“Chic, simple, great in town location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #26 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Chic, simple, great in town location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

Nice hotel located near the centre of Portland. Staff is always freindly, the adjoining restuarant is a perfect fit. The access to the fitness centre down the street is an added bonus. Max 10 minute walk to all the shopping and a wide variety of restarants. The river is also just 5 blocks away and perfect for a 5km run. I'll return when business takes me to Portalnd.

Room Tip: All rooms are about equal as far as I could see. Rooms either look over the courtyard or surrounding...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Korean first
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

I can't really explain it but I just found this hotel really strange. I totally get that it was supposed to be uber-modern, but I mostly found it cold and a little snobbish. We wanted a location near downtown and chose this hotel based on trip advisor reviews, but I found the location a little too far away and the walk back at night a little nerve wracking.

We didn't try Nel Centro, but that's because a cup of coffee was $5, and it goes up from there.

Our room smelled like it had been smoked in, and just didn't feel clean to me. There were bottles of water everywhere, including right next to the bed, for the small fee of $3. Again -- I know hotels try to sell you overpriced items in a minibar, but a bottle of water? I get bottles of water for free from a number of top hotels. At least don't put it right next to my pillow.

I will say that the service at the front desk was excellent. The only hitch with service in general was when we had rented a car for the day to get out to the gorge, and I thought the door guy was going to go apoplectic when we tried to temporarily park it in the front. Then when we asked if we could leave it for 10 minutes while we took our 5 bags of gear to our room so we didn't have to carry it back to the hotel on the MAX after we dropped the car off, that was a major problem. Then they kept trying to valet park the car for us, even though we kept telling them we were returning it that evening. They must have asked at least three times. We had said we were coming right back to remove the car, and we're hotel guests -- BACK OFF.

Unlikely I will return to this one.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MadisonsTravels07
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I am disappointed to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your experience with us. We don’t often hear complaints about our location being inconvenient or unsafe, so your comment about your evening walk back to the Hotel as nerve-wracking concerns me. It also is upsetting that you say that your room had smelled like smoke. We are a 100% non-smoking hotel and do our best to keep the hotel looking and smelling fresh. Had you brought this matter to our attention, we would have been very happy to offer you a different room and address the smoke smell in your original room.

I am also sorry you did not get the opportunity to dine at Nel Centro. We are very pleased to partner with them and find their cuisine not only top-shelf but also affordable. Coffee at Nel Centro is $2.50, or $3.75 for a latte. I am not sure where you heard that their coffee was $5, but you were misinformed.

I’m thrilled you found your front desk service agents helpful and friendly. It is with regret that I see you were upset about our valet-only policy. While we do have an upper lot that is accessible to our guests driving in off the street, it is not for self parking. We often allow guests who are dropping their car off for only a few minutes to leave their vehicle with valet at no charge, but even so, our parking services and facilities are valet only and this information is posted as you pull into the driveway.

Thanks again for choosing Hotel Modera. I am sorry to hear that you might not stay with us again. I would like to encourage you to contact me directly to discuss your recent stay.

Keller, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

we stayed here for four nights in a double queen room (3 ppl total) it was spacious and comfortable. the room was quiet and clean. the bathroom had plenty of counter space for two girls and nice and bright and clean. the bed were also super comfy. the restaurant had a nice happy hour and outdoor seating. the staff were all friendly and helpful. there are public transit stops nearby and to the side of the hotel. you also get free access to the 24 hour fitness a block away which was nice. i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

We have stayed at the Hotel Modera several times and have always been impressed by the high quality service and well-appointed rooms. Its excellent location in Portland is an added benefit of our stays in the city. The hotel's restaurant, Nel Centro, is one of the finer and reasonably priced in our experience. One of the best features of the hotel is their outdoor area which becomes a real gathering place around their firepits - a great place to unwind and have a drink at the end of the day.

Room Tip: The suites are very roomy and offer seperate areas for sleeping and entertaining..
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continued patronage of Hotel Modera, your business is greatly appreciated! Also, thank you for leaving an excellent review! I am very pleased to hear that you were impressed with our service and found your guestroom well appointed. I am also happy to learn that you had an enjoyable dining experience at Nel Centro.

Thanks again! We look forward to having you with us on your next trip to Portland!

Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

Just had a pleasant stay at this property. The staff is superb, very professional, courteous, not the least bit pretentious (which is so often the case in these "hip" boutiques). Other than the very tiny rooms, it is hard to believe this property used to be a "Days Inn". This is the closest I have come to staying in such a property but I think the transformation is nothing short of remarkable. There is a fabulous lobby, high style and wonderful outdoor patio which was ideal for a Friday in August. Our room facing the "garden" was very small but well thought out. Various cool features especially the individual bags of ice down the hall. No gym, but free passes to 24 Hour Fitness and you can always walk around Portland. Speaking of which, this property is a bit of hike to the the true downtown core where most of the hotels are. However, it is more convenient to PSU and the valet is a bit cheaper! A nice boutique experience with small rooms. Great food at the restaurant. One drawback was the soap caused a rather nasty rash for one of us, I am not certain if it is hypoallergenic. The more sensitive travelers might bring their own.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Drewmc50
Campbell, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

Enjoyed the service, room, setting, location. The fan in the room made a bit too much noise in the night and I found the pillows a little too firm but overall the stay was enjoyable and I would recommend this for folks visiting the downtown and PSU. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Galloway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

Hotel Modera was a wonderful experience for us. The staff could not do enough for us from the time of booking to the time of check-out. Their expertise of the area for touring and great places to dine and shop helped make our trip perfect. Lealon, our concierge, gave us great suggestions before we arrived and had maps and brochures of all kinds waiting for us at check-in. Jason and Paige were also so helpful. We loved going to the 24 Hour Fitness Club connected with Hotel Modera and even took a Body Pump class. The housekeeping staff kept our room spotless and well supplied. Get ready Hotel Modera, when we return to Portland!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland! I am very happy to hear that you experienced a knowledgeable and friendly staff while you were a guest with us, and you were able to utilize our relationship with 24 Hour Fitness! Thanks again for staying with us! We look forward to having you with us again on your next trip to Portland!