“Wonderful hotel,brilliant staff”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #31 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Best hotel of the trip from Vancouver to Portland (and back) owned by the same group as the andra in Seattle
First class staff especially Brea she was lovely, great advice on the best neighbourhood places to eat and drink
You must try the screen door and pok pok ! They were sensational
Loved Portland as well will deinately return , free transport friendly people and most of all great beer!!
Rooms were superb , very modern I think it used to be a days in which has been fully refurbished
Great bar , happy hour 4 til 6 with top notch food
You must also go for a bourbon at the pope house in nob hill
Go on a Sunday's and there is brilliant pub quiz
Loved the modera will return !!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera and for taking the time to review your stay! I’m pleased to hear you had a great experience with us and around Portland. We look forward to having you with us on your next trip to Portland!

503-484-1084

Write a ReviewReviews (2,000)

Reviewed 7 August 2012

A couple of days ago, when we checked out after a very pleasant stay at the Hotel Modera, we forgot to retrieve our passports from our in room safe. We discovered this when we were already on the Max on our way to the airport to catch our flight - you can imagine how that threw us for a loop! Thanks to Brea and the morning staff for helping to get the passports to us quickly and efficiently at the airport, all while empathizing with our predicament. This is the type of service we remember and happily share with our friends!

Room Tip: Consider one overlooking the courtyard and bring your work out gear - they have a great system that...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This has been the second time my husband and I stayed at Hotel Modera in Portland, Oregon and we were so impressed the first time we recommended it to numerous friends and as well my in-laws who stayed during the same time as us in July. We needed a perfect location due to a wedding we were involved with and Hotel Modera was walking distance to where we needed to go so it was a prime location! Just like our first stay in 2011 staying at Hotel Modera was once again a dream! From the moment we drove to the valet we were treated like royalty! The valets were fast and efficient with our vehicle as well luggage, check in was effortless and most importantly the entire staff welcomed us as if we were family! The modern intake with the interior decoration and the overall presentation in whole was refreshing and very relaxing. My husband, being an executive Chef at his restaurant Victorian Cafe in Bend, Oregon, and I very much enjoyed the restaurant Nel Centro inside of Hotel Modera; the execution of the food and taste was overall scrumptious and the wait staff was splendid! The room that my husband and I stayed in was more than comfortable (not to mention the bed allowed us the best sleep we never knew we needed) and even if we needed more creamers for coffee or extra toiletries the staff was very prompt to get what we needed without any hesitation! Staying at Hotel Modera was not just a place to stay for a getaway/vacation; Hotel Modera was an experience of a lifetime. For those who want a fresh intake on décor, spacious yet very comfortable rooms, phenomenal customer service, scrumptious food and a prime location to the heart of Portland, Oregon I than highly recommend Hotel Modera for an Experience of a Lifetime!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your repeat patronage of Hotel Modera! I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and you were treated well by our staff! Customer Service is a top priority and I’m please to know that you welcomed and appreciated our efforts. I am also pleased that you and your husband found Nel Centro to your liking. We too are very pleased with their food and service and are happy to partner with them here at Hotel Modera.

Thanks again for choosing Hotel Modera, and we look forward to having you with us again in the future!

Reviewed 2 August 2012

I stayed in the Hotel Modera for six days and loved every moment of it. The greeting by the friendly staff is the first sign that the visit is going to go well. I immediately got my room keys and was unpacking within 15 minutes of arriving. The room was very modern, clean, BIG window, really comfortable bed, flat screen TV. I found it to be a perfect size. At night the room was quiet and I could open the window instead of using air conditioning - a bonus. It was a really comfortable base from which to explore a great city.

But wait. It gets better! The hotel's restaurant Nel Centro is a super fine Italian dining experience serving up modern and traditional dishes that pleased everyone in my party of four. This is a favorite of locals going to the Schnitzer Concert Hall nearby. And they do a great breakfast too in a beautifully sunlit space.

And to top it all off, the hotel has the best outdoor patio for relaxing and sipping your favorite cocktail or wine before or after dinner. It features a number of fire pits that people gather around on chilly evenings and there are lots of intimate corners to sit an chat.

Overall this is one of the nicest places I have stayed anywhere, let alone Portland. I highly recommend checking it out.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland, and thank you for taking the time to leave an excellent review! I am very pleased to hear that our staff was friendly, you found the guest room to your liking, and Nel Centro enjoyable.

Thanks again for the excellent review! We look forward to having you with us again on your next trip to Portland!

