“nice hotel, rooms a little small”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #30 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is a nice hotel located fairly close to downtown with a good restaurant. It would be a perfect location for anyone having business at Portland State University, but it is also convenient to the art museum and Pioneer Square. Valet parking is expensive so we used a garage about a block away. The rooms are small, but comfortable and nicely furnished. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: quieter on the courtyard side but there is some noise from the outdoor restaurant area --
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed in the hotel as a solo traveler who booked the room through a name your price bid. Overall the stay at the hotel was very good. My room was a bit banged up but not in horrible condition. I was given a handicapped room which made for a unique bathroom which was basically a stall-less shower. The hotel was at near full capacity so I stayed with my room especially since I had gotten it at a reduced rate through a bid. The staff was exceedingly friendly and helpful. All of their suggestions were good and useful. Parking through the valet while easy was pricey at $30 a night. I opted to park in a garage nearby for $20 a night. Granted, not a huge savings but it added up after five nights and the stroll back to my room was easy and safe. The location is good and fairly central. It does seem to be a tiny bit south of the main flow of the SW downtown but not by much and it is very close to stops for both the streetcar and light rail. Overall I had a good experience. The pics you see with the fire pits are actually part of the hotel restaurant and not the hotel itself. They are visible from the lobby and you can sit in the area across from them but there is a glass divider between. The wifi at the hotel was free, not secure but worked fairly well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We booked this hotel for its location in Portland and were very happy with our choice. We went to Portland for a reunion of sorts with former co-workers and were happy with our choice. There room was quiet for a large city hotel and was clean and comfortable. The staff was pleasant and accommodating as well,
We ate in the onsite restaurant and for the most part we happy with our choice, The only glitch was diner service as a result of having a "newby" waiter who had not been given sufficient training. But I would fault the restaurant management not the waiter.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I cant believe the extreme of both good and bad I experienced in this hotel.

Amazingly gifted front desk staff-helpful and accomodating; I really loved the concierge named Johnny really would have garnered 5 -stars for his brilliance.

Then you are forced to deal with the restaurant., something that couldnt be a bigger nightmare!! Over-priced terrible food and the worst wait staff I have ever met. Other patrons in the bar starting fights with the rest of hotel guests for no reason. I have never seen anything like this in any city in my life!!!! So much drama just for some food that is only "meh" with 30.00 price tags per each course. One of the biggest rip- offs and wanna- be places in all of Portland. I wish this hotel could separate from the restaurant which is a complete disastrous mess. Not fair for the front desk clerks, amazing hotel staff and similar to suffer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade your room for the small upgrade fee....more like an apartment than a hotel room for just a f...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank cristinaseattlew
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This hotel has a great parking garage (valet parking) and is located near other parking garages if you don't mind a short walk. Its also about 300 feet from the Max stop, so you can get anywhere you want! The restaurant thats on location has a great menu and a very good happy hour. We stayed here for the Cher concert and it was fabulous! The staff are nice, friendly, and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Good location, good room, genuinely helpful staff, excellent bar and restaurant area.
The very helpful, but unimposing staff, is a clear standout for this hotel.
The outdoor patio and bar area are very pleasant to be in.
We, a family of four, were all very impressed. Clear winner of all the hotels we stayed in for a week long travel around Oregon and a bit of Washington. If we were to go back to Portland, that's the hotel we would stay in, no question about it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Customer Service was extraordinary. Greeted by extremely helpful staff. Rooms are small but has everything we need. I found the bed extremely hard for my liking and the air conditioning wasn't kicking out a lot of cool air. Quiet room, small fridge and safe all were bonuses. Enjoyed the gym next door on several mornings with a free pass courtesy of the hotel. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple