Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
US$195
US$356
US$327
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscourtyard marriottfront desklloyd centertypical courtyardmoda centerbreakfast buffetvalet parkingfull service restaurantstreet parkingred robinlight railfew blocksmax stationpublic transportationrose gardenfire pitwould highly recommend this hotel
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We needed four rooms for members of my family who came to Portland for my sister's funeral. We needed a variety of rooms to accommodate my 94 year old Mom, our adult children, my brother and his family. Every interaction with the hotel employees left a positive impression from the the assistance provided at check-in, finding the right accessible room for my Mom, and selecting rooms near one another. We had special requests, different arrival and departure dates and different last names. Everyone's check-in was quick and exactly what was arranged.

Each instance where we had any contact with the hotel staff was positive. In fact, all of us noticed that the staff truly enjoyed their work, were smiling and were sincere when they asked if there was anything they could do to help. How often does everybody in a group offer unsolicited comments about something unusual they experienced.

Standout examples over the three days included the bell-hop making certain my Mom's adaptive equipment needs were correct and immediately searching for the right items, a waitress who learned about our sister who left a sympathy note under my brother's room after she finished her work, bartenders and wait staff showing friendly interest and offering great suggestions about Portland restaurants. I walked by a maid who heard me sneeze and she showed up with a box of tissue thinking I might need some extras. The elevators being so thoroughly cleaned that the person even removed the ceiling cover to dust the light fixture.
During my check-out, I was lugging a couple of suitcases through the garage at 6:45 am and an employee, who was arriving for his work day, insisted on helping me by carrying my suitcases to the car.

This Courtyard could serve as the training center for all Marriott hotels. Clearly, employees were recruited who enjoy working with the public, are exceptionally well trained and respected by hotel management. This exceptional service level does not just happen. It is the result of a great deal of hard work and commitment to the best possible experience for its guests.

I have travelled for work for 30 years and my experience is among the very best.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is one where the TV is situated in front of the bed and not to the side.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mike G
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Mike G,

Thank you for your amazing five star review! I am very sorry to hear that you recently lost your sister but I am happy to hear that my staff did their best to take care of you and your family during this difficult time. I will ensure that your review is shared with the entire team this week and I will congratulate them on a job well done. If your travels ever bring you back to the Portland area, we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to take care of you and your family.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I had a big headache and the hotel market did not have the beverage I wanted(non alchoholic) but about 15 minutes later Jeremy at the lobby bought two bottles of this drink and brought it to my room. Thanks for saving me from walking 3 blocks in the rain to buy the drink!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear J Y,

Thank you for your great review regarding the exceptional service that you received from Jeremy. I will commend Jeremy on a job well done. Please come back and stay with us sometime soon.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Had a great time at this hotel and honestly the bartenders including Marcie were incredible but there bar selection and food is low quality and they are missing fun alcohol like fireball. Other then that the food was bland and I would recommend dining somewhere else. If your looking for great atmosphere decent drinks and wonderful service stay here on your next vacation.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Lancealotdrapeau,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that Marcie took great care of you and that you found that we had a great atmosphere with decent drinks and wonderful service. I am sorry to hear that you felt the food was bland. We typically receive very high marks for our food quality. If you could please contact me at your convenience, I would like to find out what you ordered and how you feel that we could improve upon it. I hope you return as a guest of ours sometime soon.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Each and every employee was superb in their duties! Kelly and Tiffany at the front desk. Marisol in house keeping, and Matt the valet ;). Even employees on their way into the building, greeted us and SMILED! What a wonderful group of people. Our room was spotless and quiet.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear cindyferrell36,

Thank you for your 5 star review! I am thrilled to hear that Kelly, Tiffany, Marisol and Matt were superb in their duties. They will be congratulated on a job well done. I am also happy to hear that you found your room to be spotless and quiet. I hope you return as a guest of ours soon.

Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

I normally stay with friends while I'm in Portland, so I wasn't familiar with hotels in the area. Came across this hotel after I was done shopping at the Lloyd Center. The hotel, for the most part, is clean. My room did have a strong odor that smelt like window cleaner, but it was clean and I was happy. The staff is somewhat nice, they say hello, but sounded very cold towards me. Despite that, I would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear KCK503,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community-I am happy to hear that you were pleasantly surprised! I would like to speak to you at your earliest convenience regarding how we can improve our staff service. We pride ourselves in delivering five star service and I welcome any feedback regarding how we can improve. I hope you return as a guest of ours soon.