“Well run property, in a great location but beware of pricey parking fee!”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Well run property, in a great location but beware of pricey parking fee!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Very clean, stylish hotel with friendly efficient staff in very good downtown location within walking distance to several museums & unique cafes, coffee houses and the river walk. Room very clean and comfortable, but located above garbage collection area which was often noisy in the morning. Bathroom has sliding door which does not entirely close leaving a 1 inch gap...more privacy would be nice! Great restaurant & cocktail bar on site with cool patio to enjoy happy hour. All staff members we encountered were very friendly & helpful. My only real complaint is the rip off $30 per night fee to park car on site; that along with various other fees & taxes brought nightly rate to over $200 per night...I do not believe this property is worth that amount especially in light of fact I have stayed in Comfort Inns with rooms just as nice at half the rate.

Room Tip: East facing rooms are noisy
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BCBesanc
alemodera, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
BCBesanc,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I am very happy to hear you found our staff friendly and helpful, your room clean and comfortable, the bar and restaurant to your liking and the location convenient. I’m sorry to hear that you didn't discover our $1 parking promotion before you reserved your stay! Offered only to the TripAdvisor community, our Park for $1 offer is the best parking rate in all of Downtown Portland!

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Portland!

Regards,
amaffei@hotelmodera.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I was in Portland for less than 24 hours. Desk staff were great. After a long working day and evening, I arrived in my room and attempted to sleep only to find that the noise from the lift made it impossible. (Room 534 I think.) I was moved to another room - not good to have to pack everything up at 11pm and move when you have to be up early for a flight - only to discover that the pillows smelled as though they had not been changed. Somebody brought fresh pillows but still, a horrible experience, like a tramp had been in the bed before me. Too tired to make a fuss about it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
TheForlornHope,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that you had a pleasant interaction with our Front Desk staff. I am also happy to hear that they were able to offer an alternative when you were dissatisfied with your original room. Had we been given the opportunity, we would have been very happy to offer additional resources to ensure that your second room was to the level of satisfaction you require. I am surprised to hear about the issues you mention in the second room offered, as cleanliness of the rooms and guest comfort are two of our utmost priorities.

Please feel encouraged to contact me directly to discuss your recent stay.

Best Regards,
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

This is such a great hotel. It's not too big or too small. The lobby and rooms are beautifully designed and furnished. We got perfect restaurant recommendations from the concierge (Jonny) and the bar downstairs has some delicious cocktails and very thin crispy french fries for those nights you don't feel like going out. Helpful advice: Park your car in the $4 a day parking lot on Clay St behind the 5th avenue building; the hotel charges $30 a day to park.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Eureka, California
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I had 30$ worth of medication stolen out of my car the first night I was parked by the valet. I had literally just purchased it and knew exactly where it was placed in my car (passenger seat underneath swag/flyers from tradeshow).

Why didn't I bother mentioning it, after discovering the theft the next morning immediately after getting my car for the day? Seemed like more of a hassle for me honestly and didn't really need any cool mods done to my car or have it thrown into park as a means to come to a complete stop etc.

Otherwise nice stay, staff interactions were friendly. However next month when I come back for work I will stay somewhere else, plenty of other options.

Anyhow management one of your valets working April 3 @ 6pm is a petty thief.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BaneDamage
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Anonymous TripAdvisor Member,

We were glad that you experienced friendly staff interactions during your stay at Hotel Modera. Please know we take all reports of this nature seriously as guest security is our number one priority. I feel that we missed an opportunity to be of service had you brought these concerns to our attention.

I find it odd that you state your staff interactions were friendly but when you had reason to believe something was missing from your vehicle you did not wish to bring it to the attention of our management staff. I assure you our managers are as friendly, if not friendlier, than the hourly staff members (someone had to train the team). You go on to state that mentioning your loss would have been a hassle and that you were afraid of potential staff reprisal to your vehicle (an accusation our acknowledged friendly staff would never do). Yet you found the hassle of slandering my staff publicly on TripAdvisor was easier than seeking assistance?

Anonymous TripAdvisor Member; when you find the medication in question under the seat of your car, as I am sure you will, I hope you have the decency to apologize as publicly as you have chosen to slander the Hotel Modera team. If you read the 1,000+ other reviews on TripAdvisor I feel you will get a better sense of the Hotel Modera team and our appreciation for our guests.

Regards,
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Had a great 3 night stay at the Hotel Modera. Ellegantly designed rooms with a fantastic bed, super nice breakfast and lunch as well as a nice outdoor bar scene for Friday and Saturday evening's. Very friendly and service-minded staff mad the stay absolutely perfect.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The rooms are a little on the small side, but nicely appointed. They have a great deal with 24-hour fitness just a block away. So while it's not as convenient as on-site, it is a full-service gym with lots of folks around you to keep you motivated. Front desk folks were always super helpful and friendly. Valet was totally on top of his game. And the courtyard lounge was a very nice amenity that made for a relaxing drink at the end of a day of sight-seeing.

Room Tip: The rooms are a little on the small side, but nicely appointed.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The rooms are somewhat small, but quite tastefully decorated both in terms of the color scheme and the art that is on the walls. The only downside to the rooms for us was the shortage of electrical outlets for re-charging our phones and computers. As others have mentioned, the staff is quite friendly and helpful. It is very conveniently located in downtown Portland and the price was quite reasonable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple