Hotel Modera
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
2,032 results
All reviewshour fitnessnel centro restaurantfaux furkeller auditoriumdays innvalet parkingcloset doorportland state universityhappy hourfront desk staffrestaurant downstairsmodern hotelfarmers marketrooms are smallfew blockshotel restaurantvalet service
Reviewed 7 July 2014

After multiple trips to Portland including frequent stays at Hotel Modera (including a positive review left on TA) my wife and I experienced a small but telling glitch. First, our room keys wouldn't allow us past the elevators. Not a big deal. Had cards reissued and went to room. The room (it was now past 10pm) had not been cleaned or made up or coffee restocked. Called downstairs to ask why but no one answered. Went downstairs and spoke to a nice guy who could't say why our room was not touched. He asked how he could make it up to us I said I'll leave it up to you and see what you decide when we check out early in the morning. Came down checked out and found a $5 credit for "going green". Hmmm...not much of a "sorry" as everyone who doesn't get new towels gets that credit.
When we returned home, I checked Modera's website and on April 24th I emailed Mr Andrew Maffei who is listed as the general manager. A week went by with no answer. Now it has become a bit of a challenge to see what is going on. I called Mr Maffei's office and left 2 voice mails. No response over the next 4 days. I call the front desk to see if maybe Mr Maffei doesn't work there or is on vacation. I am told he is in a meeting. I asked the nice lady to let him know I have been trying to reach him for 10 days. She returned to let me know he will contact me.
On May 6, I received a nice email from Mr Maffei addressing my issues along with the offer of a partial refund or credit toward our next stay. I explained I wasn't looking for handouts but liked Modera and was trying to make sure these issues didn't come up for us or other guests. I further explained the A/C on the 5th floor didn't work well and it stayed very hot (80 degrees on my thermometer) both nights. Mr Maffei said to contact him directly for our next stay and he would personally insure we had a great stay. Perfect!
After trying to contact Mr Maffei multiple times, I wound up booking our next stay at Hotel Modera direct through the hotel desk which was a serious hassle as no one answered desk/reservation line until 4th try.They also had no records of any of our previous stays. Further, the online prices were 10% lower from the direct booking prices. Ugh!
On June 8th, I emailed Mr Maffei to let him know when we were booked to visit but that there were several issues he may want to address with website. On June 17th, having had no response from VM's and email to Mr Maffei, I cancelled our upcoming stay at Hotel Modera and emailed a copy of the cancellation to Mr Maffei explaining why I had cancelled. As of today, July 7th, I have not heard from anyone at Hotel Modera.
It's a shame as we like this place and the restaurant. All the desk people and valets were top notch. Amazingly, the hotel General Manager is the one letting down the team and lost our business. Portland has hundreds of hotels to choose from. We wound up staying at Hotel DeLuxe and had a fine stay.

Room Tip: 5th floor was very overheated as A/C never worked
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank WhirledTravelor
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My boyfriend and I were coming to visit Portland for a night during the Blues Festival on the waterfront. This hotel is in the perfect location for walking to events on the waterfront, it's only a few blocks away!

The hotel is very modern and chic, I love the decor throughout! The front desk clerk was also very kind and helpful. I even told him about the Trip Advisor $1 valet parking deal I had signed up for and he gave it to me without showing any proof or giving me hassle. (The only parking offered is valet and it normally costs an extra $30). The room rates were hiked up, as were all others in town due to 4th of July and the Blues Festival but were decent in comparison. We got the "Premier City View King" room and it had a beautiful view of the skyscrapers. The decor in the room had a fun modern, hipster feel but I would have to say the bed was nothing to rave about, it wasn't cozy like you'd expect a nice hotel bed to have. I suppose that's my only complaint!

The front desk clerk warned me that the building is older so he advised turning off the thermostat when we went to bed or for some reason the building kicks on the heat automatically if it hits a certain temperature at night. So we did that and it seemed fine. It was over all a little humid and stuffy in the room but we made do.

The restaurant in the hotel, Nel Centro, was such a cool place to hang out in the evening. It was open late and had an outside lounge with fire pits...very chic!! We enjoyed hanging out there for some cocktails before we went to our room for the evening.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would come back again!!

Room Tip: Pick a city view, otherwise you face everyone hanging out at the outside lounge!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlyssaRaeM
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We visit Portland often and decided to try the Modera, having previously enjoyed an excellent meal in its restaurant (called Nel Centro). The hotel is well located near PSU and the South Park Blocks, and our suite was spacious and clean.

However, this place has serious problems with its heating and air-conditioning system. The bellman warned us that at night we would be better off opening the windows and relying on the natural breezes, since the central air system would no longer be putting out cool air. (Evidently, it senses the outside temperature and switches from cooling to heating, even though the former is still needed to keep the interior comfortable.)

Opening the windows was an imperfect solution. The hotel is situated between the city's two primary transit streets, so we got noise from buses and light rail cars throughout the night.

Otherwise, the hotel was mostly okay. The staff was friendly and efficient, and the room was cleaned properly. There were a few minor maintenance issues: the sliding door to the bathroom was too heavy to open and close easily, and the telephone message system didn't seem to work properly. These items, however, are easily fixable. The deal-breaker for us was, as mentioned, the inadequate heating and air conditioning system.

Room Tip: Probably the quietest rooms are those facing the interior "garden wall."
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank widelenser
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I spent two nights and can't wait to return. I found Hotel Modera to be a nicely remodeled hotel (last known as a Days Inn). My room was a comfortable and clean 2 Queen bedroom. The Valet parking was attentive and friendly. Vince (front desk) was professional and very friendly also. The location is perfect as there are alternative transportation services readily available.

Kudos for: The 'ice in a bag' idea, no noisy dispenser! The free and effortless wifi, beautiful entry, furnishings, art, and the 24 hour fitness pass.

Suggestions: Locate outlets where they are easy to see and access (on the wall above the nightstand). I ended up leaving my phone charger behind because it fell out of sight. Also, I hung the door hanger to indicate I did not require fresh linens or towels, an 'Eco friendly' alternative which would also save me money upon check out. I noticed after checkout that the reduction was not reflected on my bill. It would be helpful if the front desk knew when a guest used the Eco Service and deducted it from the bill at checkout (I forgot to mention it).

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I would love to return for another stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Great place for me and my "girl" friends to have a reunion of shopping, eating, and sightseeing. Entire staff is very welcoming and well-trained. Located very close to Portland's excellent light rail system, but we were able to walk just about everywhere within this well-laid-out city.
I will definitely stay here again the next time I visit lovely Portland.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends