“Best Spa by Far!”
Review of The DragonTree

The DragonTree
Ranked #3 of 50 Spas & Wellness in Portland
Reviewed 10 June 2011

My sister and I found this place online and boy, what a find! The total experience was so wonderful, it was like when you wake up from a great nights sleep and want to crawl right back in bed. As soon as we left, we wanted go to back. The pearl district is posh, but the prices of the Dragontree are not- they are very reasonable (one of the things that first drew us). This is not a salon and spa as most places are- which can be noisy and busy. This is a spa. period. You walk to the front door and it is beautiful, you walk in and are greeted with friendly, smiling, approachable staff. While in the front waiting room, we were given delicious tea in wonderful teacups and saucers. We couldn't get enough of all of the all natural products they have. I am sure we smelled everything. We decided to get a couple of treatments in the Sangha Room. My sister got a hand and arm massage (followed by a neck and back massage) and I got the Head, Neck, and Shoulder Massage. The Sangha Room is absolutely serene and beautiful. Maroon walls are bathed in soft light. Overhead, there are vines strung at regular ceiling height, past them there is the white high vaulted ceiling. We were told it was an old carriage house originally. Surprisingly, there are no echos and all you hear is a trickling of water and perhaps some faint soothing music. We brought some wine and apple slices and enjoyed them on the couches while we were getting our treatments (there are end tables so you can set your wine glass on them). We were seated on one of a couple of maroon plush couches. These couches are about two feet off the ground and you get on with a footstool. A soothing warm/hot barley filled satchel was placed around our shoulders. The massage therapists come to you and massage you while you relax on the couches. The therapists were extremely talented and friendly. I wanted to stay indefinitely and am looking forward to going back when I visit my sister again in Oregon!

12  Thank Sandy28970

Reviewed 6 November 2009

Went here with my wife. Had foot baths, shoulder massage, body massage and my wife even convinced me to get a facial. I dig architecture and this place is in a cool old building with big exposed beams,rafters, and skylights. Nicely decorated, not too girly. Very sweet staff, easy on the eyes too. Hey, there's nothing wrong with looking. Foot bath was surprisingly nice. Had a shoulder and neck massage at the same time. We came to Portland because I had some business and I was pretty stressed out. After this I was basically drooling. The massage was great. Have had some problems with my shoulder and lower back for like 10 years and the woman working on me seriously knew what she was doing. Intense, but it's been a month since then and they haven't bothered me at all. Last was the facial. I thought they were more of a woman's thing, but actually I would do it again. Felt nice, relaxing, and my face looked about 10 years younger when she was done. If you're in Portland definitely check this place out!

4  Thank RedSoxForever
Reviewed 8 August 2008

Delightful experience at the Dragontree Holistic Day Spa....provided...from the warm greeting as you enter, of not only the staff yet the decor. Having lived in the greater Portland area MANY years ago, and visited many times, yet not taking part in this spa's offering, I was looking forward to a relaxing time..... and was not disappointed. Parking was a breeze............ so starting the day was a pleasure. The aroma's, the sound of the water falling from the fountain............. and the gentle let amazing hands of my massage therapist, Ciara..... beg to have her.... , then lay back, forget your concerns and know that you are in great place!.

3  Thank leila n
Reviewed 28 March 2008

I visited The DragonTree solely because I had a coupon. I'd received it among a gift package of coupons and discounts at Portland-area businesses in return for a charitable donation I'd made. I was going to be in town for a play so I scheduled the "Sweet & Simple" foot bath & massage beforehand. After seeing the entire menu, I wish I lived closer so I could visit more often! In fact, I found myself wishing I lived down the street so I could take part in some of their ongoing classes and other things!

The building is located near the Nob Hill shopping district, but far enough off the beaten path that I was readily able to find on-street parking on a Saturday. It's what the planning trade would call an "adaptive reuse" of an old garage structure. The front of the business is a garage door, and the building retains much of its old-fashioned charm. It's been decorated in a way that makes you feel like you're sitting in a garden, and I could hear inobstrustive water sounds to add to the relaxation.

There was only one down side that I could see: if you're a plus-size woman, take your own robe! A heavy woman came into the footbath area wearing a robe that was clearly inadequate. They had to cover her with towels so nothing was showing. Most spas have larger robes available, but I'm guessing theirs fits up to a XL. I was glad I was having a treatment that didn't require disrobing, because I would've been in the same position.

Unfortunately, this same woman kicked over her footbath and water went everywhere. Thus I learned my second lesson: don't leave your purse sitting on the floor! If you're there for more than just a foot treatment, your personal items will most likely be in a locker, but unfortunately mine got soaked.

Other than that, what a wonderful experience. I chatted with numerous other women and enjoyed a great massage. I've had some problem with swollen ankles following recent surgery, and the therapist was skilled in lymph massage to remove the drainage. I could see my ankles again by the time I was done! There was absolutely no pressure to buy products, and they weren't snotty about my discount - in fact, they thanked me for donating!

There's a cafe next door that also provides spa meals, which you can preorder. However, I just went over there afterward and had a great glass of freshly pressed juice and a panini sandwich. It's all very low-key and relaxing, just what a spa should be. I will definitely go back there to try some of the other services when I go to Portland in the future.

7  Thank deborahj62