“all in all: underwhelmed”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #28 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 30 May 2012

As a Trip Advisor, I want to share a couple helpful hints so you can enjoy your overnights in Portland. Hotel Modera is a decent hotel and the main floor -- public spaces including restaurant, lobby and outdoor courtyard are very nice.

However, the second floor tends to be very loud -- there was a loud mechanical buzz all weekend along one suite of rooms. Street noise was not an issue.

I also caution against a room on the second floor because my room reeked of roasted chicken (alas the restaurant features a rotisserie). For vegetarians, coming back to our room at night was a true killjoy.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor! City view is preferred to courtyard.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MiCasaEsSuCasa
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland, and thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am very sorry that you experienced some issues with noise transference and restaurant aromas. Had you brought this to our attention to one of our staff members, we would have been very happy to arrange a room move to a more suitable location in the Hotel. I would also like to know what room you were staying in so that we can address any mechanical issues that could lead to the buzzing sound you described.

Thanks again for choosing Hotel Modera. Please feel free to contact me directly in regards to your recent stay.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Well decorated room, friendly service. Love the vibe of the hotel lobby and hallways.
We had room service and happy hour at nel centro - both were very good.

In the middle of the night when the air stopped working and only heat was coming out of the vent. woke up to 82 degree room and for the rest of the evening had no air night auditor verified this. Lots of noise at 5am with window having to be open. Not a very good night sleep. Had to close the window because of noise then room became stuffy. They gave me a comp movie for this inconvenience and coming from the hotel industry myself thought they could have offered a bit more for the poor nights sleep. would still recommend the hotel - close to keller auditorium. We stay at the hotel monaco for the shows and will consider the modera again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank trvlwrld

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I’m pleased you found the staff friendly, and the energy of the hotel and restaurant to your liking.

I am displeased to learn that you encountered heating issues during the night. I am sorry that your room felt uncomfortable and stuffy, and that you were dissatisfied with the resolutions offered by our evening staff.

I would like to encourage you to contact me directly to discuss the details of your recent stay.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

This is one of my favorite hotels in Portland and I always look for a room here first. The staff is very professional and attentive. I have to give a special thank you to the Valet staff. After we got to the room, they called to let us know we had forgotten to give them the key fob to lock the car. I offered to bring it down, but they ran up promptly to get it. The next morning, my wife was going to go walk around downtown and realized her umbrella was still in the car. The valet attendant remembered her from the night before, knew which car it was and fetched the umbrella.

The only minor glitch was a squeaky bed which made for a restless first night's sleep. It was quickly fixed once we notified the front desk.

Another plus is the free Wi-Fi. Not as fast as home, but it sure beats the $10 a day some other hotels charge.

I travel to Portland on business fairly often and my one wish is for the Modera to be a bookable property on the federal GovTrip system

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We had the most amazing room. They upgraded us to a suite. The bathroom was so moderen, the bedroom had a sliding door to separate the sitting area. The carpet was nice to walk on. We had a great view of the city and there was a great big faux fur blanket, it was so cozy, I loved it. Although it was raining outside, big surprise, we sat outside on their patio by the fire places and it was nice. The only downfall is that parking costs $27 a day. I loved this hotel and would defiantly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2012

One of the better Portland downtown hotels, and I’ve stayed in pretty much all of them over the years. [Including, I might add, as a child, this one, which my recollection was then called The Downtowner but as you can see from the postcard pic in this review was at least at one time called the American West and was, prior to its reno, according to press, a Days Inn. Of course the outdoor swimming pool of motor hotel days is long gone.]

Our room was small but functional, the bed a decent mix of firm and comfort, the amenities (iPod dock, HDTV, minibar fridge with room for our own beverages, yes, very nice, windows that open) OK. A superb feature that all hotels should adopt yesterday though is bagged ice: At the elevators there is a freezer with small bags of ice and buckets. No annoying, noisy, irritating ice machine to avoid or tolerate. Some downsides too though. The bathroom has had a superb cosmetic makeover but nothing of integrity. There is but one light switch without a dimmer, which means at all hours if you want to use the BR you will be turning on the heat lamp as well as the bright fluorescents on the mirror. Although the mirror fixture is rather brilliant as a space saver and the light is perfect for shaving getting up to take a leak in the middle of the night and being assaulted by a solar flare is a little disconcerting. The shower, if indeed I could be so generous to call it that, is hands down the most pathetic excuse for a shower in the western hemisphere. It’s like having a wood nymph sprinkle pixie dust on your scalp. And getting the water temperature to anything close to a steady temperature was next to impossible.

