“Treated like royalty!”

Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“Treated like royalty!”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We are on our last night at the Hotel Monaco in Portland, and have truly enjoyed our stay. So much so that it prompted my first review on TripAdvisor. We checked in on a very busy day (Valentine's Day) and were nevertheless treated with personal attention. At check in, we needed to combine multiple reservations, and the staff handled our unique situation flawlessly.
We stayed at the Monaco once before (more than a year back, which was a great stay) but this was our first time staying as members of Kimpton's Inner Circle. From check-in we were treated like royalty. We received an upgraded room, and were greeted by great snacks when we got to the room. The hotel staff even went out of their way to find great treats for my dietary restricted (gluten free and dairy free) fiancee. Unbelievable service! Everyone on the staff is helpful, cheerful, and genuinely seems to enjoy their job. I strongly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a great spot in downtown.
One note: parking is quite expensive at $38 per night. While this is expected at a downtown location, you could probably do better by parking in a nearby lot. Or better yet, leave your car altogether and take advantage of the free bikes they have available.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
Hidden Hills, California
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I have only wonderful things to say about this Hotel. The staff are incredibly nice and helpful; the ambiance has the perfect amount of Portland quirkiness; the wine tasting by the fireplace with the dogs is wonderful; and it's in a great location. Love staying here, love Portland, and will keep returning!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mardi M
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Great location, very nice and helpful staff and lovely room. Couldn't have had a nicer time! And extra bonus with Friday and Saturday night wine and liquor samples with tasty cookies. We had bad weather that weekend but doorman and front desk very helpful with travel plans.

• Stayed February 2014
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

There are a great many things about this hotel that my husband and I really enjoy. Here is a list of some of them, in no particular order:
- the location (walking distance to much that is fun and interesting in Portland)
- the staff (cheerful, friendly, helpful, attentive)
- the ambiance (fun, funky and playful decor)
- the activities in the lobby (complimentary wine and snacks each evening with live piano music, arts and crafts projects for young and old, life size Jenga game)
- a nicely equipped gym facility
- spacious, comfortable guest rooms (most hotel beds are too squishy soft for us and these are just right).

And all of this comes at a very reasonable price. I highly recommend this hotel (we've stayed here twice now over the past few years) and plan to stay here again on future trips to Portland. If you like a hotel with a sense of whimsy that still takes customer service seriously, this is the place for you.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Had planned to stay in this lovely Portland hotel for a couple of nights.....because of an unexpected snow/ice storm, we were marooned in the city for 6 days. The hotel was most accommodating in every way. Housekeepers could not get to work....although we could get new towels and necessities, our room was not cleaned that day. We were given a $25 credit on our room that night. Had plenty of wine and snacks at Happy Hour, coffee, hot chocolate in morning and hot cider in afternoon. The staff are SO friendly, helpful, knew what restaurants were open, helped with transportation, etc. Will most definitely be back to Hotel Monaco in Portland!
Excellent value!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kscaa
Portland, Oregon, USA
Reviewed 7 February 2014

It had been a while since I have stayed at the Monaco. There were new faces in the garage, the front desk and the door. It was great to see that the Monaco warmth and charm was instilled in these new employees. They greeted me warmly, inquired about my dogs as well as my travels. It is clear the values are coming from the management down to the front lines.

My stay was awesome as usual. The reason I am compelled to write a new review about this property is because what happened after I left. When I got home an unpacked I realized an item had slipped out of a bag. It was not worth s ton of money but it was valuable and more valuable to me. I wrote the front desk manager inquiring if any one had turned it in. Within a few hours I received a reply back that in fact the employees had found it and turned it in.

I admire any establishment that values employees honesty and integrity. When staying at a hotel you think of it like your temporary home. It is nice to know that the family at the Monaco are looking after me as though I am family. The Monaco continues to be one of my most favorite hotels.

Room Tip: There are a lot of rooms to choose from. I would suggest splurging and going for the grand suite wit...
Green Features: Monaco, and other Kimpton hotels, are great at recycling. Room Service will only replace the towels that you leave on the floor. Every room has a recycle bin next to the trash bin.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Burlingame, California
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Our second Stay at the Portland Hotel Monaco--we opted for the King Suite, and the extra space is well worth it. My wife says the decor makes her feel happy, and I have to agree, it's a comfortable and well appointed room, and lobby area. The staff were just as nice as ever. We used the garage this time, and valet worked flawlessly, including the night we got back at 2AM, and the morning we left at 5AM.
Never used the bikes or ate at Red Star--next time.
My one complaint is the dogs--I know it's billed as "super pet friendly", but there seemed to be an extra load of pets this trip. I like dogs, but am I the only person who thinks dogs-not service animals-don't need to be guests in a hotel?

Room Tip: I'd upgrade for a King Suite, and maybe the King Premier Suite to make certain you are in a non...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thanks so much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We were happy to note that you had a good visit. I did note your comment about our pet friendly policies, and I quite agree with you. Not everyone is thrilled to stay in a hotel that accepts pets. That is why we have developed three floors in the hotel where we can guarantee that a pet has not stayed. We have even taken it one step further by upgrading these rooms to hypoallergenic. On these three floors (75 guest rooms) we use special vacuum filters that feature heppa filters that significantly reduce the dust and dander. We also use special room air filters in these rooms. We do not have any down products in these rooms. The pillows and the comforters are synthetic. We do not use scented cleaning products and these products are bio-degradable. Our private bar features gluten free items for our guests. How do you book these rooms? Just ask for pet free, and we will do the rest.
We look forward to your next visit in one of our hypo-allergenic and pet free rooms or suites.

Craig