“Great Customer Service”

Ranked #61 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Douglasville, Georgia
“Great Customer Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

This was the second stay for us at this hotel, and we had a good nights sleep. The hot breakfast is what it is... decent and free! Location is very convenient to the airport, but also I-205 which is a quick hop across the river to Washington or about 10 miles to downtown Portland.

The front desk ladies are very helpful and friendly. We asked for an extra blanket upon arrival and was immediately accommodated. Also they referred us to a really good pizza place that delivers to the hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Wembley C, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you, I am glad you had a great experience here at our property!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
Walla Walla, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Upon arrival the receptionist was unfriendly, unattractive, and not properly trained in Marriott procedures.
She would not accept my UK drivers license.
She did not know how to properly accept Marriott Gift Cards.
I had to go to another Marriott property where I was properly greeted and accepted the Marriott Gift Cards and given a wonderful room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank elliott99362
I do apologize that you did not have a pleasant experience upon arrival at our hotel. However, as you did not stay and were not a guest here I feel that this review is misleading for potential guests.
Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had a nice, large room with two double beds (we would have preferred a queen or king, but they were outside our budget. My wife's bed was rather soft, so she did not have the best night's sleep. Mine was firm, so I was OK. Do understand that the hotel is a long, long way from downtown, but convenient for the airport.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Wembley C, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for being our guest here at the Fairfield Inn and Suites at the Portland airport. I do apologize that one of your beds was uncomfortable, but I am pleased that we were able to take good care of you otherwise. Please visit us again if you are in the area!
bend oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the Fairfield Inn -- Portland Airport three or four times over the past decade. We always leave remembering why we don't go there more often, and why, for all that the Inn has going for it, it doesn't command our attention oftener. Basically we only go back when we've been away long enough for us to forget its serious problem.

The positives are easy to list: great access to PDX; excellent parking; a reliable shuttle service to the nearby airport; good house-keeping; a front desk staff that never falls short of congenial attention; and (lately) some excellent upgrades to breakfast service.

The room we stayed in during our recent trip had been attractively upgraded. Its style, in the Marriott vein, was modest and pleasant. Inside the room things WORKED. Drapes, HVAC, TV, microwave, frig and coffee pot. All of it.

And all of this gets rolled into the Fairfield's attractive price.

So why is it that every time we go there, we vow that we will never go to this Fairfiled Inn again.

In a word, it's the Inn's TOILETS.

There, we said it. And now that we have, we acknowledge that we may be going where no hotel reviewer has gone before. So we apologize in advance for anyone who we may offend. Some readers may be offended to the point of reading no further. If so, we respect your leaving. Have a nice day, goodbye. But for the rest of you, those who are still reading, we have a really serious question.

Where did Fairfield Inn management get their awful toilets and why they do they keep them?

The issue here is size, size, and size. Or rather, the lack of it. Because these units, in all their ceramic niceness, rise not much higher than ankle socks on a bunch of kindergartners. "Complementing" the height are seats the diameter of a medium pizza. And both of these elements together conspire to raise the water line to a mere two inches below the lowest level of your low contours. When the Fairfield managers furnished their current bathrooms, did they cut a terrific deal for their toilets with Camping World? Or maybe they dealt direct with Porta Potty Corporation? We think the effect is the same. And all of the speculation comes down, literally, to some pretty miserable moments during our daily endeavors with Mother Nature at the Fairfield Inn in question.

Okay, we can all have some fun with the subject here. But it's quite another thing to visit the Fairfield Inn -- PDX and use one of their toilets for real. Our experience is that the first time we ascend the Fairfield "thrones" amusement sets in. The second time we get irritable. And the third time our anger begins to bulld. That anger continues right up to check-out. This time the issue grew worse due to a deepenng physical problem of arthritic knees. My wife and I are tall. So "getting up and down" was painful.

There's probably a hotel industry standard for toilets that Fairfield is probably complying with at its Portland Airport inn. So be it. But we think the important measure here is really feeling comfortable with ALL the endeavorsof a hotel stay. And for that the industry standard will always be the COMFORTS OF HOME. In the toilet department Fairfield Inn- Porland Airport rises only to the miserable height of its own water closet water levels.

Okay, running on here(sorry for the pun). I'll just close by saying that however bizarre our review of this hotel may seem, I think it's a vital element holding back an otherwise excellent hotel. Too bad. Because the positive aspects are very positive indeed.

Room Tip: Ask to see the bathroom before you commit to a stay.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roundabouters
Wembley C, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I would like to offer you our apologies from the Fairfield Inn and Suites here at the Portland Airport. We do receive the occasional complaint about our toilets, and for this reason we do have a toilet seat riser available on request. I do hope you will keep that in mind if you choose to try our property again.
Puyallup, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

My first time staying at the Fairfield inn, portland airport. I usually get a great night sleep at all the Marriott chain's but this one was not the best. Maybe due to its the typical airport hotel where people are shuffling constantly down the halls to get to the airport but I was annoyed by a 4am wake up call from the front desk. I didn't even request one! Staff was great but will try other marriott and hilton chains to see if the halls are quieter.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank royce h
Medford, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

My Fiancé and I were there for 3 nights so he could have a 4 hour surgery on his ear, which was causing us a lot of stress by itself but staying in a place with a particularly rude staff member magnified the situation. I would like to start by saying that I currently work for Marriott and I have worked in hotels for many years, I have yet to run into a front desk person who was so out rightly rude. I had two rooms coming in different days, the first day the front desk was perfectly sweet and even let us check in early, the second reservation not so much. She tried to not honor the rate we booked for the second room throwing out an outlandish policy that when I told her to show me the policy she could not find it. She scoffed and checked us in, but of course that couldn't be the end of it.

I spent the next 2 nights that she worked receiving glares when I didn’t talk to her and when I had to she came off as rudely as possible. Most of the times that I walked into the lobby I would find her kicked back in a chair playing on her bright pink phone AT THE DESK, something that would generate a write up in a minute at any hotel I have ever worked at, not to mention the fact that she was ignoring every person that entered the lobby.

The room itself was nice and clean. The beds were comfy, each maid and breakfast person smiled and greeted me when I walked by, they had a pretty good breakfast and they even shuttled us over to a neighboring hotel to use their pool and hot tub. It’s solely because of this front desk person that I will never go back and I will never recommend that anyone stays there. Good customer service is not hard to do but she failed in every aspect of the word.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank OregonMade1991
Hoover, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

First the good, the service was outstanding, very friendly service staff, the comp breakfast was great and well maintained. Now the bad, the beds are awful, I could not sleep, we stayed for 4 nights in September and really struggled to get comfortable. The walls are also thin as we could hear just about everything from the room next door. I think most hotel companies know that the bed is probably the most important part of the overall experience, this hotel needs to reinvest for the comfort of their guests soon.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple