“Open early”

Best Baguette
Ranked #1,678 of 4,404 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This location has a drive thru and it's open really early. Don't bother with the dac biet sandwich, the fillings are just ok. Get the grilled meat sandwich, which has tender meat with nice charry edges. Bubble tea is hit or miss, depending on the flavor. I recommend the red bean flavor. If you're taking the sandwiches to go, they will pack the vegetable filling separately so that the sandwich doesn't get soggy. For better value, try going to Binh Minh down SE Powell for sandwiches that are just as fresh and delicious but like a dollar less.

1  Thank ouchfirehot

Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Fresh bread, great selection, and amazing beverages. Stopping here is a must if in the area.I will definitely return.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

I thought I was going to to a French bakery, but to my surprise I found a Vietnamese bakery. Large selection, but I took the easy way out. No exploration this trip. I ordered a roast beef sandwich with lettuce and cheese. The meat was plentiful. The lettuce fresh, but my oh my the baguette was Wonderful. Very fresh. I also got a cheese and blueberry Danish. The blueberries were as big as grapes. This is really a partial review, I must get back to properly explore the menu and interesting drinks. Go quickly don't think you will be disappointed.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

Their sandwiches are to die for and so inexpensive. Also, try their new korean soft tacos. So good! I usually get a chicken teriyaki sandwich or korean tacos. Their bubble tea is a little overpowering with the sugar, but their thai tea is pretty addictive.

Reviewed 19 July 2010

I’ve gone to Best Baguette many times over the three or four years since I first heard of them. While I originally would have rated them a 4, after recent visits I would have to give them a 2.5 or 3.

They still have pretty much the same (large) selection of Banh mi sandwiches, they always have had. There are many meats and combinations to choose from. The pork roll is a favorite of mine, as is the Pork Roll and Egg sandwich. I’ve even enjoyed the Best Baguette Special from time to time. My last visit I had the Chicken Salad which was a little spicy but otherwise enjoyable.

I like the vegetables they put on the Vietnamese sandwich orders, which include cilantro, daikon, carrot but I usually have them leave off the slivers of hot pepper. Sometimes the cilantro is a bit stringy, and you end up taking it off anyway. It would be nice if they only put the leaves on the sandwich and not the stems. You can always ask to have the veggies on the side and then you can fix it the way you like it.

The bread is always fresh, with a crispy crust with a softer inside. They also have a full bakery there so you can order just the rolls to take home, or fresh croissants or some sweet pastries. The selection always seems to be changing which is good. They have removed the gelato in favor of a self-service frozen yogurt machine.

But I am concerned about the temperature that their food is served at. Cold fillings like the various meats and the chicken salad aren’t quite that cold - same to be said with the meats that are served ‘hot’ they seem to be warm, at best. In the last few months, the place usually looks a bit unkempt and disorganized. They regularly keep boxes of stock along the walls in the dining room which just makes the place look a bit dumpy.

Service is not the fastest - Subway can make a sandwich faster even when they ask you what you want at each step. They seem to put every order in multiple bags regardless if it is for take out or to eat there.

Their prices seemed to have nearly doubled in the three or four years since i have been going there. Where you used to be able to get a sandwich with a single meat for as low as $2.50 they now charge about $4. Their croissants were about $1 and now they are $1.75 The added price along with the sloppy shop means I have been stopping by less frequently than I had.

If you are a looking for a good survey of Bahn Mi sandwiches in Portland, stop by. But don’t expect a top of the line lunch experience.

1  Thank PDXNoah