“Great modern downtown hotel”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #28 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We enjoyed a great stay at Hotel Modera. The staff was incredibly kind - from the courtesy call to confirm our reservation, until check out, everyone we encountered was helpful and friendly. The fire pits are awesome - perfect for happy hour or hanging out, even in the rain, and we loved the iPad in the lobby area. The room was nice - cool decor and it felt very clean. We loved the location, and we felt like it was an amazing value. We would recommend Hotel Modera, and we will (hopefully) visit again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank stephcarlson
There are newer reviews for Hotel Modera

Reviewed 12 October 2011

Very contemporary,boutique hotel in a great location. Friendly, thorough staff who sent personal email reminders about our accommodations and reservation information. Delightful.

Room Tip: The suite is great for families.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We stayed here on the recommendation of a friend who lives in the area. The public areas are very nice, with cozy fire pits with which to enjoy a cocktail or two on a chilly fall evening. The lobby is a great space for people watching or just hanging out. I appreciated the Mac computers with which to check e-mail and print our boarding pass. Rooms, however, are microscopic - even by Portland standards. The bed was not particularly comfortable and the walls are very think so you can hear everything going on in your neighbors room. There are also very few amenities, we are used to getting the NY Times when we stay at other hotels however there are no newspapers or free coffee here. The price is to high for what you get, for the next time around I would likely stay at the nearby Westin or Hilton or for a boutique hotel experience the Lucia.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BayAreaTravellerSJ
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

Dear Guests from San Diego,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I am very happy to hear that you found our public areas pleasant and our services convenient.

I am sorry to hear that you found our rooms too small for your taste and that your neighbors were noisy. While we are not known for the spaciousness of our rooms, we have done our best to maximize the space we do have. We have reduced the clutter often found in other hotels by hiding them in or below the furniture in the rooms. Features such as our complimentary in room safe, honor bar, mini refrigerator can all be found in the cabinet next to the desk. Our complimentary in-room coffee maker and hairdryer are located in the guestroom bathroom, and visible on the shelf below the counter. Also, in each guestroom, is an iHome docking station, two telephones, 32" flat panel HD TV, luxurious Tarocco bathroom amenities and two microfiber robes.

I regret that you did not find your guestroom bed comfortable. Each bed is fashioned with designer linens, pillow top mattresses, Pacific Coast Feather pillows and comforter, as well as a soft faux fur throw.

We do offer every guest a complimentary local newspaper upon request. While it may not be the New York Times, our local Oregonian offers much of the same information and is up to date on all current events.

Thanks again for choosing Hotel Modera, your business is appreciated. If you would like to contact me directly to discuss your recent stay, I would welcome your comments.

Regards,
Desmond Mollendor
503.484.1084

Reviewed 11 October 2011

Very pleasant hotel overall, and the decor is quite nice. Good staff and great location. There is much to like here, but I had a bum room.

For me, the room was too small and cramped, feeling like NYC or Tokyo square footage. As it happens, my room had several defects -- the HVAC was uncontrollably hot, the sink was very slow draining, the water too soft for me (hardness and pressure) and the carpet was sticky underfoot. I was scheduled to stay for three nights but chose to leave after one due to the problems. The desk staff offered another room, but my first night was sufficiently difficult that I paid the $50 early departure penalty and moved on. I was not happy about getting clipped for leaving under these circumstances but took Steve Job's lesson to heart (life is short), swallowed hard and did not look back. In order to switch rooms, I had to pack as if leaving altogether. At that point the grass looked greener anywhere else.

As others have noted, this is a fine property, and you are likely to fare much better in your room than I did. Had I discovered all my problems before getting settled, I am sure I could have found another suitable room at the hotel.

The fixtures and furnishings are upscale, and the guest rooms and common areas are very well designed and executed. The interior spaces are beautiful.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Dear Guest from Ohio,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. We appreciate your kind words about the décor of the hotel and our convenient location.

It is of up-most importance to us that each guest has an enjoyable and comfortable stay, and I am very sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory. While we are working very diligently to insure that every room is in top shape we can’t always catch every problem before one of our guests do. I have made sure that the issues you have described will receive proper attention. However, had you allowed us to move you to another room, I feel confident that it would have meet your standards of comfort, function and cleanliness.

Thank you again for choosing Hotel Modera and I hope you might stay with us again in the future. I would like to encourage you to contact me in regards to your previous stay, and allow me to also personally assist in arranging your next stay with us.

Regards,
Desmond Mollendor
503.484.1084

Reviewed 11 October 2011

I was in Portland for one night and found about this hotel online. My partner and I were pleasantly surprised about how beautiful and modern the property was. Rooms were clean and spacious, bathrooms were spotless and had very nice products (citrus soap, shampoo etc).

The restaurant was excellent too and we sat in the garden by the fire pits. I don't remember what was near the hotel as our stay was in the spring of last year, but everything reachable by foot.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I recently had to go to Portland for business and stayed at Hotel Modera and my experience was wonderful. The location was terrific!! We went everywhere on foot, mainly because we like to walk. If you don't like to walk the max's is right out the door as well as the buses. The hotel itself was clean and very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They also have a restaurant on site that was very good. The hotel is kind of cool and has a sixties twist.

Room Tip: Any room would be good.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2011

The rooms are small, but who stays in your room that much? The decor is modern and funky. And the hotel is very clean - a must on my list. Staff was friendly. Wifi was good - I could catch it sitting outside downstairs. It is nicely located for wandering the city center on foot. There is a lovely courtyard with large fire pits for chilly evenings. And you MUST try the restaurant on the ground floor - Nel Centro. You can read my 5 star review of it as well.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business