“A little modern oasis in downtown Portland”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #27 of 140 Hotels in Portland
“A little modern oasis in downtown Portland”
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

Great hotel in downtown Portland for exactly the right price. The rooms were upscale and comfortable. The restaurant attached to the hotel lobby was always filled and had a great happy hour. The concierge always pointed us in the right direction, some of the best places to bar hop were a taxi cab away though. They have an agreement with the nearby 24 hour fitness(I think that is what the gym was called)...free access, that more than made up for the fact that they didn't have one of their own. The only negative (and I'm being really nitpicky) is the the bathroom door never closed completely (design issue).

• Stayed August 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I loved my first trip to Portland! The people are helpful, friendly, and cheerful. This was true for the hotel staff too. You can take the light rail directly from the airport to the hotel. (The stop is 2 blocks from the hotel. Go past the hotel, so you are rolling your suitcase downhill.). The boutique hotel is modern and well kept. There is a security feature to access the elevators, 24 hr staff, and valet parking. The location is ideal. You are walking distance to museums, shopping, the Pearl District, etc., or you can just hop on and off the light rail. There is a Safeway just four blocks up from the hotel to pick up those forgotten items.
The reason they didn't get a 5 is noise. You can hear the light rail, the diners sitting on the patio, the music from the restaurant, and other hotel guests' doors closing. It wasn't a big deal for me since I live in a major city with neighbors who slam doors. It is nice to have a heads up though if you are super sensitive.

Room Tip: Stay on the 5th St. side if you don't want to hear the diners. Their ice is prepackaged, so you...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank traderjoe
Hotel_Modera_GM, Front Office Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your first trip to Portland! I’m pleased you found our staff (and Portlanders in general) to be helpful and friendly. It’s also with pleasure to hear you found the Hotel modern, secure, and our location convenient. Come back soon!

Albuquerque
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I stayed 2 nights at Hotel Modera in March 2013. The room was squeaky clean, bed comfortable, and most importantly it was quiet. I was suprised by this because although my room faced a street (where I could see many cars), I could not hear any cars/busses/etc. Even more than that- I never heard another person's room door slam shut or open. I never thought about it until I realized I hadn't heard it. I just expect to hear it when I stay at a hotel.

I think I was most impressed by the hotel staff. I was visiting for an interview and found them to be very helpful in directing me to the trolley, metro, or bus that I needed. One of the staff even walked me outside and up the block to point to the station I needed to go to. With that said- it is easy to get around the city.

When I come back to Portland I will definitely stay here.

Danville, California
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Modera for five weeks while on business, during which time I stayed in four different rooms. Each room was wonderful and everything in each of the rooms worked: TV, complimentary high-speed internet, shower pressure, coffee maker, etc. An extra bonus was the free day passes to 24-Hour Fitness, which is only one block away. Each of the staff members with whom I came in contact were outstanding: smart, well-spoken and extremely attentive. The housekeeping staff was especially great: in addition to doing a wonderful job on the guest rooms, they were always tidying up the beautifully appointed lobby. Their restaurant, Nel Centro, is terrific (try the happy hour at the fire pits). I will definitely stay here again should my travels take me to Portland.

Room Tip: They have some king city-view rooms that are a little larger than the standard room, which were very...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera for your recent business trips to Portland. I’m pleased to hear you found your stays to be comfortable, and our staff to be friendly and helpful. We look forward to having you with us when business brings you to Portland again.

Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed here for work. It was one of the few "themed" hotels that fit within the government rate so I was very excited.

The service was great. Check-in was easy, valet was great, everyone was very professional.

I really appreciated the free Wi-Fi, as a business traveler this is a must. I sat at the bar during happy hour, enjoyed a cocktail and some pomme frites (French fries) and checked my email. Can't beat that.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I liked the modern feel they were going for. I really liked the faux-fur bed cover/blanket on the bed... it is just something different that stood out.

The next morning, my bill was correct (you wouldn't believe how amazing that is when your company is paying for the room with one credit card and you are paying for the incidentals with another credit card)! And when I called down for my car, I didn't have to say my name or give them a description of my car or anything... I just picked up the phone, dialed the front desk, said "I need my car brought up" and they replied "Yes, Ms. Marshall, we will have that right away." It was great! I love when people devote time to training their staff to be professional and polite. I have stayed in 6 hotels in the past 8 weeks and this hotel by far is the best one!

I will make this my go-to hotel to stay in whenever my business takes me to Portland!

San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I stayed here for a weekend in March and received excellent service and thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. My flight arrived early so I was in Portland around 10:30am but check-in wasn't until 3:00. Within 20 minutes of showing up, Brennan at the front desk ensured that I got a room. The room was clean and the beds were super comfortable. The art and ihome were nice touches that added to the room. The staff always provided great recommendations of places to go and things to see and the restaurant's happy hour was both a great value and great tasting. Thanks Hotel Modera.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Hotel Modera. I’m pleased to hear you were able to receive an early check in, your guestroom was clean and comfortable, and that our staff was helpful. Brennon is a great team member, and we are lucky to have him. Thank you for naming him specifically as we love to know when a staff member has made a memorable impression. We look forward to having you with us on your next trip to Portland.

Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Hotel Modera in July 2012. We were there for him to attend a conference, but decided to come in early and check out the city. Hotel Modera is in a great location to check out anything west of the river. The rooms are spacious, the beds are comfortable and the staff is friendly and attentive. You don't need a car to get around because public transportation is awesome in Portland!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple