“Great location and fun for kids”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Just stayed four nights at the Hotel Monaco with our two boys ages 5,7. Was nervous about staying at such a nice place with rambunctious kids but it turned out just fine.
The concierge Nicole had emailed us before we arrived to see if she could help with any plans during our stay- never had a concierge do that before! She recommended some great restaurants and things to do:
Papa Haydn's and Jakes Crawfish, Mothers Bistro. The willamette jet tours were also a highlight of the trip- donuts in the water! Crazy!
The rooms were great- the kids had mini tiger striped bathrobes and they each got brown teddy bears which they took everywhere during our visit.
Overall a very fun stay at a stylish hotel-
Ice cream from 3:00-4:00 was a nice touch too :).

• Stayed: July 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (3,168)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Recently while traveling in the us state of Oregon, we booked and stayed at the hotel Monaco. It was only for one night, .....unfortunately
I have been blessed to have travelled to many countries and had some wonderful experiences along the way. This was one of those which will I will remember for a long time.
I was not familiar with Kimpton hotels and I was so pleased with this one. Not your standard
hotel bed ,desk and nightstand...there were so many unique and wonderful features, I could have just sat in my room and not gone anywhere else. " I loved it." The staff were wonderful, the whole hotel was so clean and felt like a home rather than just a room.
I will definitely seek out other Kimpton hotels in the future.
Did I mention they are animal friendly? My favorite part......

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for two weeks because of business, and while I think this hotel is nice I don't really think it meets the needs of a business traveler. The mini fridge is stocked full of expensive drinks with barely any room for anything I would want to put in it. The room service menu did not have anything simple on it for a quick bite which led to me having to always go outside of the hotel for food.
The room was cleaned daily but I don't think they changed the sheets the whole time I was there. They just remade the bed. The people are very nice and that's a plus. Also be careful with your room key, mine deactivated 6 times! Each time they told me the cards are very sensitive to magnets. Overall it's a very nice hotel downtown.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank samlachula
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thanks for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate the feedback. You have some great points. I did have a couple of quick comments. We offer complimentary refrigerators and microwaves to all of our guests. We also can have them in the room prior to your arrival. Just let us know. We also are able to adapt to a guest request for special food or snack items, and actually take great pride in finding out what our guests like and through our Kimpton Karma program (guest loyalty) can have special snacks in the room for your arrival. All you need to do is to sign up fo Karma (which also provides a $10 mini bar credit, and complimnetary wi fi, plus a room upgrade to the best room or suite based on availability). We don't change the sheeets daily, but will if that's what you desire. Just let us know. Those keys do deactivate particularly if you carry the key in your wallet. We now put the key in a paper jacket which if left in the jacket seems to help it from deactivating.
On your next visit e mail me so that I can persoanlly see to the details of your stay.

We look forward to the pleasure of serving you again in the hopefully near future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Combination business and pleasure trip-- the Hotel Monaco always does an incredible job. Fabulous location- great rooms and lobby for relaxing- super friendly staff. I have stayed here a few times and am never disappointed

Room Tip: suites are awesome!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thanks so much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I noted that you had a good visit. Thanks for this feedback.

We look forward to the very great pleasure of serving you again in the hopefully near future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We have been staying at Kimpton properties for many years now and have had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Monaco in Portland a couple of times previous.

As with the previous visits, the service was fantastic. While there were a few minor glitches, it was the way that they were handled that sets the Hotel Monaco apart from other hotels.

In addition, the programs that are offered to engage guests are well thought out. There is a wine hour in the lobby every evening and they also have a large jenga game to keep you entertained. There is an area for the kids to paint and do some artwork with the parents enjoy that wine hour and I also believe there is an ice cream hour or 2 in the afternoon.

I would highly recommend this hotel to others, and will certainly continue to stay at the Monaco when I am in Portland again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thanks so much for your recent review of the Hotel Monaco Portland on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate the feedback. I noted that you enjoyed the items that we offer our guests that are engaging such as the wine hour, the paints and canvasses we put out nightly during wine hour, and the giant Jenga. We also offer complimentary coffee both hot and iced each morning, and our afternoon social ice cream bars from 2 pm to 4 pm. We also put out a selection of Wi games for the kids (but you would be surprised how many adults play). Each evening we feature a local, piano player on our baby grand, and on most nights we have something else interesting going on such as a Tarot Card reader, a local chocolatier, or brewery or winery. Plus, we bring in a ballon guy for the kids, and we feature a pet psychic for our guest that bring a pet. Speaking of pets while we do love our 4 legged family friends did you know that we have 3 hypo-allergenic guest room floors where a pet has (and will) never stayed, and the rooms are treated differently than the rest of the hotel. These hypo-allergenic rooms offer special heppa vacuum and room filters, which significantly reduce the dander and dust found in a normal hotel room. Plus, we have hypo-allergenic products such as soap, shampoo, lotions and conditioners available at no charge on request. We also have gluten free items in the private bar and a gluten free menu for our in room dining.

We really look forward to your next visit. If I can be of assistance please don't hesitate to email me.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

******AMAZING STAFF *****!!!
My husband and I were recently displaced from our home due to water damage, and after getting the run-around from our insurance company, we found the Hotel Monaco in our most desperate hour. True to form, the hotel is an absolute oasis of serenity....palatial rooms, gorgeous decor, and truly the kindest staff EVER. They were so compassionate, giving us a bottle of wine and other goodies to help restore our sanity and repair our wounded spirits. Meghan at the front desk went above and beyond to help us in every way! After 20 years in television, I've traveled alot between LA, NYC, etc....and i have never experienced a place with such a genuinely caring staff.
I guess it shouldn't be surprising that a hotel so welcoming of pets has a heart of gold...but nonetheless, if you seek a truly friendly experience -- in addition to extraordinary fun and sumptuous accommodations -- look no further than Hotel Monaco. It's an absolute gem! Xoxo

Room Tip: Go for a corner room!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thanks so much for your recent Trip Advisor review. And thanks for your mention of Megan. I will make sure she sees this review, as I am confident she will be very pleased. On your next visit if I can be of service please don't hesitate to e mail me. Special occasions are my (and my hotel's) specialty.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights on a work related trip to Portland. Our room was massive and was decorated in the unique Kimpton property fashion, with a great Portland vibe (bird wallpaper). The bed was very comfortable and there was a separate living room area with desk and free wi-fi. The location was terrific and allowed us to walk to much of what Portland has to offer. Like other Kimpton properties, they offer the nightly wine reception, along with flavored waters throughout the day and even an ice cream hour. The employees were all very helpful and friendly as well. You can never go wrong with a Kimpton hotel, especially this one.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thanks so much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate the feedback. I noted that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to serving you again in the hopefully near future.