“Great Location”

Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
salt lake city, utah
“Great Location”
Reviewed 8 March 2010

My husband and I wanted to go somewhere where we didn't have to rent a car and could just stroll around for the weekend and relax. This was the perfect place. The staff was incredibly friendly, the hotel is in a wonderful location and although the rooms are a bit eclectic in design, they are very spacious and well appointed. We even got a $10.00 coupon to raid the mini bar which I thought was cute. There are dogs abound at the hotel and in Portland in general which I love. Take the rail from the airport and you get off about 2 blocks from the hotel. It's $2.30 per person and you can walk everywhere (or ride the trains for free within a certain area). That was such a nice option. You do not need a car downtown, trust me. Loved the hotel happy hour too. Also, if you want great food and beer at at great price go to Henry's. They have an unbelievable happy hour(s) and the food is $2 to $4 per serving.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I cannot say enough great things about this hotel. From before we even arrived we were greeted with amazing service. We were upgraded to a beautiful suite. The decor in all Hotel Monacos is a little funky, but it really works. Absolutely everybody we came in contact with was nice (that is true of most of Portland actually). The beds are comfy, as are the other furnishings. The location was great too. It was very central to all of the attractions that we visited and close to the streetcar too. I would never stay anywhere else in Portland.

Santa Rosa
Reviewed 25 February 2010

I LOVE this hotel and have stayed on three of my many Portland visits. Downtown Portland is one of my favorite places to walk, shop, and meet new people, and I've found their location to be a great starting point for my journeys on foot.

The unique decor and comfortable rooms always make for a great stay. My only complaints are:

1.) the tight turn to get your car out of their parking garage. I was being very careful and still managed to scrape some paint off of my bumber. A pad on the wall there would be a nice touch.
2.) the entertainment system was out during my last visit, and I was feeling a little sick and wanted nothing more than order-in pizza and a movie. It took them over two hours to get my entertainment system operating again (they said they were performing a routine service check) but the gal on the phone was so nice through the whole thing that I was perfectly happy after being comped as many movies as I wanted to watch during my stay.

I love the Kimpton Hotel chains attention to detail, and if I am traveling alone on my next journey, I'll be sure to take advantage of the goldfish you can have ordered to your room to keep you company :)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I have stayed in Portland many times and this is my favorite. Great staff, well-appointed rooms, good restaurant, perfect location. They also have a free "happy hour" for guests that is a major bonus. I also love the Ace in Portland and I want to try The Nines, but I can't wait to come back to Monaco!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 21 February 2010

What is there not to love about this place? The location is perfect if you want to be nestled downtown within walking distance to all of the great restaurants, shopping and sights of the city. The wine reception every night is fantastic, they had beer, wine, spiced cider with whiskey, snacks, painting on canvas, and an even a Wii setup for entertainment. My favorite spot was in the comfy chairs and ottoman just in front of the beautiful fireplace down in the lobby. The staff here was so friendly and helpful, we loved the doorman, frontdesk, and the valets were great! We received many tips on sight seeing from the doorman and valet. We were not able to travel with our dogs, but this is such a dog friendly hotel, (which we absolutely love); dogs everywhere! I also highly recommend reserving a corner room, this enables you to have 2 huge, floor to ceiling windows on 2 walls and a beautiful view of the city. The bed was fabulous and the bathroom was huge. I also loved the animal print robes awaiting us :) I think this is the perfect hotel to stay in if wanting to be downtown Portland. I would note that I have seen some negative comments on tripadvisor regarding the wine/cheese happy hour/reception in the lobby being unpleasant due to the dogs, to this I would say, do your research; If you have a problem with dog friendly hotels then do not stay in one. But this is part of the charm of this hotel and we really enjoyed and appreciated this! Thank you Hotel Monaco for being so fantastic!!

Albany, Oregon
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Let me just start by saying I payed full price for the roomand then some ($300+ for one night) , I opted to splurge on the Romance package the hotel offered. The hotel and our room was stylish and hip, but I was disappointed to see the wallpaper peeling off the walls in our room. The rose petals on the bed were a nice touch but the champagne was cheap. The real miss....breakfast. The romance package was supposed to include breakfast in bed, we filled out the request (bagel, scone OR Croissant., juice and coffee) and left it hanging on our door before we went to bed, 9 am (the time we requested breakfast to be delivered) came and went. At 9:20 I called the Front Desk only to be told that they must have missed our ticket. Room Service called back to take our order and I was made to feel like it was my fault they hadn't recieved our order in the first place. I asked for an extra Bagel as we weren't sure of portion size and was abruptly told NO. Breakfast was finally delivered at 9:40, exactly 20 minutes before our scheduled in room massage. So instead of the leisurely breakfast in bed I had hoped for, I had the same experience I have every morning while getting ready for work....sucking down a lukewarm coffee and eating a cold dry scone while getting showered and dressed. BTW, no milk or cream on the tray....I feel a bit jipped, I paid for every detail of a LONG overdue night away (we have a 1 year old and other children) with my wonderful husband and the morning was a total flop. During our massage..which I was almost to ticked off to enjoy (but got over it) Housekeeping knocked on our door. Granted, we hadn't left the DND sign on the door but we were checking out shortly, since when do they clean your room when you are checking out that day?? While my husband and I have not traveled at all in the last year, we are extensive travelers and have had better service and certainly better breakfast at a Holiday Inn. Monaco Managers...if you read these reviews....Room 314 on February 13th. We will not stay in your hotel again nor recommend you to friends. There are so many nice hotels in Portland, don't waste your money here, it's apparently no big deal to them if they drop the ball.

3 Thank Suzanne555
Portland
Reviewed 14 February 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco on the Friday night of Valentine's weekend. Being from Portland, we weren't there to see the city (however their location is fabulous for shopping and walking around downtown) but were mainly looking for a night away from the kids and some extra sleep! Check-in was very quick and the front desk staff was amazing. After hearing that we were there looking for a romantic getaway, they included complimentary breakfast and sent us up to our room with a bottle of wine (we had missed their free happy hour). We stayed in the King suite and it was good sized and very clean. We used their in-room spa services and the massages were fabulous! Breakfast was delivered right on time and the staff was very curteous. If we are in need of a night away, we would definitely return to Hotel Monaco.