Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
US$195
Residence Inn
US$229
3,271 results
All reviewsred starking suitewine hourhappy houranimal print robessocial hourwine receptionliving roommini barevery eveningvoodoo donutsheart of downtownwine tastingvalet staffthe pearlsitting areafood carts
Reviewed 13 July 2014

How many times have you frequented a business without them seeming to notice a repeat customer but instead advertising special deals for new customers. I find that frustrating. Well, thank you very much to Hotel Monaco for seeing the light and having a different approach!
We go to Portland at least once a year and always stay at the Monaco Hotel. Initially we tried different hotels and were never satisfied enough to return, not until we found this one that is. We come back here because it is has a great location - central and close to the things we enjoy on a short trip including shopping, good restaurants, and Powell's bookstore. But Monaco Hotel has much more then just location, the rooms are very comfortable, there are nice amenities including morning coffee service and evening wine. And even with all that the best thing about this hotel is still the staff and the care they provide. They remember repeat visitors, acknowledge as much in both words and actions. They say thank you for coming back and sometimes even surprise you with complimentary treats as a show of appreciation.
When we stay here we feel special and appreciated. What a wonder find and amazing treat. I just wish more business of all kinds would follow this hotels example.

Room Tip: We always stay in a King Suite or Queen-Queen suite. They are large, have a separate bedroom, 2 TV sets, and very nice bathroom. If you have AAA or AARP you get a better rate. The hotel isn't cheap but then either is the attention and experience it provides. Loyalty members (and joining the program is free and applies to all Kimpton Hotels) get some fee mini bar treats and free wifi.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2014

What a lovely hotel! We were visiting family and wanted a hotel to experience downtown Portland. We certainly picked a great place. The staff was so helpful and friendly. The US Soccer team was playing and the staff eagerly gave us a wide selection of places to go and watch the game. The room was perfect with a very nice bathroom. We enjoyed drinks and breakfast at the Red Star Tavern attached to the hotel. We could walk to restaurants, wine bars and shopping. We will be back in Portland and we will certainly stay at the Hotel Monaco.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Clean, quirky sense of humor and superb customer service. When we stayed, we were upgraded to a queen suite, on the hypo-allergenic floor. As one who is chemically sensitive, this was much appreciated. Chlorine, especially, does not make my skin happy, so to have a room so clean without bleach being used was a great bonus. When we arrived, we checked the room thoroughly, as we do when staying in any property in the world. Upon lifting the mattress, we discoovered that some previous tenant left a pair of dirty socks there, in nearly the exact middle of the mattress. Now why would any one do that? I reported it to the front desk, and within 10 minutes, 3 housekeepers arrived to remove the offending socks, change the sheets, and apologize profusely. Then management called offering us free stuff (ice cream, sushi, etc.) and also apologizing. A very bizarre occurence that was handled with aplomb. If I'm ever again in Portland, my first choice for a hotel will be this one.

Room Tip: Chemically sensitive or don't like animals? Opt for the hypo-allergenic floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JFYDumfries_Virginia
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you so much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate your feedback. I am so sorry that you found a sock between the mattresses. We were also amazed that a guest would put a sock between the mattresses. Up until this time we have not insisted that our housekeepers pick up the mattress. Twice a year we go through all of our rooms and "deep clean" which includes flipping the mattresses and catching items like this. I think we can figure out a way to do this more frequently so it would be less likely to happen again. I am so sorry you had that experience. I noticed that you are a frequent Kimpton guest. We can add check mattress to your profile and every time you stay in a Kimpton our team(s) will check the mattresses, bedding etc. If you are OK with that I will add it to your profile. This should solve the problem permanently.

Thanks again for your visit, and for your review. We look forward to serving you again.

Craig

Craig Thompson

Reviewed 10 July 2014

In the past, I wanted to stay on the top floor in this hotel due to my dislike of hearing people above me if they are loud, but I was told that that was not possible because I have a service animal and that dogs are not allowed on the top floor because it is an allergy free room. Though I explained the Federal law pertaining to service animals, it just did not happen. Admittedly, it is a difficult thing to negotiate because I respect that people with allergies need a separate floor. I just did not want it to be the top one, so that all guests can have access to the top floor if needed or desired. Hence my not writing a negative review. This time I walked in and was told that I was welcome to stay on the top floor. I was so happy. I am really sensitive to noise, and I was so appreciative to be able to be on the top floor. The room is awesome. I love being able to have a separate room for my service dog to sleep. I am nocturnal, so it is really wonderful to be able to stay up with the light on, knowing that she is sleeping soundly in the room next to me.

Overall, staff people were friendly and helpful. Charlotte, the concierge was very knowledgeable and dedicated. The person who cleaned my room made it look so beautiful and clean. The gentlemen who came up to my room to repair the smoke alarm because it was set off by the hot shower I took was friendly and told me that he was working until eleven at night if I needed anything. Jenna, the Front desk staff was truly an exemplary staff member. She took a personal interest in making sure that my stay (as an Kimpton Inner circle member) was everything I wanted it to be. When things did not go smoothly at one point, she took the time to listen to me and offered me free movies and a reduction in the room rate due to the mistakes that people made (e.g. calling me twice late at night after I had requested that my phone be put Do Not Disturb and the fact I was not able to enjoy my in room amenity because I was told that I needed to pay for it- inner circle guests are offered an in room amenity of choice).

I really appreciated all of the effort that all of the staff made to make sure my stay was very comfortable.

The last part of my review is a heartfelt thank you to the person (I do not know who it was, but clearly it was a staff person in the Red Star Tavern ) who directly and lovingly spoke with the folks who were making hurtful comments about the fact that I had a service dog in a restaurant. Many people think that people who have blindness or deafness are the only folks that have service animals. He explained the Federal Law to them and also made it clear that it was perfectly fine and in accordance with health codes to have a service dog in the room (I went up to them after hearing them from down the hall to tell them how much I love and appreciate my service dog) Unfortunately, the Tavern staff had left by then, because I wanted to give hir a hug:)

Room Tip: Tell the staff what you like and they will give it to you if available
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Amy L
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I love Kimpton hotels because of the unique experience at each hotel and the Monaco Portland did not disappoint. From the reception to the decor, to biking, to checkout, it was a great experience across the board. It makes earning "Inner Circle" status worth every visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple