Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
US$256
US$211
  • Pool
3,271 results
All reviewsred starking suitewine hourhappy houranimal print robessocial hourwine receptionliving roommini barevery eveningvoodoo donutsheart of downtownwine tastingvalet staffthe pearlsitting areafood carts
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Just took a weekend trip with my family to Portland and stayed at Hotel Monaco - which was our first Kimpton experience. This hotel is one of the best that I have stayed at as a frequent traveler. The location was great with walking access to many of the DT attractions. The evening hosted bar was a great amenity with activities for the kids. Our room was beautiful - great decor and layout. I can't say enough good things about this hotel - it was such a good experience that we will choose to stay at a Kimpton over other options!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is simply one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Room was amazing (got a free upgrade). Free drinks in the lounge (donate to the charity they had chosen). Lots of little snacks too. Location is very central and I can't wait to stay here again. Wish I could have kept the cute teddy bear that was left in my room !!!

Room Tip: Try and get a free upgrade by smiling lots and telling them how wonderful their hotel is.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Our room was very nice. The lobby is beautiful. There was free wine and beer tasting from 5-6pm, which was awesome. Someone played the piano at that time as well. Children could play Wii, paint or play with a giant Jenga set during that time. The staff was very helpful with direction and dining suggestions. We wished that there was a pool and that we had the option to self-park instead of the expensive valet parking. There was a small leak in the ceiling of our room by the closet, but that was fixed when we brought it to the hotel's attention. We were pleasantly surprised that the hotel provided some baby products for our son when we requested a crib. Overall, a very good experience. We would gladly stay at the Hotel Monaco again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thanks so much for your review on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate the feedback. I did note that there was a small water leak in the closet which you reported and was fixed. I apologize for the inconvenience.

We look forward to your next visit.

Thanks again,

Craig

Craig Thompson

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Each time we've stayed in a Kimpton hotel, we've had a great experience and this time was no exception. Because of that, we stayed another night even though we live about 12 miles away. We ran in a nearby event and staying local was the reason we pursued this place, but originally it was chosen by Priceline.
They helped get is a rate extremely close to Priceline for the second night. We parked across the street and enjoyed their wine/been hour at 5.
The entire experience was fabulous.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Newlovenewlife2012
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco for an extended stay in January 2014. I stayed at the hotel for about two weeks, and it was a great, comfortable place to stay. I'd definitely recommend it if you are looking for a hotel with personality, great service and a central location.

The hotel has a boutique feel to it, with many unique touches - patterns EVERYWHERE in the decor, a nightly complimentary happy hour, and wonderful lounge area. It isn't as sophisticated in its design and aesthetic as other options in the area (i.e. The Nines or The Ace), but having stayed at both, I will say that this is perhaps the best in terms of comfort and service.

I stayed in a suite, which was lovely, and the bed and linens were top notch. Incredibly comfortable and quiet, cozy night's sleep. The bathroom and toiletries were nice (CO Bigelow toiletries, nice touch), though the bathroom wasn't as modern as I would have liked. And the patterns are literally EVERYWHERE. The wallpapers, sofa, carpet, even animal print bathrobes have contrasting patterns. It makes it quite interesting and home-y, but also makes it feel less sleek than I would have liked.

The room service was prompt, though the selection was a bit mediocre, but you can definitely get quality food at a decent price (for room service, at least). Though, that being said there is great food in the area if you are willing to walk a block or two.

The complimentary happy hour is a great perk, if you can make it there before 6PM from work or sightseeing. It's great to relax in the comfortable lobby lounge with a local wine or beer and read or catch up on news on your iPad. It did get quite crowded, though, so it may not be as quiet as you'd like.

The onsite restaurant is convenient, but mediocre for breakfast, and while the service was great and drinks were tasty, the food and ambiance were lacking something.

The staff are incredibly helpful, and many times I was greeted with smiles and advice on getting around and things to do in the area.

The real area of improvement I think this hotel could use would be surrounding it's usefulness for traveling businesspeople. I was staying at the hotel while on business, and the "business center" is pretty outdated - the printer didn't work, and the "office center" was essentially a fluorescent lit walk-in closet on the top floor. It didn't feel as nice as the rest of the hotel. Also, the rooms I stayed in (I stayed at this hotel twice within the two months in two different rooms) did not have desks for work, they had a large circular table with chairs, which didn't lend itself very well to setting up a laptop and any paperwork. A bit awkward.

All in all though, I would highly recommend this hotel for a long weekend in Portland, especially if you are looking for a bit of comfort while doing so.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite, if you can afford it!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JetsetNick

Thanks for your review on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate the feedback. As a result of your feedback I am going to add a project of updating our business center. I agree that we can do a better job. Thanks for prompting me to get this up to the high standards of the rest of the hotel.

We look forward to the very great pleasure of serving you again in the hopefully near future.

Craig