“A solid night's sleep”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“A solid night's sleep”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

For meetings near the Lloyd Center or the Convention Center this is a solid place to stay and fully met my expectations. Off season they offer a few specials like a breakfast credit as well. It's only a few blocks from the Max line, so is convenient for flying in for meetings w/o renting a car.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Robert C,

Thank you for writing about your recent experience in my hotel. I am thrilled to hear that we fully met your expectations. Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.

503-382-3144

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Kalispell, Montana
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The staff really is into customer service. We reserved our room through Travel Portland and we got a discount, free parking & a whole bunch of other stuff. Edmond at the front desk was informational, helpful, and just a great resource.
If the was any negative thing I could say was the breakfast buffet was not that great. One of the servers remembered my chioce of beverage (staff is great) but the eggs were runny and flavor-less. Don't eat here.
Overall though stay was great, the bed was so perfect I want to buy that mattress, the room was cleaner than any hotel I've stayed at in a long time. We will stay here when we come to Portland everytime.

Room Tip: Book through Travel Portland!
Green Features: Didn't see plasfic bags, a constant theme over our whole visit to Oregon.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Budwiezer,

Thank you for your review. While it sounds like you had a wonderful stay and Edward was a great resource to you, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our breakfast. I can assure you that your experience is far from the norm. Currently our breakfast is ranked 4/880 for the Courtyard brand in the world and my staff is well known for ensuring our guests’ needs are met. Thank you for mentioning that our beds were so comfortable and the room was clean. I look forward to meeting you in person during your next trip.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I've been staying at this hotel weekly for the last seven weeks. The hotel is clean and the staff is always friendly. The hotel offers a free shuttle service which includes Downtown Portland. Chris at the front desk is awesome, always willing to help and make sure that you are enjoying your stay. Karuna always has a smile on her face and greets everyone that walks through the lobby. The whole staff makes you feel that you are truly in your 'home away from home". Because of the wonderful staff and service I will continue to use this hotel for the next couple months

Dear mermaid AZ,

Thank you for your five star review! Thank you so much for your continued business. I am happy to hear that you consistently find my hotel is clean and the staff is friendly. I will congratulate Chris and Karuna on a job well done. I look forward to your next stay with us.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We loved the Courtyard Marriott! The staff was friendly, helpful and really nice.... the kids felt like royalty! The hotel was clean and comfortable as well as the perfect location for walking across bridges, taking the trolley to OSMI, etc.

We had a yummy dinner at Charley's and our server, Karuna was the BEST - super sweet to the kids and made them feel so special. She was wonderful.

We'd go back anytime.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Elizabeth M,

Thank you for your five star review! I am happy to hear that you found my staff to be friendly, helpful and really nice. I am glad to hear that our location worked out so well for you and that Karuna served you up a yummy dinner and made your kids feel so special! Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.

Richland, Washington
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed here with my family on a Friday night while attending an event at the nearby Rose Garden arena, which is an easy walk from the hotel. We arrived at about 4:20 pm on Friday afternoon and the valet told me that the parking lot was full, and I would have to find street parking. Fortunately I was able to find street parking about a block away, which turned out to be for the best, as it cost me $5 for the overnight stay versus the $21 that valet parking would have cost. Apparently the hotel is happy to collect parking revenue from those visiting the nearby convention center, without much concern for the parking needs of their overnight guests. I should also add that the hotel web site says self-parking in their garage, rather than valet, is available except for Fridays, Saturdays, and during "special events." The valet also told me that a special event was ongoing, because there was a convention at the convention center. A convention at the convention center is "special?" Really. Aside from the parking situation, the staff and accommodations were excellent. I would give the property an excellent rating if not for the parking.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 59stevem
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear 59stevem,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you found the staff and accommodations to be excellent. I apologize for the parking issue that we had last Friday. We have corrected this issue with our parking vendor and I assure you that we will not have this issue again. Please let me know if I can be of assistance with booking your future reservations.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here for six nights with a friend while attending a convention. The hotel is within an easy walk to the Convention Center (about 5 minutes). The neighborhood felt quite safe, though admittedly we were never out very late. The room was not glamorous, but it was clean and comfortable. Everything -- AC, TV, and internet -- worked well and the beds were comfortable. Although we neither requested nor needed it, the bathroom was of the accessible variety. On the whole, the room seemed very manageable for someone with limited mobility. WiFi was easy to hook into and extremely stable for all of our devices (phones, Chromebook, and Surface). Coffee and tea are available in the room. The coffee is of the pod (bag) variety. Not to my taste, but brewed coffee is on offer in the lobby about half an hour before the breakfast buffet opens. That coffee was fine.

