“Not Portland's Best”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #31 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We visit Portland often and decided to try the Modera, having previously enjoyed an excellent meal in its restaurant (called Nel Centro). The hotel is well located near PSU and the South Park Blocks, and our suite was spacious and clean.

However, this place has serious problems with its heating and air-conditioning system. The bellman warned us that at night we would be better off opening the windows and relying on the natural breezes, since the central air system would no longer be putting out cool air. (Evidently, it senses the outside temperature and switches from cooling to heating, even though the former is still needed to keep the interior comfortable.)

Opening the windows was an imperfect solution. The hotel is situated between the city's two primary transit streets, so we got noise from buses and light rail cars throughout the night.

Otherwise, the hotel was mostly okay. The staff was friendly and efficient, and the room was cleaned properly. There were a few minor maintenance issues: the sliding door to the bathroom was too heavy to open and close easily, and the telephone message system didn't seem to work properly. These items, however, are easily fixable. The deal-breaker for us was, as mentioned, the inadequate heating and air conditioning system.

Room Tip: Probably the quietest rooms are those facing the interior "garden wall."
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank widelenser
Write a ReviewReviews (2,013)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I spent two nights and can't wait to return. I found Hotel Modera to be a nicely remodeled hotel (last known as a Days Inn). My room was a comfortable and clean 2 Queen bedroom. The Valet parking was attentive and friendly. Vince (front desk) was professional and very friendly also. The location is perfect as there are alternative transportation services readily available.

Kudos for: The 'ice in a bag' idea, no noisy dispenser! The free and effortless wifi, beautiful entry, furnishings, art, and the 24 hour fitness pass.

Suggestions: Locate outlets where they are easy to see and access (on the wall above the nightstand). I ended up leaving my phone charger behind because it fell out of sight. Also, I hung the door hanger to indicate I did not require fresh linens or towels, an 'Eco friendly' alternative which would also save me money upon check out. I noticed after checkout that the reduction was not reflected on my bill. It would be helpful if the front desk knew when a guest used the Eco Service and deducted it from the bill at checkout (I forgot to mention it).

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I would love to return for another stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Great place for me and my "girl" friends to have a reunion of shopping, eating, and sightseeing. Entire staff is very welcoming and well-trained. Located very close to Portland's excellent light rail system, but we were able to walk just about everywhere within this well-laid-out city.
I will definitely stay here again the next time I visit lovely Portland.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Nicely designed, great location, well appointed, clean and tidy, very friendly and personable staff at the front counter/valet, the restaurant downstairs (Nel Centro ) didn't dine there but did cocktails and the food looked great, bathrooms clean and well stocked (orange scented body wash!)....but. The noise from other rooms was too much. And it didn't seem like people were yelling but you could hear conversations as though someone was mumbling behind your back. And the room on the other side of us the couple were...um, physically expressing their love for each other (with props to the man for his remarkable endurance that kept her making noise as my wife and I awkwardly avoided eye contact with our teen daughter).

The staff was polite and professional in handling our complaint. But at that point the damage is sort of done. There is little they can do about too thin walls (or perhaps more accurately walls that seem to transfer sound too efficiently).

All the positives aside, probably won't return. At this price point I expect my room to be insulated from casual noise more effectively than this.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bryan K
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Bryan K,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we love to hear that our guests find our facility “well appointed and clean and tidy” and we always appreciate mention of our staff being friendly and personable. I highly recommend that next time you are in town you find time to have a meal in Nel Centro, the cuisine will blow your mind and if you are able to enjoy a meal on our patio by the fire pits all the better. Bryan K, I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Happy travels,

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Hotel Modera used to be my favorite hotel. As a road warrior, I stay in a lot of places, and I always look forward to staying here.

Several of the positives from my previous review stand. Rooms are small but nicely appointed. Service at the front desk varies widely depending on who you get. Door staff are great. Restaurant is still delicious - glad to still see Nat at the bar. Housekeeping is abysmal.

The fuse in my room blew the first morning when I was drying my hair. I had to call down and wait 10-15 minutes for it to be reset. Obviously you can't run the AC and a hairdryer at the same time without blowing a fuse. (!!) Speaking of the AC, the rooms here are always HOT - they really need to modernize the heating/cooling system. Asking guests to open their windows and listen to the buses drive by all night and have the street lights stream in because you can't cool your rooms is not a solution.

Housekeeping. They never emptied the trash in my room over a three day period. Two days I didn't have a full set of towels. Not really sure what's going on here, but it's not to the level of service that this hotel should demand, and customers expect.

Will I stay here again? Maybe. That's a far cry from being one of my favorite hotels in the country.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank hginphl
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

hginphl,

I was disappointed to receive your comment because there were so many nice things you were able to say about the hotel previously. I will offer no excuses we quite simply dropped the ball during your most recent stay, and did not give you the service and attention to detail that you have grown accustomed to and our staff customarily provides. I do appreciate you applauding the valet team, and mentioning the on-site restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and providing you with the Hotel Modera experience you cherish so much.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel Modera has gone from being one of my top favorite places to stay in Portland to one I will never stay at again, very disappointing as I had a number of great stays here since it opened but never again.
The room was fine upon check in, great staff as usual but that's when things went downhill. I returned late in the evening to find my room at a very hot 82 F, this was early June so didn't make sense that hot air was blowing into my room. I made a call to the front desk but was told this is way the system works, when the air outside cools to a lower point the air conditioner in the building turns off. I asked for a solution as I told them there was no way I would sleep in a room that hot but was told there were no other rooms and all they could offer was a small fan and told to open my window. I asked to talk with a manager but since it was midnight they said there was no one available I could talk to about this. I then spent the next hour finding another hotel, packing my bags and leaving.
The next day the front desk manager would only repeat over and over that sometimes things don’t meet guest expectations and apologized , basically denying there was any issue, quite amazing for a hotel room that was prices at close to $300 per night with tax.
I could never consider staying in a place that cant guarantee the basic comfort of a reasonable temperature.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank DEL D
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Del D,
We appreciate your response, it is only through honest feedback from our guests that we can encourage practices that are having a positiive impact and rethink or retool practices that fall short of guest expectations. It does sound like your stay fell short of not only your expectations but ours as well. Del D, we hope to welcome you back soon as a guest who has had a number of great stays we are confident you will give us another chance to offer the quality stay you are accustomed to and I know our team can deliver. As the majority of TripAdvisor posts attest your most recent experience was not typical for a guest at Hotel Modera.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed at the Modera in early May and was overly pleased with every aspect and detail of the hotel. The staff was very courteous and attentive. I was greeted every time I walked through the lobby by the front desk staff and any employee that I came in contact with. To me, this is a very important gesture to have encountered. One that is not always presented to guests in other hotels I have stayed at. The Hotel Modera represented proudly the city of Portland! The hotel is beautifully designed and exceptionally clean. The wooden walkway outside is such a nice touch. Its location is ideal and the surrounding area is quiet and near to all the sights of the city. I'm so glad I chose to stay there!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Nicholas R
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Nicholas R,

We are so glad you chose to stay with us too! I am so pleased that we were able to get such high praise, and we think that it is the accumulation of the little things done well that separate us from some of our local competition. Our employees love the city they live in and we look forward to sharing this with each guest they come into contact with. Nicholas R, we hope to welcome you back soon and encourage you to visit our website and join our mailing list so that you are privy to exclusive offers and promotions as they become available.