“Good location, kind of expensive”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 25 July 2014

You can take MAX here from the airport for a few bucks and never have to drive if you're stay is based on the East side. Otherwise you will need a rental car or a few taxi fares... It is about 2-3 blocks from the nearest MAX stop, which is easy even in you're wearing heels. Otherwise it's around $25/night to park your car. We've done both. You are in "fareless square" area; meaning the light rail (MAX) is free for the main city area. That said, we walked pretty much everywhere. Excellent dining and shopping within 5-10 minutes' walking distance. This is our favorite PDX hotel, it's just kind of pricey for us, so we stay in cheaper places sometimes. We have stayed here maybe 10 different times. All the rooms are good, beer/wine free in lobby every evening, good bathrooms, nice linens, QUIET. You will love staying here. We would stay here every time we were in town if it were nearer our budget. We have gone out to Columbia River Gorge from here and preferred staying at Edgefield/McMennamins vs. driving back and forth in a single day. The Monaco is quiet, clean, well-staffed, and perfectly located for an East-side stay. It's in our top 10 list for sure!

Room Tip: All rooms have been good for us so far
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I recently stayed here for one night on a business trip. It was my first trip to Portland so I have no other hotels there to compare it to, but I felt the hotel excelled in some areas and lagged in others. Thus my overall average rating. Location seemed central to many restaraunts and watering holes. The central part of downtown Portland was very manageable on foot. The hotel itself seemed a little dated. While overall in good condition, my room had a distinctly 70's feel to it - not sure if that was by design or it was just out of date? It was large and had a comfortable bed. The bathroom was also in good condition and more modern than the rest of the room. Average to good wifi signal. I did not eat at the hotel so can't opine on room service quality. Service was good. Reception and concierge both friendly and helpful. Overall not a bad spot to stay in a good location just needs some updating.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank eurotripper22
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Large rooms updated and comfortable. Beds are top notch Better than average service and front desk. Funky decor. Don't think about using business center not an amenity, they charge a steep fee but whatever. Good bar and food on the ground floor.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Just stayed four nights at the Hotel Monaco with our two boys ages 5,7. Was nervous about staying at such a nice place with rambunctious kids but it turned out just fine.
The concierge Nicole had emailed us before we arrived to see if she could help with any plans during our stay- never had a concierge do that before! She recommended some great restaurants and things to do:
Papa Haydn's and Jakes Crawfish, Mothers Bistro. The willamette jet tours were also a highlight of the trip- donuts in the water! Crazy!
The rooms were great- the kids had mini tiger striped bathrobes and they each got brown teddy bears which they took everywhere during our visit.
Overall a very fun stay at a stylish hotel-
Ice cream from 3:00-4:00 was a nice touch too :).

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Recently while traveling in the us state of Oregon, we booked and stayed at the hotel Monaco. It was only for one night, .....unfortunately
I have been blessed to have travelled to many countries and had some wonderful experiences along the way. This was one of those which will I will remember for a long time.
I was not familiar with Kimpton hotels and I was so pleased with this one. Not your standard
hotel bed ,desk and nightstand...there were so many unique and wonderful features, I could have just sat in my room and not gone anywhere else. " I loved it." The staff were wonderful, the whole hotel was so clean and felt like a home rather than just a room.
I will definitely seek out other Kimpton hotels in the future.
Did I mention they are animal friendly? My favorite part......

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for two weeks because of business, and while I think this hotel is nice I don't really think it meets the needs of a business traveler. The mini fridge is stocked full of expensive drinks with barely any room for anything I would want to put in it. The room service menu did not have anything simple on it for a quick bite which led to me having to always go outside of the hotel for food.
The room was cleaned daily but I don't think they changed the sheets the whole time I was there. They just remade the bed. The people are very nice and that's a plus. Also be careful with your room key, mine deactivated 6 times! Each time they told me the cards are very sensitive to magnets. Overall it's a very nice hotel downtown.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank samlachula
Craig T, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thanks for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate the feedback. You have some great points. I did have a couple of quick comments. We offer complimentary refrigerators and microwaves to all of our guests. We also can have them in the room prior to your arrival. Just let us know. We also are able to adapt to a guest request for special food or snack items, and actually take great pride in finding out what our guests like and through our Kimpton Karma program (guest loyalty) can have special snacks in the room for your arrival. All you need to do is to sign up fo Karma (which also provides a $10 mini bar credit, and complimnetary wi fi, plus a room upgrade to the best room or suite based on availability). We don't change the sheeets daily, but will if that's what you desire. Just let us know. Those keys do deactivate particularly if you carry the key in your wallet. We now put the key in a paper jacket which if left in the jacket seems to help it from deactivating.
On your next visit e mail me so that I can persoanlly see to the details of your stay.

We look forward to the pleasure of serving you again in the hopefully near future.

Craig

Craig Thompson

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Combination business and pleasure trip-- the Hotel Monaco always does an incredible job. Fabulous location- great rooms and lobby for relaxing- super friendly staff. I have stayed here a few times and am never disappointed

Room Tip: suites are awesome!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thanks so much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I noted that you had a good visit. Thanks for this feedback.

We look forward to the very great pleasure of serving you again in the hopefully near future.
Craig