“Surprising nice”

Ranked #102 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Vancouver bc
“Surprising nice”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We booked here, due to it's closeness to the tram and it's price. We found it to be quite nice. The continental breakfast was not amazing, but adequate and was included in the room price so really there isn't anything to complain about. We found the neighborhood totally safe - and didn't have any issues walking at night. It's about a 5-10 minute walk to the tram which takes you anywhere in Portland. We are planning on booking here again in October. Keep in mind this is a motel and is not fancy, it's basic but clean!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank dawne_n_travis
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear dawne_n_travis,
Thank you for your review and for recognizing our special brand of “Affordable Excellence.” We look forward to serving you again in the future. Sincerely, G. Sorrels-General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Marysville, Washington
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I booked a motel room at the Shilo Inn on Friday morning while I was driving up from Reno, Nevada. I was in Eugene when I found a room at the Shilo Inn, I loved the location. I was going to stay for Friday afternoon into Saturday morning and continue my trip onto Everett, Washington. The man took my reservation and booked me a double queen room, being that I had five people with me. When I arrived to the Shilo Inn at 830am, they told me that there was not a room available for me and the guy that booked my room didn't check to see if they actually had a room available for me to stay in. They told me that there was absolutely nothing they could do, after me becoming very angry. I stated I just drove from Reno, Nevada and was told I could rent a room here. The guy at the counter stated, "Well you didn't book the room from Reno, you called an hour ago." Which was a lie. All they did for me was told me where some other motels/hotels were in the area and sent me on my way. Which was useless being that I am originally from Portland, Oregon and I already know where the motels are. I believe that this is very unprofessional and rude, it was their mistake and I would have appreciated them fixing the mistake they made. I will never book another stay here.

Room Tip: My tip is do not stay here.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank cashmirelong
ShiloHotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear cashmirelong,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for your experience and for the inconvenience you experienced. We are doing our best to research the circumstances you mention and hope that you will contact me personally so that I may offer a resolution. Please call me at the property at your convenience.

G. Sorrels-General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Goldendale, Washington
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We have stayed at this hotel twice now because it is walking distance to the Wonder Ballroom. It is nothing fancy but the 2 queen room was clean and had plenty of room. If walking to the Venue do not walk alone the neighborhood is not the best. Breakfast is bagels,juice & cereal bars but if you are hung over that is enough....Ha!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicky C
Dear NickyC,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate your choosing Shilo Inn and recognizing our great location. We hope to see you again soon.

G. Sorrels-General Manager
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

My sister and I stayed here for the second time and once again had a great stay.
A few key things that made it so great
1: we arrived an hour before check in time and the staff still let us check in.
2: staff is always very friendly, the one guy at check in ( I can't remember his name ) gave us some nice suggestions for sushi places for dinner that night.
3: the breakfast seems to have improved, still not a ton of choices but we were able to get juice this time :)
This is now the only hotel we use in portland :)

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Avalon20013,

Thank you for choosing us a second time and designating us as the only hotel you use in Portland. Your patronage is appreciated!

Sincerely
G. Sorrels - General Manager
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed here in early November in 2013. The faculty were very friendly and answered all my questions about transportation. The room was simple but clean and the bed was comfortable.
They had breakfast downstairs. It was nice to have hot coffee, but the breakfast was very simple.
I would definitely stay here again!

pros: very close to the MAX lines and the bus lines
breakfast included
quiet area
clean

cons: the neighborhood feels a little rundown
the pillows were a little hard.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Shilohotels, Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Hanna B,

Thank you for being a valued Shilo Inns guest and for your great review of our property! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Raymond Badalich
Asst. General Manager
seaside oregon
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We were looking for a place near the Convention Center. We booked a room here and were very disappointed. We have stayed in several Shilos and were always very pleased. We paid $99 for one night and it should have been half that price. The blankets were stained and had holes in them, the carpet was stained and crunchy to the point were we didn't go barefoot in the room, the bathroom was so small you couldn't shut the door and the continental breakfast was laughable. On the upside, the staff was very friendly. We will continue to stay at Shilo Inns, just not this one.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear dkbrodigan,

Thank You for letting us know about your stay. I apologize that the room cleanliness was not up to the high standard we uphold here at Shilo Inns. We are currently working to deep clean all the rooms and housekeeping is to inspect all linens regularly. Thank you for being a loyal Shilo Inns guest and we will work to make sure your next stay with us is a satisfactory one.

Regards,

Raymond Badalich
Assistant General Manager
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The pictures on the web site were not worth a thousand words.

The room was cramped. You had to shimmy between the toilette, the shower and the door. There was no privacy from the sleeping/sitting area and the wash area. And the entrance door blocked the wash area when someone entered.

Falling twice in the shower, I noticed the anti-slip strips were worn off.

The amenities were out dated and defective. The TV was an old tube screen and the microwave had dials and dinged. Come on! The refrigerator needed defrosting and rocked. You could see that is was not level. The work desk was not stable and almost fell over. The chair wobbled.

The carpet needed cleaning or changing, and smelled.

The wifi worked well, but was not secure.

The only bright spot I saw was one maid. She worked hard for her guest and was observed diligently cleaning and washing down rooms. Our beds, the shower and sink and the toilet were clean and well supplied.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RCDavis
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Rose Garden, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear RCDavis,

Thank you for your review and for being a valued Shilo guest. I sincerely apologize that your experience failed to meet your expectations. Your feedback is important and will be reviewed with senior management. I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to be of service in the future.

G. Sorrels