Also nearby is Lloyd Center Shopping Mall (about a 10 - 15 minute walk). There are not a large number of dining options nearby, but there is a MAX stop at the Convention Center which provides quick and easy access to downtown where there is much more on offer. Options at the mall are, naturally, of the fast food variety, but at least that's another choice. Of course the hotel has its own restaurant with decent hours for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The menu isn't large, but what is on offer is done well. There is a small "market" (a small area about the size of a good walk-in closet) beside the front desk where you can pick up quick items like candy, nuts, pot noodles, and similar sorts of products. They also offer beverages like water, soda, and beer.

The breakfast buffet is the real standout. It's possible to order specific menu items, but I'm not sure why you would given what's on offer. Continental (fruit, cereal, hot oatmeal, breads and pastries) goes for 10 USD or full (same plus cooked items like eggs, bacon, potatoes, etc.) for 13 USD, both types with coffee, tea, and juice. And great service.

And this is where the Courtyard stands out. Every staff person we encountered was extremely nice and helpful. That was true from the desk to the restaurant to housekeeping to the valet. On top of that, they were all genuinely nice. No matter how busy they got -- and they certainly got very busy at times -- they took the time not just to satisfy our requests but to go a bit beyond whatever we asked. I'm used to good service at this class of hotel, but I've not encountered this particular combination of genuine friendliness and amazing helpfulness. As mentioned by another reviewer, Martha A. was a standout among this stellar group. While I'd like to think this was all for us seeing as we're such wonderful people, we saw many other guests getting the same treatment.

My only complaint is the breakfast hours. On weekdays they start at 06:30 while Saturdays and Sundays they start at 07:00. As an early riser, I would have liked to begin around 06:00 or even 05:30, but I guess they've determined that the current hours are optimal. Having the coffee and tea service available in the lobby from 06:00 every day would be nice, but, again, I'm sure they've looked into this to determine the best hours.

Although I didn't use the fitness center, I did stop by for a look as I normally make use of them when I travel. It was very clean and the machines all looked to be in good shape. Although it is on the small side and with limited options, it looked good enough for the traveler who just wants to move a little. Also note that this hotel offers a heated pool if you need an exercise fix.

If you care about service, this establishment has to be at the top of your list. You may be able to do better in terms of amenities and proximity to tourist attractions (though that would probably come at a price), but the typical business traveler should find this hotel to be more than satisfactory for his or her needs.

Room Tip: We had room 239. This faces the Wendy's parking lot. There was one morning -- can't recall w...
1 Thank LM606
Dear LM 606,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience in my hotel with the TripAdvisor community. I am happy to hear that you had a great experience and that my staff took care of your needs during your stay. Thank you for mentioning that what really makes this hotel stand out is the extremely nice and helpful staff. My team takes great pride in delivering exceptional service and it shows in our guest feedback. I hope that we have the opportunity to take care of your lodging needs again if your travels bring you back to the Portland area.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This was ideally situated for the convention and it is close to the blue and red lines that run into town. One can also walk to the mall. The beds and the pillows were comfortable, and the room was serviced properly. This is not a fancy place but it is clean and there is a nice bar downstairs. The desk staff is highly competent and gracious.

Dear thekoms,

I am happy to hear that you found our location to be convenience for you during your stay. Thank you for pointing out that the staff is highly competent and gracious, bed and pillows were comfortable and the room was clean. Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.