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed our stay very much. Parking (valet only) was very prompt and for $27 a night was a very standard price, have paid much more in many other cities. Yes, our room was a bit small (2 queen beds) but it was well appointed, clean with comfortable beds. Just don't show up with lots of luggage. We really liked the location, for us it was a 5 minute walk to the PSU saturday market, a 5 minute walk down to the Oregon Brewers Festival on the river and surrounded by two types of streetcars which (for free) got you to all locations in the downtown core. This hotel gave us nothing to REALLY complain about. Found the front desk and valet staff to be friendly and informative when asked for tips on good restaurants and directions. Really enjoyed the Pearl District for restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Modera. I note that others have found the rooms to be a little small; those of us from Europe will have few complaints in that regard, although I suppose an armchair would have been a bonus. The room looks smart, it's clean, the bed and pillows are very comfy; I got a tub and an overhead shower; pressure was adequate. Housekeeping was efficient. The bathroom products are good quality. I asked for, and got, a room on the top floor overlooking the lovely outside bar/seating area. It is true that the rooms could be better insulated for sound -- mine (516) backed onto the elevator shaft which I could hear. The reception team could not be faulted; they were amazingly friendly, knowledgable, responsive and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them including lugging some stuff I'd got delivered to the hotel during my stay to my room. They greeted me by name after the first day. I reported a fault with the desk chair, and by the time I revisited my room 15 minutes later, it had been replaced. Wireless reception is good (and free). The outside space is a real winner, so nice in the afternoon (when there are parasols and sails for shade) and at night when the fire pits are pressed into service. It is all extremely stylish and very well located with excellent service and contemporary interiors. I don't think that you can beat this hotel in its price range.

Room Tip: One towards the top of the hotel is probably better than the lower levels.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland, and thank you for taking the time to review your stay! I’m happy that you found your room clean, comfortable, and exceptional. I am also thrilled to hear that our staff was friendly, helpful, and was able to greet you by name. We strive to provide the best service possible!

Thanks again for staying with us! We look forward to having you with us again on your next trip to Portland!

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed at the Modera for three nights. I'll agree with the BerryShari's review, the hotel is chic to the point of non-functional. We needed a room that slept four, so we needed a hotel with two queen beds. Not too many options from what I saw, so based on reviews, I chose the Modera.

The rooms are nice, but they are not functional at all. There is absolutely no place to put your belongings. We had a family of four, two teenagers included. Due to the fact, one of my daughters and I were staying in Oregon longer, we had four suitcases in tow. There is only one small nightstand to put clothes in. There is a small closet, but the door also doubles as the bathroom door (slider), so it wasn't really an option to place clothing. So we had four suitcases stacked up around the room, limiting the size of the already cramped room. There were also only a couple outlets around the room. Bad for trying to keep all our electronics in use or charged up. Room decor was nice, but like I said...it just wasn't functional for more than two people. Beds were very comfortable and we didn't hear any noise.

Gotta love the staff. They're all dressed up in black turtlenecks. Kind of weird, imagine all the women looking like the background girls in the Robert Palmer; "Addicted to Love" video. The guys; Shania Twain's "Man I Feel Like a Woman" video. If that's the look they're going for, then the nailed it. Staff was very helpful though. They arranged for a shuttle for my wife and daughter to get picked up so they could get a ride to airport.

Location was great. Light rail lines were around the hotel, so it was easy to get closer to downtown action, but the walk wasn't too far either. Nice business center so we could print out boarding passes. There were also Apple desktops in the lobby to use if needed. The attached restaurant was fine. Just had drinks and dessert one night. Added costs sucked, valet parking was expensive.

We were in Portland during the great E.Coli breakout of 2012. Staff seemed a little slow getting the word out, that we shouldn't use the water. We stopped by the hotel for a quick break and drop off some items and use the water in the room. The alert/warning was already issued, although we didn't know it. We thought it was weird all the fountains downtown were shut off. No notices around the hotel to avoid using the water in our rooms in the early PM. Later in the afternoon, the notices finally showed up. There were no phone message alerts, just some posts around the hotel. At least they didn't charge us for the water that was in the mini-fridge we were forced to use. If you had your head in the sand for the day, you might not have known there was an issue w/ the city water.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again. If we were with family, we'd probably look elsewhere. Decent stay, just not too functional for the family.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Eric M
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I am pleased to know that you found our location convenient, our staff helpful, and our business center exceptional.
I’m sorry to hear you felt a little cramped in our rooms. We do provide closet and drawer space in all of our guestrooms which adequately accommodates a reasonable amount of luggage for up to two adults and two children. Knowing that your family was made up of two adults and two teenagers with extra luggage, it is likely that reserving only one room in most hotels would not have been sufficient.

It is with regret that the City of Portland experienced some water contamination issues during the time of your visit. I do not want you to think that we leisurely took our time informing our guests of this issue. Notices were given and placed throughout the entire hotel within minutes of us learning about this issue. We take matters concerning our guests’ safety very seriously and as an up-most priority.