“Still a nice place to eat”

Sayler's Old Country Kitchen
Ranked #80 of 4,292 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Portland
“Still a nice place to eat”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We had not been to the restaurant in years and we were out in the area with our Entertainment Book. We got their at 6 p.m. on a Friday night and the lot was almost full, so we thought we would never be served without a reservation. When we went in, they told us ten minutes and it took less than five to get a table. There are senior priced meals but we wanted something a little more filling. Big mistake - we were filled and also took home a people bag. Everything was great and cooked precisely to order. The chowder (Friday) was a full bowl and was delicious. Four warm pieces of warm bread with dipping butter and a veggie tray besides the main course. Steaks were very tender and tasty. We ordered a half carafe of "red wine." It filled both wine glasses twice plus. We asked what the house wine was as it was very good. We were told Inglenook. Oh, and of course, we had a choice of ice cream or sherbet for dessert. And we got the $10 Entertainment Book discount! All in all - excellent!!

• Visited June 2014

Portland, Oregon
“Dependable and great”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This restaurant is located in a place for anyone visiting or living here can easily find. Saylers has been a Portland landmark and known for its delicious meals for decades. Celebrities have eaten here; just off I-205 on East Stark. Their steaks are always good, perfectly done and tender. They boast that they are the "home of the 72 oz. Steak." Service is always top-notch.

Visited June 2014
Gladstone, Oregon
“Been going since 1974”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Been going to the Old Country Kitchen for 40 years now, hope to go for another 40.Not fancy, just really good food, friendly wait staff, and decent prices.

• Visited April 2014
Welches
“They Need to Refurbish the Disgustingly Dirty Old Furniture in the Bar”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary at Sayler's Old Country Kitchen. We went early as there is always a wait time to get seated. At 5:20 pm, the wait time was estimated to be 20 minutes, so we headed to the bar for a celebratory drink. We walked into the bar, and my immediate reaction was disgust and almost shock at the disgusting condition of the bar chairs. They are very worn, and appear to NEVER have been cleaned, EVER!!! My shock was such that I had to force myself to sit in them. The sun was streaming in through the skylight and windows, which is why they looked so disgusting. If it had been dark, I would never have noticed a thing. It made me glad I don't hang out in those kind of dark places. Maybe I should a little more, and it wouldn't have been so shocking. At any rate, halfway through that first drink, I wasn't caring too much anyway.

We were soon called for dinner, and seated out in the open with everyone else. There isn't really any ambiance anywhere, as the main purpose of the place is to get you in, and out, altho we were never feeling rushed by anyone. The steaks were good. I had a T-Bone, at $29.95 and my husband had a Top Sirloin at $24.95, which he said was very good. We ordered our steaks medium, and mine was a little redder than I would have liked, but still good. I was expecting more pink, not red.

We can normally count on a good steak, but it isn't always so. We celebrated our 19th anniversary at Sayler's, and I got a sour steak that time. My husband knows his steak, and he was the one that confirmed it was sour. At that time, I kept trying to choke it down, as I thought it was some disgusting new seasoning they had put on it. I had never heard of a sour steak, and would never have expected anything like that from Sayler's anyway. The owner did not receive the news well. She thought I was trying to get a free steak and did not grasp the concept that I did NOT want anyone getting sick and they needed to check for more sour steak. I fully planned on paying for my dinner, (and I did) and I had already refused the offer of them cooking me a new steak as I had already choked most of that one down. It was a very unpleasant scene, and I refused to go there for YEARS.

About 20 years later we went with another couple, and low and behold, we got moldy bread served to us. Others around us verified it was moldy, the waitress whipped it away and brought us new bread. She was very nice.

They do a very brisk business, and are packed every time we go there. I would think they could invest in either new coverings for the bar furniture, or new chairs. They should take a fresh look at what people are seeing, and sitting in. It does not reflect their success at all. Truly distasteful to see it in the light.

• Visited May 2014
Vacaville, California
“A nice experience but.....”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is definitely a popular restaurant with the locals. I found the service was great, but the food was very bland. Very little if any seasoning is used in preparing the dishes. The size of the portions was good; you won't leave there hungry. It's just too bland for our taste.

• Visited May 2014

Been to Sayler's Old Country Kitchen? Share your experiences!