!!! A previous reviewer summed it up very accurately by saying "This is one of the BEST hotel experiences I have ever had anywhere in the world." Excellent staff & service, and nice rooms. Their fitness room is well equipped and is spacious enough so several people can be stretching/exercising on mats at the same time. Their restaurant is also superb, I especially enjoyed their ceviche.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for staying with us and for the excellent review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed reading the feedback about our complimentary fitness room. I'll be sure to pass your nice comments about Red Star Tavern on to our restaurant manager and chef. Thank you and I hope we'll see you again soon.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 April 2013

This is one of the BEST hotel experiences I have ever had anywhere in the world. Period.

The amazing concierge Spencer reached out to me ahead of my arrival and he gave me so many wonderful suggestions & ideas based on my questions. He also looked after all my special likes & requests, including sending a bottle of bubbly as a surprise to my room. Spencer was invaluable to my Portland experience!

My flight landed at PDX early in the morning, and after taking the easy ride on the MAX reached the hotel by 10:30 am. I checked in at the desk and just wanted to check my bag and they said they would take my phone number so that they could call me when my room was ready. Great! They immediately called for a rush on my room preparation. I inquired about a place to grab a coffee, and headed out. Imagine my surprise when they called less than ½ hour later saying my room was ready!! AMAZING!

I absolutely loved my room! A fantastic, large, comfortable, ultra chic, ultra quiet room on the 9th floor overlooking the city. WOW!

I really enjoyed the hosted Wine hour complete with a balloon artist for the kids, and kids at heart like me. Although I was not traveling with kids or dogs, I can easily see how this would be the best place to call home when you do travel with them.

The location could not be more central. I walked everywhere and felt very safe and connected to the city.

I’m already missing my room and experience…I will be back!

Thank you Spencer & everyone at the Hotel Monaco Portland.

Room Tip: Tip 1: If you are flying into PDX, take the MAX to The Monaco…I paid only $2.50 for a whole day’s t...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank amysvortex
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland and for the TripAdvisor review. Thank you especially for the nice comments about Spencer, our concierge. I agree that he is excellent and will be sure to pass your comments on to him as I know he'll be pleased to read them. Thank you also for the nice comments about our guestrooms, location, and hosted evening wine reception. Hopefully we'll see you next time you're in Portland.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I requested a no-smoking room and got a hypoallergenic floor with an unasked for upgrade on check in. Almost nothing in life exceeds my expectations, but the Portland Monaco did so on every level.

The decor is what a designer for a storybook fantasy would conjer up with plenty of modern airy notes and space and tree motifs that keep it grounded in the NW woods.

Room Tip: Ask for what is most imortant to you.
1 Thank Sandrine T
Thank you for staying at Hotel Monaco Portland. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad that our staff honored your request for a non-smoking room and even upgraded you to a larger room on our hypo-allergenic floor. That's great! Thank you for the excellent feedback and I hope you'll stay with us next time you're in Portland.

Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Stayed here on business for one night in February. Great location in downtown Portland, near shopping, restaurants, and entertainment. Greeted curbside by the bellman, which started the great check in experience. Comfortable and eclectic hotel, rooms are all unique and plenty of everything you need. Super comfortable rooms, and your very own teddy bear to snuggle with, nice touch! Bedding is great, and you will get a rear night sleep. However before you do you will be treated to a beer and wine reception. Upon waking up and heading out for the day don't forget to stop for a cup of coffee, or if you prefer, hot chocolate! Not your standard hot chocolate, all the extras to go with it truly a highlight! Not sure if they do it all year, but sure was warming in winter. Take it with you as you take a morning stroll through downtown. I highly recommend the Hotel Monaco for business or pleasure, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Upper floors to avoid any road noise, you are downtown.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the nice comments about your recent stay at Hotel Monaco Portland. I'm glad you enjoyed our downtown location and our recently-renovated guestrooms. Thank you also for the nice feedback about our complimetnary evening wine reception. During the winter season we do offer a hot chocolate station with all of the fixings in our lobby along side our daily coffee and tea station. Hopefully we have the opportunity to see you again soon.

Carpinteria, California
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Hotel Monaco is a great mix of biz and hip. The downtown location is perfect for sales tax avoiding tourists and those conducting business in the Gotham City looking stone monoliths nearby. The staff is friendly and helpful. The complimentary happy hour rocks, and is stocked with all three food groups...beer, wine and goldfish. The decor is busy/chic, but the rooms are clean and the beds/pillows are comfy. They have a hypo-allergenic floor too, so those of you have developed adult-onset paranoia can avoid all of the things you had no problem with as a kid. Overall, I'm writing a conclusion b/c I heard that's what good writer's do. Cheers!

1 Thank Dave M
Thank you for the TripAdvisor review. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you especially for the comments about our hypo-allergenic floor. Although all Kimpton Hotels are pet friendly, Hotel Monaco Portland's hypo-allergenic floor is pet (and smoke) free. It also features special mini bar items, synthetic pillows, hypo-allergenic cleaning products, and hepa filter vacuums. Thank you for staying with us. See you soon I hope.