Our friends were staying at The Nines. So we were visiting and comparing venues all weekend, especially because they were paying less (they had the same room rate as us but valet parking was included; valet is $27nt at Modera—however, if you are there on a weekend as we were, you can park across the street on 6th for $4 Fri eve, $4 Sat and $4 Sun, so pretty hard to justify the valet rate). Down at TN if you have a courtyard room you will hear, e.g., revellers in the bar late in the evening and, say, the staff dragging chairs across the parquet at 5 a.m. in preparation for breakfast. Apparently they haven’t heard of something called double glazing. So that would irritate me no end, as it did our friends. But the rooms are twice the size of Modera and the bathrooms much plusher with spectacular showers. Modera should have just stripped out all their crappy old motor hotel bathtubs completely and put in showers, but they have gone the lipstick route in their bathrooms and it shows. The design of the Modera is definitely more to my taste, though, TN is a little too much Juicy Couture-ish for my liking; and the coloured gauze curtains outside the elevators at TN are the sort of design mistake you see on reality TV when the budget runs low and they have to improvise on a deadline. Modera, particularly in the common areas, has one-upped the W style for a decent mix of mid-century modern and practicality. The bar at TN (Destinations, on the roof) is spectacular, the food surprisingly good, the staff amazing, and we were in and out of it all weekend. The bar, in and outside at Modera, is a more casual, relaxed and less “destination” with an everyday happy hour but why the centre courtyard is Tonka sandbox toy ad dirt, not slate or stone or even an aesthetically pleasing gravel, was beyond us. As for the common areas, I give Modera the thumbs up over TN, and you won’t be competing in elevators with 400 special event attendees or conventioneers.

Being downtown there is the noise consideration too. The rooms are stuffy and you will either want the window open (a little top heavy with traffic noise or, if you’re above the outdoor bar, people enjoying themselves) or the ventilation cranked. The ventilation must be a “rare find” from the mid-20th century because it has the rattle and vibration of an old VW camper van from the 70s.. That said, maybe I’m wrong, and in fact if during the reno it was updated then the engineer should be tracked down and detained. In the alternative, if you open the window the suction will cause your door to slam and shake all the walls (they auto shut but do not have a tempered door closer). Oh, and you will hear your neighbours, hands down.

The Modera has a million pluses, and is a great place to stay. But there are also a million small things that could have/should have made it much better and, given that it’s not cheap, I think there’s room for improvement.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Overseez
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with Hotel Modera. I am very pleased you found the style of the Hotel to your liking and the rooms functional and comfortable. We too find our bagged ice option better than the more common alternative.

I see that you also included a thorough review of another local downtown hotel, The Nines. Perhaps you might consider reviewing The Nines on their designated TripAdvisor listing.

I’m sorry you did not fully appreciate the features of our bathrooms. When renovating the hotel in 2008, we paid very close attention to the details of the bathrooms and are quite pleased with the results. While we do have walk in showers in a number of our guestrooms, we wanted to keep tubs as many guests prefer them over showers only. I am sorry you experienced some shower issues during your stay. We do not encounter many complaints about our water pressure or temperature, and it is of interest to me that there was a problem. I would like to know which guest room you were in so that we can make sure it gets attention if needed.

In regards to your mention of our parking fee, we do offer secure, onsite, valet parking at a cost of $27 per night. This cost is comparable and often lower than most of the other hotels in downtown. There are other lots for parking nearby at lower overnight cost, but these are mostly un-secure, self-park options blocks from the Hotel. The Nines, as you mention in your review, does offer overnight valet parking at a fee of $39 per night. I presume your friends reserved a package option that included valet parking.

Thanks again for reviewing your stay with us. We look forward to having you with us again on your next trip to Portland!

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Gorgeous modern hotel with well appointed rooms, beautiful lobby, helpful staff and concierge. The beds are super comfortable. We also loved the outside gas hotel fire pits that kept us warm and had drinks. The location is excellent close city center, shopping, street car, Starbucks. Nel centro the restaurant is super good as well, especially breakfast.

Room Tip: suite are great for family
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Attended a conference and this was the overflow hotel. Couldn't have been happier. The room even had a window that could be opened for fresh air! The staff appeared incredibly young but was knowledgeable and nice. It is located right near the free streetcar making it very easy to get around. My room had a mini fridge. With a 7-eleven and grocery a few blocks away, midnight snacks and a light breakfast were easily arranged. Passes to 24-hour Fitness were a real perk. Probably the only downside was a lack of noise barrier between the rooms. I could literally hear the people in the rooms on either side of me talking. Thankfully the A/C was a bit noisy. So keeping the fan on gave me a sense of privacy and quiet. (The soaps and shampoo were absolutely to die for.)

Room Tip: Far from the elevator is probably a good idea.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business