“We'll be back next year...”

Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center
Ranked #20 of 143 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
KC
“We'll be back next year...”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Picked this hotel on purpose for the last night of a golf trip - after a great experience last year and once again did not disappoint. Staff is friendly and professional, rooms are comfortable, location is good. We hung out at the bar and were treated to excellent service by Amber and Katerina - smart, funny, cool - top notch across the board. Anytime I'm in Portland - for work or fun - I'll be staying there - hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear adam s,

I am so happy to hear that you returned and had another wonderful experience. Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with the TripAdvisor community. Amber, Katerina and the rest of my team look forward to welcoming you back during your next stay.

503-382-3144

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The Courtyard by Marriot Lloyd Center is great value. The hotel was under $100/night including taxes. The room was not luxurious, but it was clean and the bed was very, very comfortable. To add to that, all the staff were helpful, cheerful and personable. The people at the front desk gave us great suggestions for restaurants and directions here and there. I promised to give a special thanks to the lovely waitress/bus girl Magdalena. What a beautiful smile she has. She and the waitress ( I don't remember the name) were both a great team. Although the hotel is not in the main downtown area (it is across the river) it was very easy to get around both by public transit and car. And Portland is a wonderful place for a short vacation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter K, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Convention Center, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Lorne B,

Thank you for your recent stay. I greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community and I am thrilled to hear that you had a fantastic stay! I will congratulate the staff in the restaurant, Magdalena in particular for providing you with a great breakfast experience. Please come back and stay with us again soon.

MusicTraveler2
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is a quite nice Courtyard, and I have stayed in many. However, one of the normal aspects of Courtyard properties are reasonable charges that can live within your expense account. Not so here. From the highly over priced cocktails to the mandatory expensive parking (even though not in a neighborhood where free parking would seem normal) the vibe I got from the hotel is that we will charge you for every single possible thing we can think of. I'm a high level Marriott member, and found in my room only two $3 apiece bottles of drinking water. No amenities, no consideration on room, nothing. The only positive I can say is it was convenient to my business and clean. Oh, and the restaurant wasn't bad, pretty good actually, as was the staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear MusicTraveler2,

Thank you for your mentioning how nice our Courtyard is! We are proud of our hotel and the fact that we offer a full service restaurant and bar. By offering our own food and beverage concept we are able to be more creative and price our beverages at or below that of the Bistro which is located in most Courtyards. I assure you that our cocktail pricing is better or the same as any Bistro in a downtown market. Parking here is $18 for self-parking Sunday-Thursday (excluding special events) and $21 for valet on the weekends. Our city center hotels charge over $30 for valet only so we feel that we offer an excellent value to our guests. Bottled water is typically $3-4 per bottle when purchased as an amenity within most guest rooms. We have chosen the lower of those two prices at $3 a bottle. Thank you for mentioning how clean the hotel was and how good the staff was in the restaurant. I sincerely hope that you will consider coming back and staying with us again sometime soon. I think by shopping the market, you will find that we provide the best value.

Sebastopol, California
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We had a very nice stay at this hotel when we attended a symposium at the convention center. the staff was helpful and professional, the rooms were nice, and all in all comfortable. The only drawback may be the location. If we had to do it again, we might find somewhere in downtown. This is only because we are foodies, and the bulk of good restaurants are downtown. The exception to this is Olympic Provisions, not far from the hotel. The swimming pool was small and smelled very strongly of chlorine, the exercise room was small but adequate.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear elizabeth33069,

I am happy to hear that you had a very nice stay in my hotel. If you choose to stay at my hotel again we would be happy to introduce you to some amazing award winning restaurants that are very close to the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you found our pool to smell of chlorine. My maintenance team must have just shocked the pool which can cause a stronger than normal smell of chlorine. Normally there is little to no odor due to the saline system that we have installed. Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon.

Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I'm writing this and we're still in the hotel, but I'm afraid I'll forget when I'm home. I love this hotel. I know it's part of a chain, but the staff are wonderful. We just had our second breakfast and the food is great and the servers!!!! Honestly, I don't know when I've felt so warmly welcomed in any restaurant. A real buffet with omelets to order, steel-cut oatmeal with fresh fruit. The little things mean a lot - not that a great breakfast is a little thing. And the bedroom is very comfy- great bed! And we get a couch! I've had bigger hotel rooms, but it's big enough for my five year-old grandson to build a 400-piece Lego set on the floor! (Okay, he's a genius.) We're walking distance to a huge mall and also... Burgerville! Have you checked out Burgerville in Portland? Local everything- you must have their seasonal milk shakes. Right now it's fresh strawberry. And when onions are in season, they have the best onion rings I've ever had. (Not this trip. Sigh.) Happiness here at Courtyard by Marriott.

Room Tip: Always ask for a king!
Green Features: Not sure about this- but I'm from Vermont and this is Portland so... oh right! We have CFL light bulbs!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Maura C,

It was a pleasure meeting you and your grandson yesterday. I am happy to hear that you are enjoying your stay and that my team is taking great care of you. We are just a couple of blocks from the Lloyd Center Mall, great restaurants and shopping and, of course, Burgerville. Enjoy the rest of your trip with your grandson and I hope we see you the next time you return to Portland.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed at the Courtyard for three days last month for a business trip. The staff was honestly incredible. Very helpful and friendly. Special shout out to Karuna and Katarina. who gave us awesome service. I was also pleasantly surprised at the bar area/outside fire pit. Cool spot to unwind at the end of the day. We did eat at the restaurant one evening for dinner and the food was good as well. I will definitely be back here when returning to Portland. Take advantage of the free shuttle...it saved us!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Brian724,

Thank you for your five star review! I am happy to hear that you found my staff to be incredible. Karuna and Katarina and amazing and I will congratulate them for a job well done. Thank you for mentioning our fire pit/patio area, it really is a great place to relax and have a drink.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The staff at this hotel are the most professional and caring staff I've encountered at any hotel. Overall, our stay was really great. The hotel offers a free shuttle service within a 3 mile radius until 9pm. They also do pick ups! This alone saved us a lot of headache and money with transit or cabbing. There was two times when the shuttle was busy or unavailable where the hotel immediately offered to send a cab to pick us up and pay for it. Amazing! I was really shocked they offered this.

On our first night's stay we were awoken by loud guests in the room next door. I went down to the front desk to inform them. The staff member sent security up right away but the partiers continued on. I got no sleep that night. Around 7 AM I went to the lobby to speak with a manager. After explaining the situation the manager sincerely apologized and promptly moved us to another room. She even offered us a credit for our first night's stay. I was not expecting this at all.

We've already decided we will be staying at this hotel for our next Portland visit. The amazing service from all staff, shuttle service, and the pretty central location of this hotel all make it a really great choice. I'm really looking forward to next time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear chknspr,

I am happy to hear that you found my staff to be the most professional and caring you’ve encountered at any hotel. My team and I pride ourselves in delivering the best service in the City of Portland. I am sorry to hear that you had some noisy neighbors during your first night with us. I am glad to hear that Alison compensated you for the inconvenience. I look forward to meeting you in person during your next stay.