“Fantastic hotel in downtown pdx.”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #28 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a really great hotel and I enjoyed my stay there a couple weeks ago. The staff were typical super nice Pacific Northwest types. Had dinner at the hotel the first night and the food was great , although the service was a little inconsistent.

The only small issue I had was that the parking was quite expensive at $30 per night...which I think was more than I was paying for my rental car per day which doesn't sound right. Anyway, this hotel was really close to a full 5 circles , just missing out by the smallest margin.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Modera

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hotel Modera is well situated between the MAX light rail and the street car system in Portland. It was also easy to walk to the water. There were several restaurants close to the property and you are right across the street from a small food truck park (they had limited availability on the weekend).

The rooms are on the smaller side but nicely decorated with a modern feel - similar to a 'W' or 'Aloft' brand hotel. The room had a door bell/light system that was probably my favorite thing about the room. You just pushed a button to indicate you wanted privacy and this worked extremely well - we never had a knock on the door announcing "housekeeping". When you are ready there is a light to indicate you are ready for the room to be cleaned.

The towels were white, fluffy, and plentiful. The bathroom mirror had a heated or treated center section that never fogged up, it was really cool. The bathroom bath gel, shampoo, and conditioner were nice smelling and seemed quite fancy but were held in the large multi-use containers in the shower. I understand this is better for the environment and more economical but it always seems a bit "cheap" to me. There was a coffee maker in the room but this was kept in the bathroom for storage. The other down side to the bathroom was the door. Instead of a traditional door, there was a sliding door that just didn't quite close all the way.

Instead of an ice machine there are large coolers off the elevator that hold bags of ice for guests. This means if your room is close to the elevator and ice cooler you won't hear people getting ice all night. Our room was very close to both the elevator and the ice cooler and we never heard any noises from the hall. It was very quiet.

The property has a restaurant with a large outdoor lounge. At night they have three huge fire pits that allow 10-12 people to sit around the fire and enjoy a drink or meal or both. The fire pits were a really nice way to end the evening.

We had a city view and our window just looked out to some office buildings. The street we faced was quiet, we had no problems with noise. The garden view rooms overlook the outdoor patio. I think there could be some issues with noise as the rooms on the lower level are so close to the open patio with people talking and drinking.

The front desk staff was friendly and made us feel welcome. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I loved the modern vibe of the hotel. I stayed for two nights. A warm welcome from the moment I stepped out of the taxi. Nice and helpful front desk staff. Room was a little small but very clean and comfortable and nicely appointed. Nice touch - right off the elevator you could pick up an ice bucket with pre-bagged ice. No walking down the hall looking for the elusive ice machine. Overall a wonderful stay. I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This review is long overdue. My husband chooses this hotel for his Portland business trips, and he is always pleased. I joined him for a weekend back in February, and I can't say enough good things about Hotel Modera and its staff. The hotel is modern and hip - but not overly so. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and well-appointed. The location is great - we walked all over the city. Hotel Modera's concierge, Jonny, really made our trip special. I am a private concierge, and my bar for great service is pretty high. Jonny understood that we are the kind of travelers who wanted to experience the authentic Portland. His recommendations for places to eat and drink were perfect. He set us up with some amazing tastings in Willamette Valley for our day trip. He and the rest of the staff were incredibly helpful and fun-loving. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation. I look forward to staying here again during my next trip!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

tlctpfd,
Thank you for your review and thank your husband for making the Hotel Modera his home away from home. I share your sentiments, we consider Jonny as essential to our operation as clean sheets and hot water. We look forward to your return and I hope you will reach out to Jonny before your next visit at theconcierge@hotelmodera.com so he can tailor make your next trip and showcase more of what makes Portland so wonderful.

Andrew Maffei
amaffei@hotelmodera.com

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Loved the modern lobby and room. I guess it's been updated? Heard it used to be a Best Western or something like that. Breakfast was good in the hotel restaurant. Happy hour was popular and crowded but I never got there. Heard pizza/flatbreads looked good. Front desk people very nice and helpful. Overall a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thanks KoKonutGirl,
Glad you enjoyed your two night stay, and appreciated our central location. To your comments our hotel has been updated and we are continuously updating our building to improve the guest experience. Next time you will have to try the pizzas in our restaurant, they are delicious. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Andrew Maffei
503.484.1070
amaffei@hotelmodera.com

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Our visit to Portland was made even better by our stay at Hotel Modera. The staff were exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable about their city (the concierge was particularly helpful, offering personalized restaurant and bar suggestions). Our room was clean and comfortable with a lovely view of the city. Although our toilet was leaking slightly when we arrived, the staff were very attentive and the problem was fixed quickly. The hotel has an elegant bar/restaurant and is right along the streetcar line, which we found very convenient.
We would definitely return!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The Skinny:

Parking: valet $30
Decor: uber modern
Service: friendly
Bed: very comfy
Bath Products: Tarocco
Linens: sheets scratchy, towels soft

We stayed here for 3 nights and loved the modern feel.
The valet never took long to get our car out and the staff was always friendly, saying hello every time you walk by. There is a restaurant connected to the hotel but we never ate there and they have a small snack room where you can purchase sundries etc. If you like walking this location is perfect to get to the waterfront and old town and the Pearl District.

The room is not huge but the bed is very comfy. You can not hear your neighbors but you can hear loud people in the hall and you can hear the crowd at the restaurant til closing. It didn't bother me but I'm a heavy sleeper.

I love the colors of the room and the faux fur bed blanket. Housekeeping was a little strange, they threw away my matches, took a bath product out of my Dopp kit and put it back on the counter and on our last day zipped the kit closed when I had left it partially zipped. Very strange.

All in all a nice hotel, would totally stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple