“Fun hotel in great location”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 18 August 2009

My girlfriends and I spent a weekend in Portland and had a very nice stay here. We had a suite which easily accommodated all fiv eof us, and the fold out sofa bed was one of the most comfortable I'ver ever slept on. The hotel had the funky fun feel of the Hotel Monacos across the country, with nice amenities. Excleent location walking distance to market along the river and a variety of restaurants as well as Powell's Books, etc.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland

Reviewed 17 August 2009

Hotel Monaco is fabulous; chic interior, uber-helpful staff, unbeatable location, pet friendly, complimentary wine and snacks every evening, and reasonably priced!

Kimpton's always make sure your needs are taken care of, down to your pillow preference; The Hotel Monaco isn't an exception! Every detail of my stay was fantastic, and I would highly recommends the Monaco to anyone staying in Portland and want a central, chic location. It doesn't hurt that it's a five minute walk from Voodoo Donut either, does it? :)

Two things to take note of- most NBA teams stay here, so be aware that there may be fans waiting outside the hotel. Also, the late-night food is highly marked up and comes from a dive down the street. If you want some crappy light night chow, just walk a few doors down.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2009

we really loved this hotel. the location (we walked everywhere) , the room (soooo suite!) , the staff (nice recommendations for food and drink!) , the big dopey lab behind the desk... we will stay here again if in portland. really great experience. thanks,

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2009

I was quite dissapointed in the staff at the monaco (pronounced man-ako).
The room part was o.k. and there was some nice wine tasting downstairs,
but the problem all arose when I wanted to go to the airport.
I was shuffled in to a lincoln town car when I specifically asked for just a taxi.
A strange little character, who looked like a dancing boy with clogs on just insisted that I get into a COMPLETELY UNMARKED town car waiting in front with another shady little guy driving . I told them I prefer a marked taxi with a meter but they told me it would be the same price and no problem... I gave in and took the town car. It was $35 which was probably the same price as a taxi but I felt uneasy with the driver, he was kind of short and didn't have complete control of the car. I've heard about unlicensed cabs or town cars in other cities but I expected more out of the monaco. Next time I'll try a
different Kimpton, a little less noisy and busy than this one.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank motomatt7736
Steve080, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2009

Dear motomatt7736 -

Thank you for writing a review and providing us with your feedback from your recent stay.

Please accept our apologies if transportation alternatives were not communicated very clearly. We certainly do not intend for anyone to feel uncomfortable with our services or those of our partners. We do work closely with our partner towncar companies and in this case please be assured that the company is a reputable one.

You are correct, the cost for towncar vs. taxi in Portland is roughly the same, so there is not generally a difference in cost. We have found that our customers enjoy the comfort of a towncar, but are always happy to provide taxi arrangements as needed for you if preferred. We apologize if this was something that you did not feel was an option, and will address this as a training issue with our staff.

If we may be of service or provide any additional details we hope to hear from you so that we may address them. It is our sincere hope that on your next travel to Portland that you will consider the Monaco and Kimpton once again.

Warmly,

Steve S.
for Hotel Monaco Portland

Reviewed 7 August 2009

Many great extra touches here-- such as wine-cheese reception in the late afternoon, complimentary Starbucks coffee in lobby 24/7, computer & internet access free in lobby & printing of boarding passes. Most comfortable and accomodating of any hotel we've visited. Convenient downtown location, (but there is a hefty fee to park). Parking is costly in Portland so pick up your rental car as you leave 2 blocks down. Hotel rooms are nicely decorated and very pleasant. Lobby is large & welcoming. Staff eager to please and friendly. I wish all hotels offered such fine customer-friendly services instead of charging for Wi-Fi and every little thing you do!! Corner rooms are particularly charming. Overall the hotel has a trendy but comfortable atmosphere. Well mannered pets are welcomed and treats are provided. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I did a lot of research on where to stay in downtown Portland when we visited and chose Hotel Monaco. I was so happy with my decision. We travel a lot and stay in some very nice places. This hotel was right up there. I couldn't believe how large our room was. It was a suite with a separate living area that really made our stay comfortable. The bed was fabulous - I don't know what it was but it was incredibly comfortable with very nice linens. The bathroom was really large, which was nice, with lots of counter space. I've attached some photos. Also, this hotel was in a great location - we walked everywhere and great shopping was right around the corner. We also walked to Voodoo donuts and Saturday Market, all close. They had free wireless in the room, which let me get some work done easily. Loved this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2009

This was our first time to Portland but we will return! It is a fun city with great restaurants within easy walking distance of this hotel. The hotel seems like new with spacious rooms and very pretty bathrooms. I didn't always love the choice of colors and fabrics, but they were expensive.

All of the employees were very helpful and made good suggestions for shopping and restaurants. We look forward to returning the next time we are in Oregon.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple