“Wonderful evening out”

Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Portland
“Wonderful evening out”
Reviewed 14 February 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco on the Friday night of Valentine's weekend. Being from Portland, we weren't there to see the city (however their location is fabulous for shopping and walking around downtown) but were mainly looking for a night away from the kids and some extra sleep! Check-in was very quick and the front desk staff was amazing. After hearing that we were there looking for a romantic getaway, they included complimentary breakfast and sent us up to our room with a bottle of wine (we had missed their free happy hour). We stayed in the King suite and it was good sized and very clean. We used their in-room spa services and the massages were fabulous! Breakfast was delivered right on time and the staff was very curteous. If we are in need of a night away, we would definitely return to Hotel Monaco.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
oregon
Reviewed 13 February 2010

Ware to start. I have never been to a place that tried so hared to nickel and dime you to death. The room was a corner room with a view of two rundown buildings. The place was quite but the road noes from out side was all night long. A good size room but it seemed so small I can only think it was the dark browns that made it feel small. Every thing was laid out for you and every item had a high price on it. The romance was not in this hotel. And the red stare restraint was nice to the eyes service was pretty good but that it I well not even give them a second chance. If I do not get one why should they. A valentine weekend up in smoke.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
cupcakes4life, Craig Thompson, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, 2 March 2010
I am sorry to hear that your weekend here at the Hotel Monaco was anything less than perfect. Constantly striving to give the very best service, it is disappointing to hear that our room did not meet your expectations. We find that many guests enjoy the variety of items offered in our honor bar. We strive to price these items competitively, reflecting taste as well as convenience. We appreciate your comments and will take them into consideration when rotating honor bar items. The interior of our hotel is unique and we admit that the whimsical nature can be specific to one's taste. Awarded the 2007 Boutique Design Award for her use of color, our interior decorator Cheryl Rowley designed our property to reflect the Portland Rose Gardens and definitely uses a variety of colors. Again, we greatly appreciate your feedback.
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Great location. Close to super shopping. Beautiful suite and comfortable. Attached Aveda salon/spa. Very helpful and friendly staff. Daily complimentary wine hour in the 'living room'. Would love to stay here again.
TIP: sign up for their rewards program and you'll get the internet for free.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed 3 February 2010

I have recently decided to stay only in Kimpton Hotels when on business, and am pleased with my decision. There is generally a consistency to the hotels that one can count on. The rooms are comfortable, and I enjoy the whacky color schemes. In Portland, because I am a member of the loyalty club, I was upgraded to a junior suite, which was great since I was able to use the desk for some work. The fitness facility is 24 hour, and perfectly adequate. I used both the bike and the elliptical trainer, as well as some weights etc. There were headsets and water provided.

Only complaints: Not sure why there is a $5.00 charge for water in the room. Just go to the gym and get a bottle. Also, my Verizon wireless card did not work well, which means it's a Portland problem, I think.

I didn't eat in the restaurant on this trip, but my colleagues seemed to enjoy their breakfast. The hotel is well located so I got oatmeal at Starbucks, and there is also a Peets nearby.

I admit I worry about the pet friendliness, since I am not a pet owner, but I didn't hear any barking animals.

Honolulu
Reviewed 19 January 2010

My friends and I had a great stay at the Hotel Monaco. We got a great rate on Priceline for 3 rooms and after staying there we would be happy to the pay rack rate the next time we visit Portland. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and seemed genuinely to enjoy their job - which is a rarity. Allison, the concierge, helped us track down tickets to a sold out Traiblazers game and we enjoyed talking to Tim, "da Hawaiian."
Hotel Monaco is a few short blocks away from the Max, it's steps away from shopping and food, and it was a convenient and comfortable home base for our long weekend in Portland. We especially enjoyed the nightly wine and beer reception in the lobby. It was a great way to start our evenings!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Austin
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I spent four nights at the Monaco. I am a big fan of the Kimpton chain, though the decor can sometimes be more "busy" than handsome. Since it is the wet, "down" season in Portland, the stay was an incredible value given the rate paid for the upgrade to a king suite. The staff could not have been better--from the check-in at the front desk, superb housekeeping, the doormen (special shout-out for Cullen)--really, everyone I encountered---and that is a rarity. The accommodations were were quite comfortable with all the features I needed. (OK, a safe large enough for a laptop would have been better, as well as a flat screen larger than 32"--but that sounds greedy!) The social hour in the lobby (live, soft music and local beer and wine) looked grand though I was not able to really participate. This sounds a bit gushy though I am not prone to hyperbole. All in all, though, the hotel did a great job and I should acknowledge their excellence.

irn00430
Reviewed 17 January 2010

I travel all over the world. I come to Portland often lately and my company booked this hotel for me last week. Walking into the front door, I thought 'wow, nice place!' I got to the front desk to check in and the woman behind the counter was neither overly friendly nor was she rude, she just didnt really seem to care either way. She was polite but cold and her smile was not genuine but was in place. It was ok service. Room service was a joke, however. I had to wait forever for a meal that came cold and tasteless! The hotel is well appointed, with bright decor and quiet rooms. Be aware that that there will be barking, yapping dogs in the lobby at happy hour, so you can forget having a relaxing time. The Hotel Monaco was a fine hotel, with average service and a great location. If I had to pick a hotel in Portland to stay in, it would not be this one though. There are many nice hotels in Portland that have far superior service.

1 Thank irn00430
RKunzer, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, 22 January 2010
I would like to apologize for the so-so service you received during your recent stay with us. At the Hotel Monaco Portland we take great pride in the service we provide to all of our guest and I am so very sorry you did not experience the service we are known for. Like all TripAdvisor reviews, I will be sure to share your comments with our staff at our next meeting. I will use your remarks as a reminder on how each and every staff member can influence a guest stay. Thanks so much for your time with your review of our hotel and we look forward to being your host again.

Kind Regards,