“Portland 12/2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #26 of 139 Hotels in Portland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Korean first
Yachats, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Based on reviews, we decided to give this hotel a try. It is well located, very near the South Park blocks, Portland State University. But the rooms are small, there is no seating other than the desk chair, no drawers to unpack except the bedside tables and it lacks any internal insulation. We could hear our neighbor's conversations, their phone ring, door slam and shower. The staff are friendly and helpful but there are other hotels in the same price point that are much quieter and more spacious.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank yachats70
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in Portland many times and we do not have a preference to any one hotel while in Portland. We thought just before meeting our family for Christmas we would try this hotel.

We had just flown from overseas and jet lag had set in.

Check in was as you would expect from any hotel friendly, and fast. Our arrival time was about 7:30 pm so dinner and sleep were in order.

After dinner finally got to bed.

Ok here's were it all went down hill.

At 01:00am the hotel insisted it was a great time to high pressure wash the roof. Our room was on the 5 floor room 28. So between the guys lugging all the equipment onto the roof shouting about there weekend the real noise began. The motor that provided the pressure could be heard in Washington. For 1 hour 30mins. Surely this could be done during the day.
This along with the outside noise of all the trams, buses and other street noises. This hotel is extremely noisy.
Now before you go offering me cheap ear plugs. Perhaps invest in sound proofing the windows.

The night before was in a airport hotel right at the airport. NOT a sound.

I did report this the the front desk, they said sorry but they didn't think it would effect any guests. Really.

There are many reviews about the room noise of this hotel. Perhaps you should read them and do something about that. Ear plugs are not the answer. I don't expect to pay over $200 per night to be given ear plugs.

Thank you for the complimentary breakfast it was a small gesture for the horrible nights sleep.

The reviews about the room noise are very true.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelin45
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

We were in town for a conference (WDS) and stayed several nights at the Modera. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The hotel itself was modern and of a good standard. Nothing super special but very decent. We'd be happy to stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is an smaller updated hotel in an older building that is easy walking distance to all downtown locations and the riverfront. If you are bit more ambitious you can also walk to the trendy Boutique and Restaurant areas near 23rd avenue.
The hotel itself has a modern lobby with a restaurant/pub Nel Centro which is recommended by locals especially for the pizza. Service was efficient and enthusiastic. The atmosphere is pretty laid back and comfortable. The parking fee is fair for a downtown hotel and the the parking valets are very helpful in any event.
The rooms are a typical size for a downtown hotel , the room looked new with comfortable beds,and a bright bathroom all with modern fixtures. The WIFI was fast and easy to access.
I did hear some conversation from other rooms late at night but have to emphasize that the level of noise was muted and was not a concern for me and there was no noise at all from the heating/ac system.
Overall this is an excellent hotel relative to the room rate. It is modern and somewhat trendy without being cold and pretentious.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I stayed at the Modera on a two night business trip and really enjoyed all aspects of my stay.The room was spacious and comfortable and the wi-fi fast! I ate in the restaurant which was also very good and the breakfast offering is excellent. I especially liked the outside area with the "log-pits" and the decor of the reception area/lounge.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ajf50
San Ramon, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Had to go on a very quick business trip to the PDX and Hotel Modera was highly recommended as it was just two-blocks away from the office my colleague and I were visiting. Upon arrival at the hotel, the doorman opened the taxi door and offered to take in our luggage, which was nice. First glance of the lobby was very modern and had a nice, warm vibe to it. Checking in was quick and very friendly. Jorry took great care of us and thoroughly explained all the features of the hotel, along with the complimentary access to the 24-Hour Fitness a block over.

Once I got to my room, again, it had that modern and warm feel that I got from the lobby. The room was a little small, compared to what I'm used to but, it was just myself so, it was still comfortable. The bed was very comfortable and had a nice faux fur throw on it, not sure how often it gets clean, so I just enjoyed the plush feel of it for a few seconds then pushed it to the side. The bathroom was a good size and the bath amenities smelled amazing! I didn't realize there was a full length mirror on the bathroom side of the door until I checked out; there's no need to close the bathroom door if you're all alone, right? The room overlooked their courtyard, which I can assume can get loud as there's lots of seating and firepits but, there was no one out there the night I stayed.

My colleague and I had lunch at the restaurant downstairs, Nel Centro. Their menu was far from abundant, but sounded quite amazing. Their Autumn Squash soup was delicious! For my entree I had their Rotisserie Chicken sandwich, which was a little dry, but not bad. The fries that accompanied it were nicely seasoned and enjoyed it. Our server was okay, seemed a tad spaced out, but friendly nonetheless. I ordered room service later on in the evening and my order came up quick. Pizza was recommended and I can say, yes, pizza is the way to go! Note: Gratuity is already included, and the room service server will tell you no additional gratuity is necessary. That just made me want to add a few dollars for being upfront!

We had asked to schedule a taxi for a 5am run to PDX and the front desk agent had suggested a sedan, for $40, which was decided to take, as our taxi from PDX cost about $50.

Check out was a breeze, friendly and our sedan was outside waiting!

If you've read my reviews, you'll see I'm a Hilton snob but I'll tell you, this has opened my eyes towards the boutique hotel experience. If I ever have to make it back to the PDX, I'll definitely consider Hotel Modera!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business