“Fabulous hotel...but it's NOT downtown!!”

Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #22 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We thought we were staying at the Downtown Courtyard but, upon arrival, they had maps ready for the many others who thought they were staying downtown. "You'll go through some iffy neighborhoods but you'll be really close to the Convention Center." "Iffy" was right. However, the staff (valet and front desk) were exceptional, bending over backwards to help us out in whatever way they could. Rooms were spacious and clean, well-lit and air-conditioned...but the neighborhood was a little scary. We originally were going to eat DOWNTOWN at Jake's Crawfish (a nice walk from the other DOWNTOWN hotel) which the front desk acknowledged to be the best in Portland, but didn't want to have to pay $$ for parking. We found an exceptional BBQ place (Podnah's) in a changing neighborhood that had been frequented by Guy Fieri and worth the short drive...too bad it's not in DOWNTOWN. Very modern-styled hotel with a staff that was exceptional with easy access to the Columbia River Gorge...did I mention that it's not DOWNTOWN? If you have a convention there, this is a great place to stay; if just visiting Portland, try the other DOWNTOWN hotel. Don't make the same mistake we (and many others) did.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear FrankieFam,

I greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your experience in my hotel with the TripAdvisor community. I am happy to hear that you found that my hotel is a “great place to stay” and that you found the “rooms to be spacious and clean, well-lit and air-conditioned”. Additionally, you mentioned that the staff was “exceptional”. I couldn’t agree with you more. I apologize for the confusion regarding our location. Portland is a very spread out city and labeling our hotel Downtown/Convention Center was the best way to indicate that we are downtown and close to the convention center. If you are looking for a hotel that is closer to the financial district than please note that Marriott approved the naming of those properties as “City Center”. Again, I apologize for the confusion but I hope my explanation clears things up for you.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

i had a wonderful stay they even took us to the mall and all we had to do is call for them to pick us up. the information about places to go and see was great it's in walking distance of many places to eat and the convention center is very close to hotel. i plan on staying here every time i visit no question the room was very clean comfortable and quite can't beat having a peaceful sleep.

Dear easymoney341,

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am pleased to hear that you were able to utilize our complimentary shuttle service. I will let our housekeeping team know that you found your room to be very clean and comfortable-they will be thrilled to hear this! Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed Friday the 16th for WWE show and loved the Hotel. We were treated great our check in started with" Susan" and she was a super we upgraded to a nicer room no problem to them making sure was in the room extra blankets, pillows and a nice gift bag telling us THANK-YOU for staying with them. We stay at Marriott's a lot but this one was Great Thanks Susan you do a great job I hope your recognized for your extra effort The Rockwell;s

Dear rocky525,

Thank you for your review! I love hearing about the great service my staff is known for. Susan is a new addition to our team and I am happy to hear that she provided you with 5 star service. I will congratulate her on a job well done.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and I wanted to stay at a hotel biking distance to the Pearl District and found this location to be an easy ride to the heart of Porlandia. At first, our reservations were mixed up by the reservation call center. When I spoke to Calla the manager about the matter she was very accomidating and made me feel like I was getting just that, "Customer Service". How she handled the matter made me feel good about moving forward and staying at the property. My experience with the other staff was very pleasant particulary our server Aly at the Charley's restaurant. He was very attentive and showed sincere interest about how our stay at the hotel. Also Abby was very accomidating in her preparation of our dishes. All of them had the servants heart and made our stay memorable. Both my wife and I would come back and stay for a night on the town, concert, or just a nice get away.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear dax I,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I am pleased to hear that Calla, Aly and Abby took great care of you! They are fantastic associates and I am lucky to have them on my team. Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at this property for 3 nights in early August 2013 and found it excellent. We would definitely stay there again. We booked online through the Portland Perks program, which offered a lower room rate, complementary breakfast, and various coupons for restaurants, shopping, and activities. (The coupons are valid through 12/31/13.) There is no shuttle service from the airport, so we arrived via the TriMet light rail line from the airport to within a few blocks of the hotel. With our wheeled luggage, the walk was no trouble. But we were surprised to learn of the complementary shuttle service within a 3 mile radius of the hotel. This was very welcome and we used it several times.

The hotel met our basic demands, as it was safe and clean, but it was so much more. Our room was a standard king and included an internet connection and chair and large desk, a comfortable sofa, and well-designed lighting, which was easy to operate. The bed was extremely comfortable. Everything in the room worked. We enjoyed the fitness center and the swimming pool. The lobby included two complementary desktop computers, as well as comfortable seating, and a very large interactive electronic display with information travelers would want to know. The lobby, restaurant, and our room were all well designed, with attractive color combinations.

Everyone we encountered at the hotel was friendly, helpful, efficient, and professional, from check-in through checkout. However, we would like to especially acknowledge Jeremy, who drove the shuttle, and Island, who offered cheer and beverages at breakfast. Both of them were outstanding. We hope they will still be working at this location when we return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Rena947,

Wow, sounds like you had a fantastic stay! I am thrilled to hear that both Jeremy and Island made such a positive impression on you. I will certainly give them the recognition that they deserve. Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed one night at the Courtyard by Marriott in Portland, Oregon near the Convention Center. The hotel looked new in the inside (the lobby, the restaurant and bar, the carpet and even the elevators). It is walking distance to the MAX Light Rail System that can take you anywhere in Portland and walking distance to the Convention Center. The hotel is not located in the prettiest area of Portland but the staff was friendly and the accommodations were clean, modern and affordable.

Dear PieshFederalWay_WA,

Thank you for your review of my hotel. I am happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and the accommodations to be clean, modern and affordable. I hope you return soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Some of these hotel in this area can be sketchy, this was a nice surprise. Hotel staff was great and the room was fresh and clean. I appreciated the parking garage and the the onsite facilities. I will return.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor.