“Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Albany, Oregon
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Let me just start by saying I payed full price for the roomand then some ($300+ for one night) , I opted to splurge on the Romance package the hotel offered. The hotel and our room was stylish and hip, but I was disappointed to see the wallpaper peeling off the walls in our room. The rose petals on the bed were a nice touch but the champagne was cheap. The real miss....breakfast. The romance package was supposed to include breakfast in bed, we filled out the request (bagel, scone OR Croissant., juice and coffee) and left it hanging on our door before we went to bed, 9 am (the time we requested breakfast to be delivered) came and went. At 9:20 I called the Front Desk only to be told that they must have missed our ticket. Room Service called back to take our order and I was made to feel like it was my fault they hadn't recieved our order in the first place. I asked for an extra Bagel as we weren't sure of portion size and was abruptly told NO. Breakfast was finally delivered at 9:40, exactly 20 minutes before our scheduled in room massage. So instead of the leisurely breakfast in bed I had hoped for, I had the same experience I have every morning while getting ready for work....sucking down a lukewarm coffee and eating a cold dry scone while getting showered and dressed. BTW, no milk or cream on the tray....I feel a bit jipped, I paid for every detail of a LONG overdue night away (we have a 1 year old and other children) with my wonderful husband and the morning was a total flop. During our massage..which I was almost to ticked off to enjoy (but got over it) Housekeeping knocked on our door. Granted, we hadn't left the DND sign on the door but we were checking out shortly, since when do they clean your room when you are checking out that day?? While my husband and I have not traveled at all in the last year, we are extensive travelers and have had better service and certainly better breakfast at a Holiday Inn. Monaco Managers...if you read these reviews....Room 314 on February 13th. We will not stay in your hotel again nor recommend you to friends. There are so many nice hotels in Portland, don't waste your money here, it's apparently no big deal to them if they drop the ball.

3 Thank Suzanne555

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
Portland
Reviewed 14 February 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco on the Friday night of Valentine's weekend. Being from Portland, we weren't there to see the city (however their location is fabulous for shopping and walking around downtown) but were mainly looking for a night away from the kids and some extra sleep! Check-in was very quick and the front desk staff was amazing. After hearing that we were there looking for a romantic getaway, they included complimentary breakfast and sent us up to our room with a bottle of wine (we had missed their free happy hour). We stayed in the King suite and it was good sized and very clean. We used their in-room spa services and the massages were fabulous! Breakfast was delivered right on time and the staff was very curteous. If we are in need of a night away, we would definitely return to Hotel Monaco.

oregon
Reviewed 13 February 2010

Ware to start. I have never been to a place that tried so hared to nickel and dime you to death. The room was a corner room with a view of two rundown buildings. The place was quite but the road noes from out side was all night long. A good size room but it seemed so small I can only think it was the dark browns that made it feel small. Every thing was laid out for you and every item had a high price on it. The romance was not in this hotel. And the red stare restraint was nice to the eyes service was pretty good but that it I well not even give them a second chance. If I do not get one why should they. A valentine weekend up in smoke.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
cupcakes4life, Craig Thompson, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Portland, responded to this review, 2 March 2010
I am sorry to hear that your weekend here at the Hotel Monaco was anything less than perfect. Constantly striving to give the very best service, it is disappointing to hear that our room did not meet your expectations. We find that many guests enjoy the variety of items offered in our honor bar. We strive to price these items competitively, reflecting taste as well as convenience. We appreciate your comments and will take them into consideration when rotating honor bar items. The interior of our hotel is unique and we admit that the whimsical nature can be specific to one's taste. Awarded the 2007 Boutique Design Award for her use of color, our interior decorator Cheryl Rowley designed our property to reflect the Portland Rose Gardens and definitely uses a variety of colors. Again, we greatly appreciate your feedback.
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Great location. Close to super shopping. Beautiful suite and comfortable. Attached Aveda salon/spa. Very helpful and friendly staff. Daily complimentary wine hour in the 'living room'. Would love to stay here again.
TIP: sign up for their rewards program and you'll get the internet for free.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed 3 February 2010

I have recently decided to stay only in Kimpton Hotels when on business, and am pleased with my decision. There is generally a consistency to the hotels that one can count on. The rooms are comfortable, and I enjoy the whacky color schemes. In Portland, because I am a member of the loyalty club, I was upgraded to a junior suite, which was great since I was able to use the desk for some work. The fitness facility is 24 hour, and perfectly adequate. I used both the bike and the elliptical trainer, as well as some weights etc. There were headsets and water provided.

Only complaints: Not sure why there is a $5.00 charge for water in the room. Just go to the gym and get a bottle. Also, my Verizon wireless card did not work well, which means it's a Portland problem, I think.

I didn't eat in the restaurant on this trip, but my colleagues seemed to enjoy their breakfast. The hotel is well located so I got oatmeal at Starbucks, and there is also a Peets nearby.

I admit I worry about the pet friendliness, since I am not a pet owner, but I didn't hear any barking animals.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Honolulu
Reviewed 19 January 2010

My friends and I had a great stay at the Hotel Monaco. We got a great rate on Priceline for 3 rooms and after staying there we would be happy to the pay rack rate the next time we visit Portland. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and seemed genuinely to enjoy their job - which is a rarity. Allison, the concierge, helped us track down tickets to a sold out Traiblazers game and we enjoyed talking to Tim, "da Hawaiian."
Hotel Monaco is a few short blocks away from the Max, it's steps away from shopping and food, and it was a convenient and comfortable home base for our long weekend in Portland. We especially enjoyed the nightly wine and beer reception in the lobby. It was a great way to start our evenings!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Austin
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I spent four nights at the Monaco. I am a big fan of the Kimpton chain, though the decor can sometimes be more "busy" than handsome. Since it is the wet, "down" season in Portland, the stay was an incredible value given the rate paid for the upgrade to a king suite. The staff could not have been better--from the check-in at the front desk, superb housekeeping, the doormen (special shout-out for Cullen)--really, everyone I encountered---and that is a rarity. The accommodations were were quite comfortable with all the features I needed. (OK, a safe large enough for a laptop would have been better, as well as a flat screen larger than 32"--but that sounds greedy!) The social hour in the lobby (live, soft music and local beer and wine) looked grand though I was not able to really participate. This sounds a bit gushy though I am not prone to hyperbole. All in all, though, the hotel did a great job and I should acknowledge their excellence.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business