“Wonderful Stay in Downtown Portland”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco for two nights. We've enjoyed our stays at other Kimpton hotels and the Monaco did not disappoint. We received excellent service from check-in to check-out. The uniquely decorated rooms and lobby are spacious providing room to spread out and relax. The hotel is centrally located within walking distance of many shopping and eating establishments. Front desk staff and bellmen/valets gave us spot on recommendations and directions for dining and other activities. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have just stayed for 2 nights at the hotel Monaco. It was a first class hotel, with first class accommodation and facilities. Every member of the staff was so friendly and helpful. The room was funky and fun - very clean and with good quality toiletries and towels. The hotel is centrally located and staff are very knowledgeable with directions for all places we needed. Portland is a lovely city and very driver friendly.
Like a previous reviewer we used the restaurant for convenience only.

Room Tip: The 8th floor is a hypo-allergenic floor. No pets, no smoking and very clean and fresh.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco for 2 nights, based mostly on the great reviews here on TripAdvisor. It did not disappoint. The staff were lovely, helpful and responsive. We had a suite and it was funky and fun and spacious. The happy hour from 5-6 was a nice way to drink for cheap, chat with other travelers and pet some pups. They had non-alcoholic options and cheddar goldfish for the kiddos too!

Speaking of animals, the pet floors are separate from the non-pet floors, something I was very glad to find out. I had been nervous about barking dogs and "pet smell" and that wasn't an issue at all.

The location was central to the shopping, Pearl District and the riverfront. We'll be bringing the kids back, for sure.

The Red Star Tavern, the hotel restaurant was ok; we ate there for the convenience

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Both common areas and rooms are splendidly decorated (enough so as to earn a positive comment in French Vogue). However we found a previous guest's dustry & dirty socks etc, under a fancy curtain that apparently hadn't been moved in a while. Free wi-fi is great when so many high-end hotels have the cheek to charge for it. However, be aware that valet parking is a more-or-less mandatory extra $38 per night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thanks you so much for your recent review of your visit to the Hotel Monaco Portland. We were very glad to note that you enjoyed your visit. I did note that you found an item under a drape, and I am most apologetic. We will redouble our cleaning and deep cleaning efforts and programs in order to assure that this will not happen again.
In regards to the cost of parking we checked and it is in line with all major downtown properties. The cost includes free in and out privileges and our lot is secured and patrolled.
We look forward to the very great pleasure of your next visit.

Craig

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Great location in downtown Portland. Signature Kimpton services. Quiet, clean and comfortable rooms. Nice and helpful staff. My go to hotel chain. Easy walk to good shopping and wine in the lobby at 5, then back out to a great Portland dinner.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I love the Kimpton Hotel chain and the Hotel Monaco in Portland was wonderful! My daughter and I went to Portland for a "girls getaway" after Christmas. The service was exceptional, the rooms fun (we had bird wallpaper) and clean.

Every day at 5pm there was music, wine and a snack in the lobby. My daughter's favorite was Voodoo donut night.

We easily walked to the hotel from the train. There are a lot of homeless in the area which may make some people uncomfortable. There are wonderful restaurants nearby and shopping.

We asked for a room facing Mt. Hood and were lucky enough to see it several days.

Very dog friendly hotel, with Timmy, a Lab, who is the Director of Pet relations. Timmy was available during the days for us to love on when we were missing our own four legged family members. Because we knew we were going to miss our pets, the hotel offered the option of having a goldfish in our room. A pet away from home.

There are several unique options available to make your stay personalized. I chose to have a yoga mat in my room and it was there waiting upon arrival.

My daughter came down with a cold during our stay and late one night we called the front desk to see if there was any NyQuil for purchase. They had none but within 15 minutes someone was knocking on our door with a bottle of NyQuil. The clerk had sent someone to the drug store to pick some up! That is exceptional service.

I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I love staying at Kimpton Hotels and the Hotel Monaco was no exception.

This is the first time I stayed at a Kimpton with my dog and it was an excellent experience. All of the staff were super-friendly to my black pit bull (his breed and colour often scares people although he's the sweetest dog). Plus, my dog loved the free, handmade, organic dog treats that are available all day at the front desk.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple