“We stay at Hotel Modera every time we visit Portland”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #31 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 4 November 2012

The first time we tried Hotel Modera we were pleased. There were some old reviews from before the new management and remodel in 2007 or 2008(?). We took a chance and hit the jackpot.
The hotel is contemporary and fresh. The staff is very helpful.
The restaurant/bar is alright. We enjoyed Happy Hour in the courtyard. The night we had dinner, it was good, but not amazing. Our server was excellent and paired our meal with a nice bottle of wine.
We like that this hotel is located next door to a local coffee business and across the street from the Post Office (for mailing purchases home). It's a bit of a walk to the main nightlife, which we prefer. Sometimes we hoof it to get the exercise, other times we take the MAXX.
We definitely recommend staying at the Hotel Modera.

Room Tip: Don't rent a car in Portland, instead take the MAXX from the airport. Once in the downtown area...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BYDESIGNMaui
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland, and thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m thrilled you found our hotel to your liking and our staff helpful! Come back soon!

503-484-1084

Write a ReviewReviews (2,007)

Reviewed 2 November 2012

I stayed here in early Oct. 2012 and was impressed by the customer service, everyone was so friendly and helpful at the front desk. I found this actually to be true throughout the city, very friendly staff at Starbucks and all of the restaurants I went to. After leaving a pair of pants in my room, I called the hotel and spoke to the housekeeping staff who then mailed them right back to me. My room wasn't enormous, but just the right size for one or two people and it was very clean.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank GreenFrog27
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I thought this hotel was pretty modern for the price. The service was great, as well as the staff, very nice hotel in a great location and comfortable and safe. About 4-5 blocks from the city center of Portland and much better than staying at the name chain four and five star resorts. I would recommend this to anyone traveling to or through Portland.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera, and thank you for taking posting a review! I’m happy to hear our staff was accommodating and that you will be recommending us to other travelers. We look forward to having you with us on your next trip to Portland!

Reviewed 27 October 2012

We stayed at the Modera in September 2012. It was a great little hotel, good location, clean comfortable rooms but the staff was excellent. They were always eager to answer questions, give directions, help book tours, whatever we needed. Our husbands went fishing and came back with salmon. The staff cleaned out the freezer in their staff lounge and let us load the fish in the freezer so that we would be able to get it home frozen!!! It also guaranteed it would be safe in their lounge, and it was. We really appreciated their help. They are an awesome group of young people. We definitely recommend staying here. WK

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Loved this hotel! Would definitely go back and stay there. Close to some great food carts, too! The hotel bar had really nice ambiance, and the fire pit kept everyone nice and cozy in the evening. We even heard that Portlandia was being filmed at the hotel when we were waiting in the lobby!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with Hotel Modera! I’m very pleased to see that you had an exceptional stay with us and we hope to have you back with us again soon!

Reviewed 25 October 2012

This hotel has first and foremost a great location. It's about 5 or so blocks from the heart of downtown, so it's not super noisy during the week nor on the weekends. Definitely a plus for someone traveling on business. Likewise, the rooms are a great place to come back to rest up for another big day. My only reason for not giving it 5 stars was two-fold: the hotel still feels like it's a hotel in a motel's shell and the bathrooms had funky doors that were hard to finagle open and closed. The hotel's main lobby, patio, and outdoor seating area are all beautiful - nicely furnished and well taken care of spaces. However, upon walking in the rooms and looking at the doors and the ceilings, they still look motel-ish. The beds were very comfortable and I didn't spend much time in the rooms, but it was still something I noticed. And the bathroom doors were a strange, sliding mirror, that also doubled as the closet's door. When the bathroom door was closed, the closet was open, and vice versa for the bathroom. Novel idea, save for the fact that the handle to the door was very hard to use, with a strange angle for sliding the door. Still, I had a great stay here and would probably stay here again. Great, friendly, helpful staff and loved the outdoor fire pits at the restaurant!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Thought this would be the perfect place for us but it wasn't.

First, let me commend them for having a complimentary bottle of wine in the room because it was a special birthday trip.

But, for the money spent, the rooms are small. We always request a king or two queen beds when we travel. We had two queens, great, but they left very little floor space and had to turn sideways if we tried to pass each other. We stayed 5 nights. There were only two dresser drawers in a single night stand between the beds for all of our clothes. If you opened the top drawer, it would almost fall out in a rush. If you opened the lower drawer, the top drawer would also open so I was always grabbing one or the other. There was a closet of course, but not enough hangers and one shelf head-high to stack clothes until I couldn't reach them.

Soon after we arrived and logged on the internet - good service - we had to call to have the chair replaced. When you sat in it, it immediately sank and would not hold you up. We can't be the first people to have called on this. I suspect it just gets moved from room to room.

The beds were hard. The pillows were bricks. We actually went to a store and bought pillows after the first night. Then it was easier to accept the hard beds. The A/C fan was so noisy we had to leave the window open for fresh air - which allowed the traffic noises to fill the night. We just dealt with it. I really doubt a different room would have been any better. They all looked the same from what I could see.

When the housekeepers cleaned the rooms, they were very efficient and thorough but the hotel's system of turning a privacy signal on kept us from getting any service for 2 1/2 days. We didn't want them to come in at 8am - we sleep late. If we turned it off at 10am or so and left, we didn't get serviced. Seems like there should be a door hanger that shows the time of the morning you want them to service your room then it would be our responsibility to be out of the room and their responsibility to schedule the cleaning.

The bathroom is also small but has good lighting. Ours had a sink that barely drained. I was going to report it but I realized that if it is ok with all the housekeepers that clean it, it must be ok with the hotel - otherwise, they would have reported it and had it snaked it. Bathtub was fine.

I found it odd that there was no art in the room other than a mirror that was designed in sections and convex pieces so it distorted your image. There was a full mirror on the sliding door of the bathroom which was fine. There is very nice art all down the corridors and in the lobby - I don't see why they won't put some in the rooms.

I found the valet to be the best of the staff. They were always efficient, pleasant, and helpful every time we went in and out which was several times a day. Always ready to give easy directions, open doors, load luggage - exactly what you hope for. The parking charge was too much. We could have used the tram or other metro transportation - which was convenient - but with a $27 a day charge, we decided to use the car.

The desk staff was helpful the first day and after that, someone might have acknowledged us once out of every 5 times we passed. They seemed obsessed with their monitors like they were constantly at crisis level and couldn't even look up. They don't tell you what the hotel has to offer. I don't remember them mentioning an area for snacks, an internet/business area, and maybe other things there that we never found. I guess we were expected to read the manual in the room.

The lobby is pleasant and the restaurant is a definite bonus. Happy Hours seemed always well attended. We went several times and were pleased with the food but I think they need to increase the staffing by at least one server.

I have gone into too much detail but the point is to let others know what to expect and decide what is acceptable to them. They need to give up a hotel room for exercise equipment. Going to the 24 Hour Fitness a block away is ok except when it is rainy, cold, and the wind is blowing - we had all three.

Maybe we expect too much but I don't think so.

Room Tip: Ask specifics of what you expect in your room and in the hotel for your money.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zoiderella
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I am displeased to hear that we did not meet your expectations, and we fell short on a number of occasions. This is not the typical guest experience.

I am pleased you found our valet team helpful and friendly, and that you enjoyed your experience with Nel Centro. I hope you might keep us in mind for the future, to allow us the chance to show you what the Modera experience is really like.