“Nice room, terrible breakfast”

Shilo Inn Rose Garden
Ranked #100 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We booked this hotel because of its proximity to family. The price was right, the room better than we expected, but the breakfast was a joke. Except for apples and oranges, there was only sweet junk food. Nothing healthy or even tasty. Fortunately, there are several chain joints nearby which are somewhat better.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear RBPSarasotaFL,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that the continental breakfast failed to meet your expectations. We are currently reviewing the offerings and appreciate your input.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

this hotel is in a good location but it is old smells bad and needs to be sprayed for bugs. we booked a globus vacation and they booked this hotel for us other wise I would have never booked here. i would not book a shilo inn anywhere in washington state or oregon everyone we stayed at was old run down and smelled horrible. the televisions were old box sets and hardly got reception the carpet was stained and nasty and the beds were concaved and uncomfortable.

Room Tip: the beds are aweful
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tonyatom
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear tonyatom,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations.

G.Sorrels

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

My sister and I just finished staying here for a few days. We come to portland a few times a year but this was our first time staying at Shilo since our usual hotel increased there prices quite a bit.
We will be staying here next time based in this visit.

Pros:
Free Wifi
Good parking
Good location
Quiet
Great ac
Very comfy bed and couch ( I slept on couch and it was the best night sleep I've ever had in a hotel

Cons
Almost no tv channels
Bathroom was tiny, had to get all the way in to close the door

• Stayed: August 2013
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear avalon20013,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Shilo Inn Rose Garden. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Yes, this place is tired around the edges: the seats of the couch and desk chair are kind of worn down. But the important factors are all there: clean bathroom and sink areas, comfortable bed, quiet room. The front desk staff are the nicest group of young men I've come across--all very cordial and helpful. The breakfast is minimal--not even cold cereal and milk; just oatmeal, white bread, plain bagels, and fresh fruit if you're early enough. However. with a microwave and refrigerator, you can walk 8 blocks to Safeway and have everything you need. I was hesitant to walk to or from the convention center at night but I was trying to take the shortest route possible, through parking lots. If you stick to the main roads, I think it would be fine, even for a single female.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear WeBeHappyTravelers,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Right next to mass transit on Eastside in downtown PDX. Clean rooms, complimentary breakfast, fridge and microwave, and room was ready early. If had exercise equipment, would have gotten 5 stars. Even so, its in a location where city walking is a nice exercise option.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Logan C
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear Logan C,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

