“After all these years...”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland Airport
Ranked #67 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Ocean Park, Washington
“After all these years...”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is a case of changing management and staff and the risk to the staying public. I have stayed at this hotel more than any other - and I spend nearly 5 months a year in hotels - and found it friendly and accommodating. Recently there has been a management change. The evening I checked in, my wife asked, as she has for the past several years, asked if she could get a milk container to take to the room. No, "its against the rules. If I give you one, I'll have to give everyone one. My wife's persistence earned her the cherished milk container after some time. Later, I tried to print our plane tickets. It wasn't working. The other computer was being used by a woman doing something, so I left for a half hour and then returned. The woman was still on one computer and her child was on the other one. I asked the same desk person for some help. Mistake! The rules! She can't possibly leave the counter until the shuttle driver gets back and, yes, he just left for the airport. She might follow rules to the letter, but customer service is greatly lacking. Since then, we have stayed at the nearby Springhill Suites.

Room Tip: Until this location becomes reacquainted with better customer service, I can't think of a good t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MJBaer
Wembley C, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
I am so sorry that your latest stays didn't live up to your expectation. The new general manager of this hotel starts in a few days, and it has been very difficult for all of us these last three months without one. I do hope you'll be willing to give us another shot once we get settled back down. Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
El Dorado KS
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I was in the Portland area for a few nights and stayed in this hotel. The hotel was clean, staff was friendly, and the breakfast was good. I arrived earlier than expected and the staff graciously let me check-in several hours early. Fairfields never disappoint. I will definitely stay in this hotel next time I am in town.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
West Virginia
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed at this property on the last night of our trip to Oregon, using Marriott points and the location being close to the airport. At check in the afternoon of April 17, the desk staff was extremely helpful and friendly--getting a room cleaned so we could check in early. Since we had a rental car, we went ahead and dropped the car at the airport that evening and took the hotel shuttle back. The shuttle van was in very poor shape--interior dirty and very worn---not a good first impression for a traveler going to the hotel. But, the driver did say they were expecting a new shuttle van in a few weeks. The van served the purpose of the short trip to and from the airport and the drivers were very nice. The room was very clean and basic, not somewhere I would stay more than a night or two, as the mattresses are very cheap and the linens were very rough--something we haven't experienced in years of traveling. And please note there are trade-offs for staying near a busy airport--the airplane noise was very noticeable, but earplugs took care of most of that. In short--decent place for a one night stay and an early morning flight.

Room Tip: Remember earplugs if a light sleeper.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Wembley C, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for staying at the Fairfield Inn and Suites at the Portland airport. I do apologize for the state of our shuttle van, and yes, we will have a new one very soon. I am glad to hear that our drivers and our staff took good care of you during your visit!
Douglasville, Georgia
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This was the second stay for us at this hotel, and we had a good nights sleep. The hot breakfast is what it is... decent and free! Location is very convenient to the airport, but also I-205 which is a quick hop across the river to Washington or about 10 miles to downtown Portland.

The front desk ladies are very helpful and friendly. We asked for an extra blanket upon arrival and was immediately accommodated. Also they referred us to a really good pizza place that delivers to the hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Wembley C, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you, I am glad you had a great experience here at our property!
Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Upon arrival the receptionist was unfriendly, unattractive, and not properly trained in Marriott procedures.
She would not accept my UK drivers license.
She did not know how to properly accept Marriott Gift Cards.
I had to go to another Marriott property where I was properly greeted and accepted the Marriott Gift Cards and given a wonderful room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank elliott99362
I do apologize that you did not have a pleasant experience upon arrival at our hotel. However, as you did not stay and were not a guest here I feel that this review is misleading for potential guests.
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had a nice, large room with two double beds (we would have preferred a queen or king, but they were outside our budget. My wife's bed was rather soft, so she did not have the best night's sleep. Mine was firm, so I was OK. Do understand that the hotel is a long, long way from downtown, but convenient for the airport.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Wembley C, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for being our guest here at the Fairfield Inn and Suites at the Portland airport. I do apologize that one of your beds was uncomfortable, but I am pleased that we were able to take good care of you otherwise. Please visit us again if you are in the area!
bend oregon
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the Fairfield Inn -- Portland Airport three or four times over the past decade. We always leave remembering why we don't go there more often, and why, for all that the Inn has going for it, it doesn't command our attention oftener. Basically we only go back when we've been away long enough for us to forget its serious problem.

The positives are easy to list: great access to PDX; excellent parking; a reliable shuttle service to the nearby airport; good house-keeping; a front desk staff that never falls short of congenial attention; and (lately) some excellent upgrades to breakfast service.

The room we stayed in during our recent trip had been attractively upgraded. Its style, in the Marriott vein, was modest and pleasant. Inside the room things WORKED. Drapes, HVAC, TV, microwave, frig and coffee pot. All of it.

And all of this gets rolled into the Fairfield's attractive price.

So why is it that every time we go there, we vow that we will never go to this Fairfiled Inn again.

In a word, it's the Inn's TOILETS.

There, we said it. And now that we have, we acknowledge that we may be going where no hotel reviewer has gone before. So we apologize in advance for anyone who we may offend. Some readers may be offended to the point of reading no further. If so, we respect your leaving. Have a nice day, goodbye. But for the rest of you, those who are still reading, we have a really serious question.

Where did Fairfield Inn management get their awful toilets and why they do they keep them?

The issue here is size, size, and size. Or rather, the lack of it. Because these units, in all their ceramic niceness, rise not much higher than ankle socks on a bunch of kindergartners. "Complementing" the height are seats the diameter of a medium pizza. And both of these elements together conspire to raise the water line to a mere two inches below the lowest level of your low contours. When the Fairfield managers furnished their current bathrooms, did they cut a terrific deal for their toilets with Camping World? Or maybe they dealt direct with Porta Potty Corporation? We think the effect is the same. And all of the speculation comes down, literally, to some pretty miserable moments during our daily endeavors with Mother Nature at the Fairfield Inn in question.

Okay, we can all have some fun with the subject here. But it's quite another thing to visit the Fairfield Inn -- PDX and use one of their toilets for real. Our experience is that the first time we ascend the Fairfield "thrones" amusement sets in. The second time we get irritable. And the third time our anger begins to bulld. That anger continues right up to check-out. This time the issue grew worse due to a deepenng physical problem of arthritic knees. My wife and I are tall. So "getting up and down" was painful.

There's probably a hotel industry standard for toilets that Fairfield is probably complying with at its Portland Airport inn. So be it. But we think the important measure here is really feeling comfortable with ALL the endeavorsof a hotel stay. And for that the industry standard will always be the COMFORTS OF HOME. In the toilet department Fairfield Inn- Porland Airport rises only to the miserable height of its own water closet water levels.

Okay, running on here(sorry for the pun). I'll just close by saying that however bizarre our review of this hotel may seem, I think it's a vital element holding back an otherwise excellent hotel. Too bad. Because the positive aspects are very positive indeed.

Room Tip: Ask to see the bathroom before you commit to a stay.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roundabouters
Wembley C, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland Airport, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I would like to offer you our apologies from the Fairfield Inn and Suites here at the Portland Airport. We do receive the occasional complaint about our toilets, and for this reason we do have a toilet seat riser available on request. I do hope you will keep that in mind if you choose to try our property again.