“Favorite hotel in PDX”

Ranked #2 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Seattle, WA, USA
“Favorite hotel in PDX”
Reviewed 17 March 2010

We visit Portland at least a few times a year and have stayed at many hotels in the city -- from The Governor to the Westin and The Benson. We always come back to Hotel Monaco! They offer great rates (check Hotwire!) and nice spacious rooms. As a Kimpton member, I always get upgraded to a bigger room, upper floor, mini bar credit, etc. The New York Times is waiting for me every morning just outside the door.

I love the wine happy hour every evening in the grand room with fuchsia walls! In fact, I love all of the Hollywood Regency decor touches throughout this hotel! The wallpaper behind the check-in desk is straight out of Domino magazine and totally dream-worthy!

The Monaco's location may be a bit further from the Pearl and Nob Hill but it's worth the extra couple of blocks as one of the most comfortable and reliable hotel chains around!

My only caution would be to request a room that is not above the Red Star restaurant (which is connected to the hotel). There is a bus stop right on that corner and unless you're on an upper floor, you WILL hear buses coming and going until late in the night and starting again early in the morning. Once we learned to avoid that corner of the hotel, I've never had a bad night's sleep!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I just enjoyed my 2nd stay at the Hotel Monaco. They honored my request for early check-in, so after relaxing by the fireplace (gas but authentic) a few minutes I was easily checked in to a great room.
Room 809 was comfortable, very quiet and has a nice view of Mt Hood over the rooftops.
The staff could not have been more courteous, friendly, happy to please.
My early morning coffee request was at my door promptly @ 6 a.m.
The location is great for shopping at Pioneer Place and there's a very good Italian Bakery/Cafe around the corner on 5th.
I'll happily return to the Hotel Monaco again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank pickygirl2
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 9 March 2010

We loved the Hotel Monaco. You couldn't get a better location for downtown Portland. Within just a block or two of shopping, movie theatres, numerous great restaurants and public transport (we took the MAX train directly from the airport to within 2 blocks of the hotel and back for $2.30/person - so much cheaper than taxi! The staff was very friendly and helpful with recommendations and directions. LOTS of complimentary perks: Fresh Starbucks coffee/tea on a morning, hot chocolate during the day, and a nice selection of wine/beer in the evening in a really nice room just off the lobby. We stayed in a king corner room on the 6th floor. Nice size room. Very clean. Large bathroom with great shower pressure. Comfortable bed & pillows. Street noise was minimal. The Hotel, like Portland itself was friendly, unpretentious & had a clear sense of humor (check out the tables opposite the elevators on each floor when the elevator doors open - the tiny dogs are a great touch). Loved the decor - more fun/whimsical than trendy. Loved that they have a welcome board naming all the dogs currently staying there (and there were a lot, but we never heard any barking). Be sure to go online and sign up for the Kimpton InTouch rewards program before your stay. It's free to join and allows you free wi-fi internet during your stay and two free items from the minibar (we booked our room through Travelocity and just called the hotel before we arrived and gave them the Kimptom InTouch member number over the phone so they could apply it to the room).

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TDS0004
salt lake city, utah
Reviewed 8 March 2010

My husband and I wanted to go somewhere where we didn't have to rent a car and could just stroll around for the weekend and relax. This was the perfect place. The staff was incredibly friendly, the hotel is in a wonderful location and although the rooms are a bit eclectic in design, they are very spacious and well appointed. We even got a $10.00 coupon to raid the mini bar which I thought was cute. There are dogs abound at the hotel and in Portland in general which I love. Take the rail from the airport and you get off about 2 blocks from the hotel. It's $2.30 per person and you can walk everywhere (or ride the trains for free within a certain area). That was such a nice option. You do not need a car downtown, trust me. Loved the hotel happy hour too. Also, if you want great food and beer at at great price go to Henry's. They have an unbelievable happy hour(s) and the food is $2 to $4 per serving.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I cannot say enough great things about this hotel. From before we even arrived we were greeted with amazing service. We were upgraded to a beautiful suite. The decor in all Hotel Monacos is a little funky, but it really works. Absolutely everybody we came in contact with was nice (that is true of most of Portland actually). The beds are comfy, as are the other furnishings. The location was great too. It was very central to all of the attractions that we visited and close to the streetcar too. I would never stay anywhere else in Portland.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Santa Rosa
Reviewed 25 February 2010

I LOVE this hotel and have stayed on three of my many Portland visits. Downtown Portland is one of my favorite places to walk, shop, and meet new people, and I've found their location to be a great starting point for my journeys on foot.

The unique decor and comfortable rooms always make for a great stay. My only complaints are:

1.) the tight turn to get your car out of their parking garage. I was being very careful and still managed to scrape some paint off of my bumber. A pad on the wall there would be a nice touch.
2.) the entertainment system was out during my last visit, and I was feeling a little sick and wanted nothing more than order-in pizza and a movie. It took them over two hours to get my entertainment system operating again (they said they were performing a routine service check) but the gal on the phone was so nice through the whole thing that I was perfectly happy after being comped as many movies as I wanted to watch during my stay.

I love the Kimpton Hotel chains attention to detail, and if I am traveling alone on my next journey, I'll be sure to take advantage of the goldfish you can have ordered to your room to keep you company :)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I have stayed in Portland many times and this is my favorite. Great staff, well-appointed rooms, good restaurant, perfect location. They also have a free "happy hour" for guests that is a major bonus. I also love the Ace in Portland and I want to try The Nines, but I can't wait to come back to Monaco!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple