“Love it!!!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 10 July 2014

In the past, I wanted to stay on the top floor in this hotel due to my dislike of hearing people above me if they are loud, but I was told that that was not possible because I have a service animal and that dogs are not allowed on the top floor because it is an allergy free room. Though I explained the Federal law pertaining to service animals, it just did not happen. Admittedly, it is a difficult thing to negotiate because I respect that people with allergies need a separate floor. I just did not want it to be the top one, so that all guests can have access to the top floor if needed or desired. Hence my not writing a negative review. This time I walked in and was told that I was welcome to stay on the top floor. I was so happy. I am really sensitive to noise, and I was so appreciative to be able to be on the top floor. The room is awesome. I love being able to have a separate room for my service dog to sleep. I am nocturnal, so it is really wonderful to be able to stay up with the light on, knowing that she is sleeping soundly in the room next to me.

Overall, staff people were friendly and helpful. Charlotte, the concierge was very knowledgeable and dedicated. The person who cleaned my room made it look so beautiful and clean. The gentlemen who came up to my room to repair the smoke alarm because it was set off by the hot shower I took was friendly and told me that he was working until eleven at night if I needed anything. Jenna, the Front desk staff was truly an exemplary staff member. She took a personal interest in making sure that my stay (as an Kimpton Inner circle member) was everything I wanted it to be. When things did not go smoothly at one point, she took the time to listen to me and offered me free movies and a reduction in the room rate due to the mistakes that people made (e.g. calling me twice late at night after I had requested that my phone be put Do Not Disturb and the fact I was not able to enjoy my in room amenity because I was told that I needed to pay for it- inner circle guests are offered an in room amenity of choice).

I really appreciated all of the effort that all of the staff made to make sure my stay was very comfortable.

The last part of my review is a heartfelt thank you to the person (I do not know who it was, but clearly it was a staff person in the Red Star Tavern ) who directly and lovingly spoke with the folks who were making hurtful comments about the fact that I had a service dog in a restaurant. Many people think that people who have blindness or deafness are the only folks that have service animals. He explained the Federal Law to them and also made it clear that it was perfectly fine and in accordance with health codes to have a service dog in the room (I went up to them after hearing them from down the hall to tell them how much I love and appreciate my service dog) Unfortunately, the Tavern staff had left by then, because I wanted to give hir a hug:)

Room Tip: Tell the staff what you like and they will give it to you if available
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Amy L
Write a ReviewReviews (3,196)

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I love Kimpton hotels because of the unique experience at each hotel and the Monaco Portland did not disappoint. From the reception to the decor, to biking, to checkout, it was a great experience across the board. It makes earning "Inner Circle" status worth every visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We read a few reviews and it seemed like a great hotel in an excellent location. We stayed 3 nights (fri-sun) in the Monaco King Suite because we wanted a separate sleep area for our 3 yo daughter.

The hotel service was great and we will definitely try to stay at other Kimpton Hotels in other cities if they are all as good as this one. It was wonderfully furnished with a great Moroccan feel in the lobby. There is complimentary ice cream happy hour from 2-4 in the lobby followed by complimentary cocktail happy hour from 5-6. Ice cream was obviously a big hit with our daughter. The cocktail happy hour was a hit as well. Wine, house cocktails, beer and chocolate tastings. I've been to many hotels that offer happy hours but I've never seen one so well attended. The lobby sitting area was buzzing with people and there were plenty of places to sit and a few activities for kids like giant jenga and painting while the parents had a drink.

Our room was fabulous and exceeded our expectations. A little quirky in the furniture and decor but it all worked. Very comfy king bed in the main sleeping areas plus a queen sofa bed in the suite with solid sliding doors to separate the sleeping areas. The hotel staff were very attentive when we needed/wanted extra linens or a gold fish (you can request one).

Free wifi is available if you sign up for the Kimpton membership program, also free. Will definitely look for other Kimpton Hotels around the country if they are like the Hotel Monaco in Portland.

Room Tip: Not sure how other rooms stack up but we stayed on the south side, across from the backside of the M...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Zandago
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Everyone was so helpful and nice at this hotel. They were able to offer many suggestions on things to do, places to eat, etc. The location is perfect and very close to the train stop. Shopping, and restaurants are extremely close by! You can't beat the wine hour every night and ice cream hour during the afternoon...and of course, wonderful coffee in the morning! Also....if you stay here, be sure to check out Blue Star Donuts....it's a few blocks away and is totally worth the walk!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just finished a July 4th weekend with 3 nights in a Queen-Queen Suite. Really was a fun hotel, with modern decor but very tasteful. Great staff and location was walking distance to most everything in the city. Would return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We arrive during wine happy hour, they offered us free wine beer & a special cocktail they concocted. Checked in, totally shocked at how beautiful this place was. The decor is very different but extremely upscale. Not a thing in our room matched but it somehow worked. The bed was amazing, bathroom is huge, we were even provided with zebra & leopard print robes! It's very well located in the heart of downtown Portland. Perfect for shopping, partying at night,or whatever your heart desires. this was one of the most quiet hotels I've ever stayed in in the heart of the city. Awesome valet service, worth the $38 we paid. Totally going back to stay at the Monaco again!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We enjoyed our very short stay. Staff had great recommendations for dining options. Beautiful lobby. We stayed in a King Suite on the street side. Very little street noise. We really are becoming Kimpton loyals!

Room Tip: Higher up the better
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thanks so much for your recent Trip Advisor review. Sound like you had a "great stay". Anything we could do to earn that 5th Trip Advisor star? My e mail is craig.thompson@monaco-portland.com. Would love to hear from you.

Craig