“good service and right price”

Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #20 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“good service and right price”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This was ideally situated for the convention and it is close to the blue and red lines that run into town. One can also walk to the mall. The beds and the pillows were comfortable, and the room was serviced properly. This is not a fancy place but it is clean and there is a nice bar downstairs. The desk staff is highly competent and gracious.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear thekoms,

I am happy to hear that you found our location to be convenience for you during your stay. Thank you for pointing out that the staff is highly competent and gracious, bed and pillows were comfortable and the room was clean. Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.

503-382-3144

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I spent 2 nights at the Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center while in town for business. I was pleasantly surprised by some of the amenities at this hotel that I haven't seen at other Courtyard properties. The full service bar and restaurant was a bonus when I arrived in the early evening tired and hungry. Usually when staying at a Courtyard you have to go searching for a place for dinner. The menu had a lot of choices and everything I had was delicious. My room was very spacious and clean. Staff at this hotel were friendly and helpful. Two drawbacks - you have to pay for parking ($18 self park or $21 valet per day) and nothing is really walkable in this area. While the hotel is very nice, I think I'd rather stay in an area that is more accessible to restaurants, shops, etc. A learning experience since I was not familiar with Portland.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Nadine_G58,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate that you mentioned that we are not your typical Courtyard. We have a full service restaurant and bar offering many fresh, local and customizable dining options. I am happy to hear that you found your room to be clean and spacious and my staff friendly and helpful. During your next visit, please consider taking advantage of the convenient public transit options that we have. We are located just a few short blocks from the MAX and we are located directly on the Portland Streetcar line. Both of these transit options will take you virtually anywhere you want to go within the city.

Mercer Island, Washington
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

This property is located right off of MLK Boulevard however, unlike other cities where you've stumbled upon a boulevard with the same name, this one is relatively safe. And clean.

The king suite was nice but the service was extraordinary.
I took the free shuttle to get some coffee with a very friendly lady and treated her and one of her coworkers (at the hotel) since she was also kind enough to drop me off at the light rail afterwards.

Acts of kindness go far in life. ;^>

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear MASTERPC,

Thank you for your review and for mentioning that our hotel is located in a safe and clean area of town. I am thrilled to hear that you found the staff service to be extraordinary! I am happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle service. It was very nice of you to treat the staff to a cup of coffee; I know they greatly appreciate that.

West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I got a bad impression from this hotel as soon as I pulled up. I was greeted by the valet who said "Are you checking in? Well I regret to inform you that our on-site parking is full. You will have to park off property." When I inquired where I should go he didn't have a clue. My reservation clearly indicates how much they charge for parking, but nowhere does it say that parking is limited or that it's on a first-come-first-serve basis. I would 100% have stayed elsewhere if I'd known there was even a possibility of not being able to easily and comfortably park my car. Now I've got to get up before 8:00 am and move the car into the valet (IF there's even room) or pay the meter until space becomes available.

As for the tub being in the bedroom... Seriously??? I intentionally booked the spa suite because they were offering a discounted rate, but it'd be better described as the "weird honeymoon suite". Also I got a second floor room and there's a TON of street noise.

Room Tip: Get a high floor or you'll be hearing cars on the road all night.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Chris B,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was anything less than exceptional. We definitely dropped the ball with parking this past weekend and we have been working with our parking vendor to ensure that this situation does not happen again. I certainly understand how frustrating that must have been for you. I hope that you will accept the compensation that you were offered on Friday night by our Assistant GM, Alison Perlick. During your next visit I will ensure that you are placed into a room that is more suited to your needs.

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I recently stayed here for a business trip and was surprised by how accommodating everyone was. At breakfast, the wait staff and kitchen went above and beyond making sure that I could have a gluten free offering. The waitress mentioned that I should have the van drop me off at a local gluten free bakery. This turned out to be the best piece of advice because I learned the hidden gem about this hotel. They have a shuttle that they use to drop off and pick up guests all around town! This was an amazing service staffed by the reception staff who were very knowledgeable about the area and what to do. Every night I explored the area with a different gluten free bakery and restaurant suggestion thanks to them. I did leave a gratuity with the driver once I was dropped off back at the hotel. This hotel is a 3 minute walk to the convention center so this was also great. The rooms are very large and have been updated. The walls are well insulated and we never heard any of our neighbors. The coffee provided in the lobby daily is also quite tasty.

Dear mlletink,

What a wonderful review! I am so happy to hear that my staff was able to provide you with some great restaurant recommendations that assisted you with your dietary restrictions. Our restaurant and bar, Charley’s on Grand, is able to handle any special requests or dietary restrictions as well and we are always happy to accommodate. Thank you for taking advantage of our complimentary shuttle service and for mentioning how convenient this was for you. I hope that you had a safe trip home and will consider staying with us during your next trip to Portland.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I and two other colleagues had the pleasure of staying at this hotel last week for the International TESOL Convention, which was held at the Convention Center. When we had trouble with the paperwork from our district at check-in, Martha stepped in to assist us and took care of everything so we could get settled in our rooms. I had two large boxes of handouts shipped to the hotel, and she arranged to have them brought right up to my room.
The entire hotel was sparkling clean, and everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, and the breakfast buffet was amazing!
One of the best things about the hotel is the free shuttle that was available for a trips within a three-mile radius. Edward took me, my boxes, and my colleagues to the Convention Center the morning I presented at the conference. This was very convenient, especially due to the heavy rain. Jeremy stepped in when my taxi didn't show up for a dinner engagement, and took me and a friend to a local restaurant, came back to pick us up, and made a town car reservation for us to go to the airport.
I have never written a review of a hotel before (I travel a lot for business), but I wanted to recognize the people who helped make this an enjoyable trip. Thank you!

Dear Laura L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in my hotel. I am happy to hear that my team took great care of you. I will congratulate Martha, Edward and Jeremy for doing an outstanding job and making your stay so memorable that it compelled you to write your first review! I hope that you will stay with us again soon if your travels ever bring you back to the Portland area.

Roseville, California
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This is an excellent location. The Courtyard is a short walk to the convention center and light rail. Rooms are clean. Restaurant serves an excellent, reasonably priced breakfast. The workout room and saltwater pool were also better than average for a Courtyard. All staff members were extremely helpful. I would definitely stay here on a future trip to Portland!

1 Thank Anne G
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Anne G,

What an excellent review…thank you! I am happy to hear that you found our rooms to be clean, staff members extremely helpful, enjoyed our breakfast and were able to take advantage of our saline pool and fitness center. Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.