“The Staff Made the Whole Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #26 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Des Moines, Iowa
“The Staff Made the Whole Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We randomly landed on this hotel due to a Hotwire bid on a downtown hotel. The room itself was quite nice, aside from a strange sink/shower/toilet 'all in one' bathroom with very little counter space. We didn't eat in the restaurant but it had a great atmosphere, as did the hotel's public areas. The location was just fine and very close to multiple public transportation options. Perhaps not as 'happening' of a neighborhood as the Pearl District, but a quick hop, skip, and a jump from everywhere we wanted to go.

What made this hotel an exceptional experience, for us, was the phenomenal staff. Every single person we spoke to at the front desk was knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and seemed to truly enjoy sharing their city with us through their thoughtful recommendations. If I needed to hire a team to work at my hotel (okay, I don't have a hotel ... but hypothetically), this would be the one.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Korean first
Louisville, KY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Spent two nights here on business, One of two rooms was ready at check in at 1:30.

Room is small but clean and adequate. Well stocked with towels, so no need for housekeeping unless you can't make your own bed during a short stay. You receive a $5 credit for going green.

My biggest complaint is the street noise. Perhaps downtown Portland has a high percentage of drag-racing, super-muffler muscle cars, delivery trucks and semis going through but the noise is almost deafening at morning and night rush hour. (I managed to get a good night's sleep buy drinking wine from the serviceable restaurant and combining it with sleeping pills. It was either going to end well, or badly.) Ask for a high floor.

On a positive note, the shower has good water pressure and there's coffee in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed here for one night and I'm glad that the hotel is now dog-friendly. There is a reasonable $25 fee per stay (not per night). I appreciated the fact that there were dog bowls in the room, as well as a basket of toys in the lobby.

The front desk staff were extremely friendly.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 209 and those on either side of this room. The AC/HVAC/heating system is located directl...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

After having spent many hours reviewing hotels online in Portland, I chose this hotel based off the previous reviews and also the fact that it had an affiliation to the local fitness club and hence a pool which was a key factor in my choice - having a child who is an avid swimmer! So after a long 7 hour trip to Portland, we received our cards to go to the Fitness centre (which I received with my son next to me) and we arrived at the fitness centre only to be told that children were not allowed, even in the pool! Well, that really was a disappointment to us all. Especially since this was not conveyed to us, on the website, nor in person when checking in and getting the cards with my son next to me at reception. Might seem like a minor detail but to traveling parents who have been in the car for a long span on time, getting out and doing something physical afterwards is important. I was told that access to recreational pools downtown is very hard to come by - not sure that is really an excuse.

Otherwise, rooms were fine, decor okay, restaurant good (had dinner and breakfast).

Not sure I would recommend the hotel to friends though. I would probably look elsewhere myself.

Room Tip: High floor, away from restaurant
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Santa Cruz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent one night here. The staff was friendly and helpful. The restaurant had good food. And the room was really comfortable and clean. I also appreciate a few of the details. Refillable soap dispensers in the shower instead of tiny plastic bottles that are thrown out. The minibar was totally reasonably priced. They even had an intimacy kit available which included condoms. Super smart idea! I would totally stay here again and not think twice.

Stayed July 2014
Elkridge, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

The location is fantastic, within easy walking distance to many popular locations. The restaurant, Nel Centro, is great and the bar area--especially outside with the large fire tables is an awesome place to enjoy a drink at the end of the busy day.

The rooms are very basic, small and not particularly comfortable. There is not even a lounge chair in the room. The bed takes up all of the usable space in the room. It is difficult to sit at the desk and work.The bathrooms are very tight and the in-room coffee service is marginal.

The staff was fantastic and the valet parking was extremely responsive.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rjdoan
Tenino, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed here for our 22nd wedding anniversary and were excited. Their website told us we should expect a "sophisticated environment shaped with modern simplicity and practical comfort." And the hotel does live up to that. The lobby looks hip and swank in a Mad Men kind of way. Nel Centro is the restaurant attached to the hotel -it was airy, bright and has a very large outdoor seating area that was hopping on Saturday night. Order a Diavoletta, a tasty drink with limoncello, vodka and passion fruit. Mmm. The room, although small, was fine, the bed was comfortable. We did think it odd that the tray with the coffee maker, mugs etc was in the bathroom on the open shelf under the vanity-a little too close to the toilet, I think.

A couple things made us wonder if we would stay here again:
First, At check-in we heard the front desk staff tell others their rooms were not ready yet because a lot of their guests checked out at noon (the regular checkout time) but they proudly announced to all, including us, that we shouldn't worry-they had a "guaranteed" 4pm check-in time! At 4, we went to the front desk where we were told the room was not ready yet. We were checked in about 20 minutes later-not too bad, but don't promise something you can't meet.

Both elevators in the lobby were out of order for several hours the next day and access to the stairs required a key card. Some of the front desk staff didn't know this was happening while others less than a foot away did. Staff did offer to take people up the stairs to the guest rooms. Not a good situation. This could really happen anywhere but the hotel staff could have handled this situation much better -maybe just by having someone by the elevators helping guests or posting a sign...something.

Thus hotel dud have charms but we left with mixed reviews. Not sure if we would try it again.

Room Tip: Our city room view did have a limited view of the city.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank terry g
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Terry G,

Happy belated anniversary and thank you for taking the time to post a review! I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the vibe of the hotel, we have a few enhancements coming to the lobby soon that we think will make it eben more spectacular. And while staying with us a drink at the bar of Nel Centro is never a bad idea, I was happy you enjoyed the Diavoletta. I will pass your comments on to our entire management as it sounds like we all could use your experince as a tool to train our teams. I hope we have the opportunity to host you the next time you are in Portland.

Andrew Maffei