“Modern Modera!”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #28 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Had to go on a very quick business trip to the PDX and Hotel Modera was highly recommended as it was just two-blocks away from the office my colleague and I were visiting. Upon arrival at the hotel, the doorman opened the taxi door and offered to take in our luggage, which was nice. First glance of the lobby was very modern and had a nice, warm vibe to it. Checking in was quick and very friendly. Jorry took great care of us and thoroughly explained all the features of the hotel, along with the complimentary access to the 24-Hour Fitness a block over.

Once I got to my room, again, it had that modern and warm feel that I got from the lobby. The room was a little small, compared to what I'm used to but, it was just myself so, it was still comfortable. The bed was very comfortable and had a nice faux fur throw on it, not sure how often it gets clean, so I just enjoyed the plush feel of it for a few seconds then pushed it to the side. The bathroom was a good size and the bath amenities smelled amazing! I didn't realize there was a full length mirror on the bathroom side of the door until I checked out; there's no need to close the bathroom door if you're all alone, right? The room overlooked their courtyard, which I can assume can get loud as there's lots of seating and firepits but, there was no one out there the night I stayed.

My colleague and I had lunch at the restaurant downstairs, Nel Centro. Their menu was far from abundant, but sounded quite amazing. Their Autumn Squash soup was delicious! For my entree I had their Rotisserie Chicken sandwich, which was a little dry, but not bad. The fries that accompanied it were nicely seasoned and enjoyed it. Our server was okay, seemed a tad spaced out, but friendly nonetheless. I ordered room service later on in the evening and my order came up quick. Pizza was recommended and I can say, yes, pizza is the way to go! Note: Gratuity is already included, and the room service server will tell you no additional gratuity is necessary. That just made me want to add a few dollars for being upfront!

We had asked to schedule a taxi for a 5am run to PDX and the front desk agent had suggested a sedan, for $40, which was decided to take, as our taxi from PDX cost about $50.

Check out was a breeze, friendly and our sedan was outside waiting!

If you've read my reviews, you'll see I'm a Hilton snob but I'll tell you, this has opened my eyes towards the boutique hotel experience. If I ever have to make it back to the PDX, I'll definitely consider Hotel Modera!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank norcalnick

Reviewed 10 December 2013

We chose the Hotel Modera for two reasons--we were attending an event at the Keller Auditorium which was two blocks away, and compared to other downtown hotels, the rate was reasonable. The only downside (and this is common with any downtown hotel) was the valet parking rate of $30/night, but turned out we got a $5 discount and the parking was efficient. We also liked that it wasn't a high-rise as we prefer motor inns, which this used to be (Days Inn).

When making the reservation I was told we would be upgraded to a courtyard view but turned out we were assigned a "city view" which meant we overlooked a busy street. But because they were so nice and accommodating when we checked in at 11:30 a.m., we didn't ask to change rooms.Turned out the street quieted down and we had no problem with traffic noise.

Even though it was small we found the room very comfortable and I loved the bed. The combo of sliding closet/bathroom door was odd but it seemed to work (when the door was closed the closet was open and when the bathroom was open the closet was closed). We did miss a seating area by the window as we enjoy sitting and looking outside. The in-room wifi was fast and free, the TV worked well (enjoyed a Sunday night football game), and the shower was good with plenty of fluffy towels.

There are good restaurants in the area and we ended up at the Harborside McCormick & Schmick's, easily within walking distance, and there is also a Morton's close by. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant (but will as the food looked quite good) but enjoyed an after-dinner drink and loved sitting by the fire pit in the courtyard even though the evening was chilly.

All in all we enjoyed the place and found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. If you want to do more downtown and don't want to ride MAX or the streetcar, a hotel closer to the action might be preferable but the rate is going to be more and many don't provide free in-room wifi. We plan on staying again in early January for another Keller event.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor (4th or 5th level) & courtyard if more expensive but could be a little quieter...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Across the street from the office made it convenient. nel centro restaurant/bar onsite was very good. Wish they had coffee in the lobby before 6:30am but I am an early riser. Valet's were very attentive and good with directions. I don't know about the thin walls others wrote about as I didn't hear any of the neighbors. There were no issues with my room. Very clean and modern. Daily paper delivered to room. Nice firepits outside in the courtyard. Overall a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Get on on the 5th floor overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The location of this hotel was awesome, right near one of the "food truck rows" that PDX has become famous for. Also very close to the art museum and other downtown attractions. I got a great deal and the late night menu with outdoor fireplace was particularly enjoyable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2013

LOVED the lobby, the restaurant and the courtyard. Did not like the paper thin walls, hearing others conversations and their trips to the bathroom. Also, because I like my own bathroom privacy, I didn't like the pocket door with the big gap underneath or the lack of a fan.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Erin K,

Thank you for your recent patronage of Hotel Modera. I am very happy to hear you appreciated the lobby décor, the restaurant, and the courtyard, but am disappointed to hear that you experienced some issues with noise from adjacent guests. We normally are very happy to assist with room moves when requested, and we also offer ear plugs for guests that might be extra sensitive to noise. Please feel encouraged to make a request for a room in more quiet areas of the hotel at any time before or during your stay. We would be very happy to accommodate you whenever we can.

Best Regards,

Andrew Maffei
503-484-1070
amaffei@hotelmodera.com

Reviewed 23 November 2013

When I go to a nice hotel, I expect a few essentials. But places is lacking.
1. I expect to have a full body mirror in the room for getting ready.
2. I expect a shower/tub wide enough for me to stand in.
3. I expect an easily accessible power outlet next to my bed for charging my phone.
4. I expect an air conditioner that is quiet enough for me to sleep and that doesn't incessantly turn on and off.
5. I expect a nice gym within the premises without me having to walk in the freezing cold 6AM in the morning when I do my daily exercise.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jason C
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Although location is a good walk to most shopping and restaurants, it is do able. Otherwise, close enough to take the light rail to most places a few minutes away. I like that they didn't have noisy ice machines. Instead, they had on each floor a nice built-in freezer cabinet where all the bagged iced were stored. The front desk were very helpful in suggesting places to eat. I highly recommend within walking distance the VQ for brunch. Overall, very satisfied and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple