“Gem near the Convention Center”

Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #19 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
California
“Gem near the Convention Center”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Driving to this location from the airport, I was a little scared that the hotel would be run down as much as the area. However, we were greeted by friendly valets who directed us to the self parking garage after helping us unload our bags. Upon entering the hotel, we were pleasantly surprised to find modern, clean, crisp facilities. We walked past the bar with its shimmering glass water features and up to our sparkling room which featured two comfortable beds with comforters and extra pillows. The bathroom was large and clean. Overall, a great find.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank marjen
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear marjen,

Another 5 star review! Thank you very much For your wonderful review of my hotel. I hope that you will stay will us again sometime soon.

Peter Kilbourne, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Boulder City, NV
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We enjoyed 5 nights here. Looks are deceiving - it was just a lovely refuge from city life. Staff was always courteous and helpful. Charlie's Restaurant had good food and a breakfast buffet with good variety, and bar area was lively. Service was good. Enjoyed fireplaces as it rained the whole week. Public bathroom clean & attractive. Room was very quiet & housekeeping very responsive. A short walk to the Tri-Met light rail made it easy to get both to down town and to the airport, and very economical.

Room Tip: We were on 2nd floor - very quiet. Heard no complaints from others in our group.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Thankful-desertite,
Thank you very much for your five star review! I appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with the TripAdvisor community. I hope we see you soon.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I've never written a review on line before but I really thought I should put in a good word for the staff there. they were excellent. When I first arrived , I thought the room was very 'basic' and i thought of finding another Hotel as I wanted to spoil myself a bit with something more luxurious. I realized that what the hotel lacked in Luxury, they made up for with a top notch staff. I dont recall all the names but I do recall Brandon in particular. He helped me with all kinds of things. Basic yet spacious clean rooms, and a block away from the convention centre. I would easily go back.

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 13 May 2012
Dear phil203,

I am pleased that you found our rooms to be clean and spacious. Brandon is well know for delivering great service and I will ensure he receives a thank you from the management team for providing you with great service. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the Tripadvisor community.

Kind regards,
San Jose, California
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Close to shopping, the convention center, and the arena...with fantastic staff, and a great restaurant...I can't say enough good things about this hotel! Having just gone through a major renovation of their lobby/bar/restaurant and the rooms...this is my favorite place to stay in Portland! I spend lots of time in the Portland area on business and when my business is IN Portland, I stay here EVERY TIME.

Room Tip: I prefer the higher floors...2nd floor front gets some smell of cigarette smoke when the window is o...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Perriknows
Dear Perriknows,

Thank you for your loyalty...we absolutely love having you as a guest of ours! I am happy to hear that you are enjoying the newley renovated lobby, rooms, bar and restaurant. Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance and I hope to see you soon.

Eugene
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Our stay was an annual one for the Oregon Dental Convention. The staff, parking, clean room and excellent food....all were fantastic. Recently remodeled rooms, lobby and restaurant all look great! Unfortunately, this trip we had two queen beds instead of one king bed. Not a problem except the mattress on our queen was way too soft and squishy. Compared to our other years there it was an unexpected "downer". However, the staff were wonderful and would have cheerfully given us a king room if there had been vacancy. Also, there was a convention of teens for Future Busnessmen of America going on at the same time. Their noise level combined with constantly slamming doors and late hours made our stay less relaxing. We have raised three teenagers and enjoy teens. I think the problem is that the kids did not have enough chaperones to remind them of hotel manners and to monitor the slamming doors. The hotel staff tried to stay right on top of things as best they could and our third night things were quieter. We thank the wonderful desk staff and our waitresses of Thursday and Friday, Island and Megan. As usual, their service and freindliness were top of the line. Oh, be sure to ask the chef for one of his fantastic omlettes! He even makes the salsa himself! We will be back next April. Thanks to all who went the extra mile to make our stay pleasant!

Room Tip: Ask for a King size bed and to be away from elevators and ice machines.
Dear Luellen L,

Thank you for choosing to stay in my hotel during your recent trip to Portland. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be top of the line, Megan and Island are a real asset to the hotel and I am proud to have them on my team. We are very proud of our newly renovated hotel and we look forward to your next stay.

Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I've been staying here every week for the past 6 months, and have had only a few issues. Each time I mentioned something (broken phone and shower head), it has been repaired within 24 hours without issue. The rooms are spacious, and the recently-rennovated lobby, bar, and restaurant are tastefully done (they have moved from traditional furnishings to more of a modern, minimalist palate. The staff here is WONDERFUL, providing excellent recommendations for dinner and treating the guests like family.
The fitness room is small, with only 6 machines in total, and there is usually a line of people waiting. But if you ask at the front desk, they can give you a day voucher to the full-service spa just down the block.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard on floors 5 and 6 are quieter
Dear Annaliese-KAL,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience in my hotel with the Tripadvisor community. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our service to be WONDERFUL. I look forward to having you as a guest of ours during your next trip to Portland.

Kind regards,
san diego
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I was here on business, and found this to be a good Marriott. They really tried to accommodate our needs, and when there was a glitch (like an overcharge for a Fax) they compensated with free breakfast vouchers. Charley's restaurant was quite good, and the beet-apple-hazelnut salad was awesome. So was the breakfast buffet. They had all the staples of a continental breakfast, plus an omelette station, and extras like bacon, sausage and home fries. Yogurt, fruit, and oatmeal were plentiful too. The wait staff was very prompt too. Our room had a really comfy bed, and when we asked for extra comforters, we had them in 10 minutes. When we were through with meetings and wanted to see Portland, we walked about 2 blocks to the free public transportation train, the MAX. It was easy to find out way around, and we loved how it easy it was to get out of the hotel and see sights. If I came back to Portland on business, I would stay here. If there is a downside, that is the distance from the airport, and that there is no free shuttle service. I had to pay $14 each way (or $24 r/t) for Blue Star Shuttle. The other downside is that our conference could not be accommodated in the Marriott and had to be across the street. Not a big deal unless it's raining, which is pretty much a guarantee in Porltand in April. So we would get wet walking to our seminar. There was supposed to be a van to take us a cross the street but it didn't run on weekends, or some such thing. Those would be my only 2 negative comments, and all else was very good!

1 Thank honurider
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear honurider,

Thank you for your review! I am pleased to hear that you loved our beet salad-it is one of my personal favorites. Our complimentary hotel shuttle runs within a three mile radius of my hotel and is available on a first come first serve basis. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to accommodate your shuttle needs. We are conveniently located two blocks from the Oregon Convention Center and the MAX light rail stop that provides convenient and free access to downtown Portland. I am happy to hear that you would choose my hotel again if you return to Portland. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for assistance with your next reservation. I can be reached at 503-382-3144 or pkilbourne@csmcorp.net.