“This Hotel Rocks!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Seattle, Washington
“This Hotel Rocks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I booked this hotel through a bidding site & was blown away for what we paid. Love how pet friendly they are – they even offer pet sitting & dog walking.

Check in process: Very easy. They even gave us goodies for our dog.

Room: I had booked just a regular room, so I called to request a king bed the morning of our stay. The lady at the desk upgraded us to a King Suite. WOW! The suite was huge (too bad we were only staying one night). We brought our dog with us & she had a ball exploring the room. Our dog slept on the bed with us, but they had a dog bed in the room, toys, treats along with bowls for food & water.

Service – Every person we encountered was great - friendly, helpful, etc. They even brought us a spoon when I needed it for our dog’s food. When we requested a late check-out they did it without an extra fee.

WiFi – There is a charge for wifi, but all you need to do is join the Kimpton Rewards & it’s free. Very easy to do online.

Location – Another great location for us. We happen to be there on the night of the Starlight parade. This hotel is right in-between the two routes.

Parking isn’t cheap, but they charge by the day not each in & out. I liked how the garage is beneath the hotel. My car even got parked behind the curtain once.

Food – We ordered room service for breakfast & it was tasty. The eggs tasted like real eggs. Did find it interesting that they didn’t bring any water with the food. Guess they want you to buy the bottles in the room.

I would definitely look at staying here again. May even have to try some of the other Kimpton properties around the country.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I booked this hotel for a one-night stay through Priceline, and was very happy when my Express Deal turned out to be this hotel! I arrived late and left early in the morning, and when we checked in the agent gave us two coupons for free cocktails in the restaurant as we'd missed the cocktail hour. The hotel was beautiful, very quirky rooms and very comfortable. The hotel is pet friendly and although we didn't have a dog with us (our one-night stay was actually so we could collect our new puppy from Portland the next morning!) we'd definitely go back with one, and spend longer there!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel recently. It was great. A "traditional" monaco in terms of decor and layout. The rooms are quite large and nicely appointed. They have an afternoon happy hour and snacks in the lobby. Most importantly, the staff was very friendly, efficient, and helpful.

It's not a big hotel, but it's also not a small hotel...even so the staff recognized you by name.

Its also in a good location but what really drove me to write the review was the service. It was better than any hotel I've experienced recently.

1 Thank pasag
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We had one night in Portland and heard the Hotel Monaco was nice. The decor is fun and quirky and the wine hour is a nice touch. We checked in without any trouble and the service was very friendly!

Our problems started when we headed to our room. Before we even got close we could hear the nonstop barking of a small dog. Turns out it was immediately on the otherside of our room. I called the front desk and they kindly moved us. There was no way we were going to listen to that all night. Twice while in the lobby my kids and I were barked at by a rather rambunctious medium to large sized dog it seemed the owner had a tough time keeping it on the leash.

Later in the evening we returned and were chatting with other guests in the lobby lounge area when the same dog charged at us barking and running around like mad scaring all the children. Honestly we weren't sure what it was going to do.

Turns out the owners were out to dinner and left the dog with hotel staff. Clearly it was more dog than they could handle. So... In order to feel comfortable we, the people, had to go lock ourselves in our room.

I honestly didn't realize "pet friendly" meant people were 2nd class.

The towels were very worn and so were the blankets on the pullout couch. Not what I would expect in a hotel like this.

I probably wouldn't care so much about the towels etc, but being threatened by animals in public spaces is too much for me, so I won't be staying here again and will think twice about kimpton properties.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank kidhauler
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thanks so much for your recent Trip Advisor review. I would like to clarify our pet friendly policies. First, we have all pet guests sign a pet contract. In that contract we go over items like not leaving a dog in a room unattended as it is likely to bark without the owner present. We also review keeping a dog on a leash at all times. We also have three floors in the hotel where we can guarantee that a dog has not stayed, and dogs are not allowed. Dogs are allowed in the lobby and during wine hour but again only on a leash and highly supervised. When we can we do pet sit for our guests, but the dog is supervised and kept in an area where there is an employee to watch over it, again always on a leash. I am very sorry that you expoerienced a barking dog, and was happy to note our reception desk moved you. I assure you that had one of our employees seen an aggressive dog that they would not hesitate to ask the owners to take the dog away from any further guest contact.

Again my apologies. I hope that you will return.

Craig

Craig Thompson
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I loved this hotel! It has such a fun, quirky style. I only stayed 1 night but I was very impressed with the service. The front desk staff were really helpful and friendly and went out of their way to make my stay comfortable. It's a little expensive but you get what you pay for and the location is excellent! I would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: The hotel is dog friendly so if you're not fond of sleeping in a room where a dog has been reque...
Prosser, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel is amazing based on its location, comfort, and customer service. The staff was always friendly and helpful. They fulfilled every request of mine without hesitation. I believe what makes this hotel stand out is the attention to all of the little details that make for a comfortable experience. I have stayed here twice and it will be the ONLY place I stay when I visit Portland!

Room Tip: Choose the suite... you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have stayed at the Hotel Monaco on many occasions, and whenever possible I try to return. I've been traveling and frequenting hotels for nearly 20 years so I guess I can say by now I've experienced a few of them. The Hotel Monaco stands out at or near the top of the long list of hotels I have been to. The service is outstanding - and VERY personalized. Like some hotels, they don't just find all the right "buzz" words that people want to hear, they actually have the DNA for quality and service and they consistently deliver a unique and superior product. They seem to really care about all their guests in a way that few other hotels do. Every staff person I have ever encountered, from the front desk, to the bellman, to the cleaning and maintenance staff, the parking attendants and the restaurant servers have been extremely courteous, friendly, creative prompt and professional and will go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The social hours and other creative activities, like morning group runs along the water, work to bring all the guests together and add to the enjoyment of the stay. In some ways, it feels like its own small community - relaxed and enjoying life. The rooms are fantastic - plush, clean and comfortable. And yes, the location is PERFECT - quick access to freeways and the airport, and walking distance to any and all that downtown Portland has to offer.

For 5 years straight, the experience has been consistently superior. I've yet to be disappointed in anything about the Hotel Monaco.

Room Tip: They are all great and spacious.
Green Features: Hotel Monaco is a very eco friendly hotel with lots of sustainable programs and policies.