“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #2 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Eugene, Oregon
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Given that I knew this to be a renovated motel, I wasn't expecting much when a friend of mine booked us here based mostly upon price. But this is a lovely modern hotel near Portland State University and Keller Auditorium. Attached is a restaurant/bar with a wonderful large outdoor seating area complete with nighttime gas firepits. We had a drink there, but didn't actually have a meal, so can't comment on the restaurant. Room was very clean and nicely appointed. My friend has an feather allergy and, and her request, the hotel made certain to remove all down and feather items from her bed. Room was quiet and looked out through some trees to the street below. The hotel is a member of the Klimpton group and I have never been dissappointed in any of hotel in that group.

Portland's great FREE downtown transit service was nearby, so it would be easy to get anywhere you would want to go, or to use public transit from the airport.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed 30 June 2010

My two best friends and I stayed at Hotel Monaco in Portland the night before my wedding. The staff at the front desk learned of this and made sure we each had our own bed in our room (I had asked for a rollaway), a cocktail coupon, and the hotel also "took care" of the room upgrade since we had a big celebration to prepare for!

The room was beautiful, clean, quiet, and the hotel was as well. We had a terrific time. Plus, it was in a great location - we walked a few blocks to visit with some friends, and in the morning we walked to my salon to get our hair done for the wedding.

If I didn't live here, I'd look into staying here more often!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 June 2010

My wife and I found this hotel while walking down the street one night. We walked in to check it out and were immediately impressed by the French decor and the friendliness of the staff. After reading other good reviews, we decided it was worth booking for our last night in town.

When reserving the room, I mentioned that we were on an anniversary vacation. When we checked in, there was a complimentary bottle of champagne waiting for us in the room.

The room was beautiful. The furniture, carpeting and drapes were all matched with expertise in French styling, and the bed was quite comfortable as well. I've stayed in "fancier" 5 star hotels where the rooms were not as nice.

The location is good too. It's right in the heart of downtown Portland, only two blocks from Pioneer Square and walking distance from most of downtown. The only difficulty we had was figuring out how to drive to the front of the hotel with all the one way streets and bus only lanes.

We were further impressed about the hotel's pet policy. Dogs can stay for free with no size restriction. If you don't have your pet there with you, the hotel will provide you with a goldfish at no extra charge. The best part is that, even though pets are allowed, our room was spotless and had no odor. We could not tell that an animal had ever been in there.

Hotel Monaco was a great find, and I will absolutely stay there again on my next trip to Portland.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2010

A special thank you for the outstanding and fantastic service and comfort standards received during our recent stay at the Monaco Hotel in downtown Portland.
Every aspect of this hotel and all its staff is faultless!!
We were met with happy smiling staff every day and their helpfulness with any questions we had were invaluable. Nothing was too much trouble.
The hotel itself is impecably clean and has fantastic decor throughout and a real pleasure to see the fresh chic style.
The hotel offers many customer extras such as the daily wine gathering in the beautiful lobby which was a great opportunity to meet other patrons from all around the world.
The location of the hotel is probably the best of all the others in the downtown area and everything is a very short walk, or the (free) MAX rail system is right outside the door of the adjoing Red Star restaurant .
My family regularly dined in the hotels adjoining Red Star restaurant and bar where service standards and prices were great and the food even better!!.
Having travelled all the way from Australia to Portland, Oregon, we indeed had the choice of many hotels in the city, and are so glad we chose this one moreso than the 'other' named hotels that an unknowing traveller would choose.
I offer a silent toast of appreciation to the Monaco Hotel for a great stay, and fantasic service. TOP MARKS TO THE MONACO !!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank multi-skips
Portland, Oregon, USA
Reviewed 27 June 2010

We chose to stay at the Monaco in our own city for one night since we are taking a delayed honeymoon in the winter. When the staff found out it was our wedding night, they all got excited, reserved us the best view in the hotel and gave us a complimentary wedding package with champagne and rose petals on the bed. It was all so sweet and the rooms are clean and the decor is colorful and fun. I would definitely stay there again.

Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Great, personable, attentive staff, lovely rooms, evening wine reception rejuvenated us each night.The Red Star is a wonderful, unique dining experience. Bar staff is friendly and knowledgeable.We were able to upgrade to a suite because of the price deal we got for staying more than two nights and it was well worth it.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 26 June 2010

I've stayed at 5 star hotels all over the world and my experience at Hotel Monaco was phenomenal. Never have I had such a pleasant stay. Monaco is very pet friendly and does not charge any fees for pets, so hard to come by. All the staff were so sincere and genuine I truly felt that they wanted to be there. Not to mention helpful and easy to talk to. The atmosphere in this hotel is upscale but very comfortable. I felt like I was visiting a friends chateau. Extra Impressive reception! Quick, pleasant check as well as a smile every time I left or entered. Hotel Monaco can be assured of my business for many years to come. Keep up the AMAZING work!

• Stayed June 2010