“Going downhill.”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #31 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Hotel Modera used to be my favorite hotel. As a road warrior, I stay in a lot of places, and I always look forward to staying here.

Several of the positives from my previous review stand. Rooms are small but nicely appointed. Service at the front desk varies widely depending on who you get. Door staff are great. Restaurant is still delicious - glad to still see Nat at the bar. Housekeeping is abysmal.

The fuse in my room blew the first morning when I was drying my hair. I had to call down and wait 10-15 minutes for it to be reset. Obviously you can't run the AC and a hairdryer at the same time without blowing a fuse. (!!) Speaking of the AC, the rooms here are always HOT - they really need to modernize the heating/cooling system. Asking guests to open their windows and listen to the buses drive by all night and have the street lights stream in because you can't cool your rooms is not a solution.

Housekeeping. They never emptied the trash in my room over a three day period. Two days I didn't have a full set of towels. Not really sure what's going on here, but it's not to the level of service that this hotel should demand, and customers expect.

Will I stay here again? Maybe. That's a far cry from being one of my favorite hotels in the country.

1  Thank hginphl
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

hginphl,

I was disappointed to receive your comment because there were so many nice things you were able to say about the hotel previously. I will offer no excuses we quite simply dropped the ball during your most recent stay, and did not give you the service and attention to detail that you have grown accustomed to and our staff customarily provides. I do appreciate you applauding the valet team, and mentioning the on-site restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and providing you with the Hotel Modera experience you cherish so much.

amaffei@hotelmodera.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,000)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel Modera has gone from being one of my top favorite places to stay in Portland to one I will never stay at again, very disappointing as I had a number of great stays here since it opened but never again.
The room was fine upon check in, great staff as usual but that's when things went downhill. I returned late in the evening to find my room at a very hot 82 F, this was early June so didn't make sense that hot air was blowing into my room. I made a call to the front desk but was told this is way the system works, when the air outside cools to a lower point the air conditioner in the building turns off. I asked for a solution as I told them there was no way I would sleep in a room that hot but was told there were no other rooms and all they could offer was a small fan and told to open my window. I asked to talk with a manager but since it was midnight they said there was no one available I could talk to about this. I then spent the next hour finding another hotel, packing my bags and leaving.
The next day the front desk manager would only repeat over and over that sometimes things don’t meet guest expectations and apologized , basically denying there was any issue, quite amazing for a hotel room that was prices at close to $300 per night with tax.
I could never consider staying in a place that cant guarantee the basic comfort of a reasonable temperature.

5  Thank DEL D
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Del D,
We appreciate your response, it is only through honest feedback from our guests that we can encourage practices that are having a positiive impact and rethink or retool practices that fall short of guest expectations. It does sound like your stay fell short of not only your expectations but ours as well. Del D, we hope to welcome you back soon as a guest who has had a number of great stays we are confident you will give us another chance to offer the quality stay you are accustomed to and I know our team can deliver. As the majority of TripAdvisor posts attest your most recent experience was not typical for a guest at Hotel Modera.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed at the Modera in early May and was overly pleased with every aspect and detail of the hotel. The staff was very courteous and attentive. I was greeted every time I walked through the lobby by the front desk staff and any employee that I came in contact with. To me, this is a very important gesture to have encountered. One that is not always presented to guests in other hotels I have stayed at. The Hotel Modera represented proudly the city of Portland! The hotel is beautifully designed and exceptionally clean. The wooden walkway outside is such a nice touch. Its location is ideal and the surrounding area is quiet and near to all the sights of the city. I'm so glad I chose to stay there!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Nicholas R
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Nicholas R,

We are so glad you chose to stay with us too! I am so pleased that we were able to get such high praise, and we think that it is the accumulation of the little things done well that separate us from some of our local competition. Our employees love the city they live in and we look forward to sharing this with each guest they come into contact with. Nicholas R, we hope to welcome you back soon and encourage you to visit our website and join our mailing list so that you are privy to exclusive offers and promotions as they become available.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We (My husband, 3 yr old & I) recently stayed multiple nights at Hotel Modera because both my son & I had surgeries at OHSU. The concierge was beyond helpful & polite. Always checking to make sure we knew where we were going & double checking we found everything we needed upon return. As far as pricing - Parking: is expensive at all hotels in the area. Room: Bed was extremely comfy & the front desk was very helpful in transitioning us into a (2) queen bed room after my surgery in order to prevent my son from accidentally hurting me. Restaurant: Is managed separately from the hotel but provides room service to guests. It was apparent it was a well liked restaurant but I personally didn't care for it much because they weren't very helpful in locating Gluten Free options (I have Celiacs). Regardless, we were within walking distance of some good eating ~ including the Melting Pot ~ YUMMM! Overall, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

hzong,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we love to hear examples of our staff actively looking after our guests’ welfare. Glad your family had an enjoyable visit and that we could play a part. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town and making that stay as memorable as this one was.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Hotel Modera is everything we wanted in a hotel. It was within walking distance to everything we wanted to see and do in downtown Portland. The rooms were beautiful and very comfortable. The food at Nel Centro restaurant was excellent and the courtyard lounge was full everyday especially at Happy Hour. Parking is right outside of the front door so no long walks if it happens to be raining. The staff were really friendly never missing an opportunity to wish you "Good morning" or "Have a nice day" as you passed by the front desk or when the Valets were there to open the doors for you. We will definitely tell our friends about our great stay at Hotel Modera. Great value.

Ron S.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in this hotel. Our room overlooked the street but we didn'...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here to attend a conference at Portland State. The price was great as compared to the other hotels in the area, and the hotel was well worth the value. The decor was clean and hip and modern. The staff was extra friendly. The rooms were a bit small but were clean and comfortable. The location was very convenient to PSU and to public transportation. It was in a good area of town. The bar in the hotel was fabulous - fire pits galore, lots of seating, good food and beverages. I loved everything about this hotel. This was my first trip to Portland, and I LOVED the city. I plan on returning for vacation and bringing my husband, and will gladly stay at the Modera again! Thank you, Modera!

Woodstock 41,

We will gladly make that reservation for you! So nice to hear about your most recent stay with us and so pleased you fell in love with Portland. Please let us know when you will be returning for vacation with your husband by contacting us at theconcierge@hotelmodera.com so that our concierge can help plan your trip be it; dining recommendations, entertainment suggestions, or preparing an itinerary for your entire stay. Also, a tip for your next booking, if you plan on driving click the Special Offer link on TripAdvisor’s website and you will get $1 parking during your stay. It’s the cheapest parking in all of downtown Portland. Thank you for taking the time to post a review and we will see you soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was a great place to stay in the downtown area during the cities Rose Festival. It was within walking distance to the water front where the events were held. There are also many good resturants inthe local area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo