“A great hotel!”

Ranked #3 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“A great hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel was great! It was the perfect place to stay to explore downtown Portland. I loved that you were able to take a bike. Also, they have iced coffee for free in the morning!

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was in Portland for a brief visit with my better half and decided to give Hotel Monaco a shot based upon some of the pictures I'd seen. It looked to have a funky and fun decor compared to the other downtown options. It delivered in spades. The room was gorgeously appointed, well-maintained and excellent for unwinding. What really sets this hotel apart, however, is all of the "activities" it offers. There is a lively lobby that is always buzzing with activity and has several complimentary treats throughout the day -- ice cream in the afternoon, and free beer and wine in the early evening. The "sad" thing is that it's located in such a great area that you'll likely find yourself away from the hotel and enjoying the city during these times.

A few things to keep in mind before you take the plunge: the hotel is pet-friendly, meaning you can bring your dog along to stay. If you're afraid of animals, I would recommend that you look elsewhere. This was a welcome treat for an animal lover like myself, however. Most importantly, if you're looking to save a few dollars, you're going to want to steer out of downtown. Parking was around $80 for 2 days (I socked my car away when I arrived and didn't touch it until I checked out). WiFi was a punishing $12 per day for a suboptimal connection. Why do the upscale hotels always charge for it? I'll never understand. That being said, I don't think anybody would come to a place like this expecting to pinch pennies.

The only caveat that comes to mind is that the shower head was too low in the bath. I'm of relatively average height, but the unit was almost touching my head. Other than that, the bathroom was fantastic, as was everything else.

My verdict? I'll stay there again next time I'm in PDX.

Room Tip: Traffic noise is an issue on the lower floors
Green Features: Seamlessly eco-friendly -- it's clear that they want to make a difference, but they don't hammer you over the head with it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RockyMpls
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you so much for your recent Trip Advisor review. We really appreciate the feedback. I would like to point out a couple of items: Yes, we are pet friendly, but we offer three floors in the hotel where we can guarantee a pet has never stayed, and in fact we go to extra steps to make these rooms hypo-allergenic. These rooms do not have any feather or down. The linens are washed with non petroleum soaps. We use scent free hypo-allergenic cleaning products. We use special vacuum cleaners that feature a heppa filter, and we also have special heppa filters in the in room air filters. These filters significantly reduce the dust and dander from a normal hotel room. We have special hypo-allergenic soaps, shampoos, and conditioners available on request. We even have a special gluten free menu, and gluten free mini bar snacks available.

Regarding parking we charge in the same range of all downtown comparable hotels, and we are not the highest. Our lot is on property, and is locked, secured, and patrolled for maximum security. The parking price includes unlimited in and out privileges. Regarding wi fi charges, if you join our Kimpton Karma program (at no cost) we not only provide you with complimentary wi fi, but we also upgrade our Karma members to the best rooms and suites available based on space availability. Plus, we give all Karma members a $10 credit for the mini bar. Yes, we do occassionally send out information about promotions to our Karma membership, but it is not excessive.
Thanks for your feedback. If you have any questions or if I can assist with your reservations for a future stay don't hesitate to e mail me.

We look forward to your next visit.

Craig

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at the Monaco. The room was well appointed and maintained, and the location is very convenient, yet quiet in the evening. The staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel is dog-friendly, which was not important to us but was charming.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have a lot of light, particularly on the higher floors.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave K
North Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I loved everything about Hotel Monaco from the funky décor to the ice-cream treat in the afternoon and the coffee in the morning. The lobby felt like a large living room ~ games for the children, a piano bar at happy hour, and lots of comfy furniture to enjoy while waiting for the rest of the group to meet up. Our room was exceptionally clean and comfortable. The staff was always welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thanks so much for your recent Trip Advisor review. We really appreciate the feedback. The ice cream in the afternoon is new for us so we were happy you and your kids enjoyed it. We are always trying to do things that surprise and delight our guests. I look forward to your next visit. If I can be of assistance with your stay please e mail me.

Regards,

Craig
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Aside from waiting for our room to be ready the experience at this hotel was amazing. There is no question what makes this hotel unique is the amazing staff. From the front desk to the bell staff these people really made the difference. First time staying at a Kimpton hotel and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2014
Thanks for your recent Trip Advisor review. We really appreciate your feedback. I did note that your room was not ready at the time you tried to check in. I really apologize for this "hiccup", and assure you that we will redouble our efforts to avoid making any guest wait. I travel often and nothing is more disruptive than having to store my bags, and wait to get into my room. I noted that other than this that you did enjoy your visit and plan on returning. When you make that reservation (even iof you are not planning to arrive early) mark down early arrival. We are really good (I'd estimate 99.999%) about getting all early arrivals in before check in time (or at the time they tell us).

Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

How many times have you frequented a business without them seeming to notice a repeat customer but instead advertising special deals for new customers. I find that frustrating. Well, thank you very much to Hotel Monaco for seeing the light and having a different approach!
We go to Portland at least once a year and always stay at the Monaco Hotel. Initially we tried different hotels and were never satisfied enough to return, not until we found this one that is. We come back here because it is has a great location - central and close to the things we enjoy on a short trip including shopping, good restaurants, and Powell's bookstore. But Monaco Hotel has much more then just location, the rooms are very comfortable, there are nice amenities including morning coffee service and evening wine. And even with all that the best thing about this hotel is still the staff and the care they provide. They remember repeat visitors, acknowledge as much in both words and actions. They say thank you for coming back and sometimes even surprise you with complimentary treats as a show of appreciation.
When we stay here we feel special and appreciated. What a wonder find and amazing treat. I just wish more business of all kinds would follow this hotels example.

Room Tip: We always stay in a King Suite or Queen-Queen suite. They are large, have a separate bedroom, 2 TV s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

What a lovely hotel! We were visiting family and wanted a hotel to experience downtown Portland. We certainly picked a great place. The staff was so helpful and friendly. The US Soccer team was playing and the staff eagerly gave us a wide selection of places to go and watch the game. The room was perfect with a very nice bathroom. We enjoyed drinks and breakfast at the Red Star Tavern attached to the hotel. We could walk to restaurants, wine bars and shopping. We will be back in Portland and we will certainly stay at the Hotel Monaco.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family