I was there for 5 nights. I booked it quite early- about 6 months ago for $85 a night. I was looking for a hotel within walking distance of the Oregon Convention Center (chaperoned my daughter for her Harry Potter convention) and had a decent review on Tripadvisor. Shilo seemed to fit the bill.
The room I got was small!! No chair or table. I learned later from the front desk that they have 4 such rooms. The other rooms are bigger and have a table and chairs. He offered to transfer me to one on Saturday (we arrived Wednesday) but I declined. I presumed that since I got it at a bargain rate, I got the smaller room. This was fine with me.
The room was nicely equipped and was clean. It had a hair dryer and iron/ironing board I did not test both). TV with a some cable channels, microwave, single cup coffee maker and a fridge. All worked. The fridge worked a little too well. Even on the lowest setting my water bottles froze.
The queen bed was very comfortable. The pillow was execellent. this coming from a picky daughter. Though the room was small, the space was utilized rather well. An improvement could be to put hooks strategically to hang clothes. Even in my room an extra chair would have been immensely useful.
the A/C worked exceedingly well. It was so cold that I had to run it at its lowest setting. Even the walkway/hallway a/c worked so well that the hallway was colder than my room. And I love the cold.
They have a coin operated laundry room at the basement (entry by keycard) 1 dryer and 1 washer. $1.50 in quarters per use. You will know how much time is left because both machines had a LED indication how many minutes were left on the wash/dry cycle. there was also, get this, a sauna room that was free. I did not get to use it though.
The bathroom was of a nice size . The hot water was really hot. it was stocked with decent soap/shampoo/conditioner/and lotion. Just two sets of towels though.
I did not see the molds nor the smell that was mentioned in the reviews
The wifi- I do not know where the wifi router is but I presume it must be at the front desk. Shiloh Inn is designed as a long building with rooms on both sides. The front desk was along the 2nd avenue.My room was at the very end of the building- on the 3rd avenue. The signal ranged from a 3/5 to mostly a solid 5/5.
But beware. Their signal is advertised as high speed. I checked the speed to be 11mb/second. Still decent enought for reading emails and checking something. Not for video. The line is nsecured. You do not need a password to log in. I usually logged on to the neighboring Calaroga Terrace retirement home- signal strength 2/5 but clocking at 65 mbps.
The front desk was small. But the front desk friendliness and help was huge. Goes to show that small size of front desk does not equate to poor service. Checkin was fast. The front desk, esp. Larry, spent time with me plotting my sightseeing of Portland.
No fitness center. ice machine and a soda vending machine near the front desk and on the second floor at the other end of the building was a snack vending machine.
There was a free continental breakfast which was not bad, considering the other continental breakfasts that I have encountered at other 3 star establishments.
Around the area- within 5 blocks radius. 7-11 open 24/7 right across the 3rd avenue. Burger King, McDonalds, Wendy's, Starbucks in the area. a walgreen 3 blocks away. the street car was 1-2 blocks away and the light rail station was 4-5 blocks in the direction of the Oregon Convention Center.
Within this 5 block radius were also other hotels but for the price and the reviews on Tripadvisor I chose Shilo. I would go there again without hesitation.
Hint; before going out to see Portland, go to the front desk and get those credit card sized advertisement. They offer some discounts. Like the river cruise- a $5 discount which I forgot all about.!

Room Tip: ask them NOT for the budget rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bigwawao
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear bigwawao,

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I sincerely appreciate reading the details of your stay and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

The last time we stayed at The Shilo was in 2011, two years ago. We decided to give it a try again since the previous time was comfortable, clean, and near transit.

I want to share that I work in the travel and tourism industry in San Francisco and bed bugs are a realistic concern for all hotels. I could NOT find one bed bug report via any reviews nor did the Shilo Inn Rose Garden have any reports on the bed bug registry website. This was a major factor for myself. Hallelujah.

It doesn't matter if its a 5 star brand hotel, fact of the matter is... bed bugs have nothing to do with cleanliness. They travel folks, in peoples bags and they are extremely hard to get rid of. Preventative and proactive maintenance is essential.

I checked the mattress of our room in between the seams, where these nasty guys like to hide and even behind the headboard. No signs of infestation :) In Fact behind the headboard was extremely clean and the mattress was clean and in good condition.

The only big downfall is the carpet in room 218 is in dire need of replacement. It's beyond calling for carpet cleaning. I am not sure if all of the rooms carpet is the same, but it did set the mood of our first day there. We spent 9 nights and I am an avid clean fanatic. We didn't take off our socks.

I ultimately was willing to look beyond the dirtiness of the carpet because my main concern was not staying in a hotel that had bed bugs. You pick your battles...

I can only imagine how hard it is to keep the carpets clean, with the amount of rain and moisture on the streets and it getting constantly tracked in.

Oh and one more thing... Give front desk a break ppl!
Early ck ins are not guaranteed and certainly threatening to cxl your stay unless you get an early ck in... doesn't help. Good luck with a sold out city ;) Props to FD for being really nice and keeping composure to even really mean people.

Ta-da... Bye Shilo ((waving))

PS.. I gave cleanliness a "poor" ranking because of the condition of the carpet. Had nothing to do with your room attendants. They were GREAT and on top of it!

Room Tip: If you have disabilities or a senior, request a room on the main floor. There are no elevators. Let...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Narogs_SF
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear Narogs_SF,

Thank you for your review. I sincerely appreciate hearing your feedback. We appreciate your choosing Shilo in 2011 and again recently and we look forward to serving you again in the future.