“Met expectations but with drawbacks”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #28 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Although the rooms and surroundings are comfortable clean and new, you would not expect any less for a boutique hotel with a fairly hefty price tag.

Overall I was disappointed. I found the general atmosphere of the hotel to be pretentious. They are going for the boutique hipster vibe which works well for the restaurant but does not lend a restful or comforting feeling as a hotel guest. This was reflected in the staff, who, though friendly and helpful, had a slight feeling of smugness and self-importance which does not make a guest feel relaxed and comfortable. I did not think the lobby felt relaxed and welcoming - more in keeping with a restaurant foyer than a hotel lobby. I felt like slightly like I was intruding on the staff's hip pad on the ground floor rather than feeling the usual mix of welcome with a respectful anonymity that you find in most luxury hotels. The door and valet staff were very good however.

The only provision for smokers of only a tiny square outside the front doors of the hotel in the car park was also inconvenient and uncomfortable.

I was also disappointed that, because the restaurant is a separate business, there is not much synergy between the hotel and the restaurant. A $10 dollar minimum charge for room service from the restaurant (which is frequently described as a separate business) does not make a guest feel well served and looked after. Equally, breakfast is not included.

Overall, although worthy of 4 stars because it is above average. For the price, the positives met but did not exceed my expectations and were let down by the other factors I've mentioned.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank bigbluebamboo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Modera

Reviewed 25 August 2014

On a trip with friends my husband and I stayed here for a long weekend. It's well kept and the staff was helpful and welcoming. The food at the restaurant was very good both for appys at night and full breakfast in am. Great outdoor bar/sitting area. We're glad we picked this hotel and would return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I just returned from a one night stay at Modera on 8/22/14. I was looking for an anniversary staycation downtown and everything was either booked or very expensive for that weekend. So I ended up bidding on Priceline for an unknown four star hotel in downtown for 200. After purchase, it was revealed I was stuck with Hotel Modera. In my opinion this hotel is a 3 or maybe 3.5 star hotel at best due to a lack of amenities, luxury, and charm. I've stayed at a variety of properties downtown from the Benson, to the Nines, Hotel Monaco, the Heathman, and Hilton Executive tower, and this hotel doesn't come close to that league. It doesn't even have the quirky charm of the Crystal hotel. I would not recommend it for a romantic getaway, nor for a tourist as it's in very quiet bank lined location a bit of a walk away from any attractions or action. It might be alright for a business trip to the area. Regardless I would not pay full price to stay here.

Modera does have interesting artwork on the walls, sculptures, and some nice photography. The lobby is ultra modern, bordering on trying to have that cool hipster vibe. It is a little tired and worn in some places however. A nice feature of this hotel is the outdoor patio/lounge area where you can enjoy happy hour, the living plant wall and at night the fire pits. It seems a shame though that you have to be a restaurant customer to sit out there.

We had a room on the 5th floor looking down on the courtyard patio below. Upon entering it was stifling hot and smelled of cigarettes and like a dirty ashtray. Disappointing for a "boutique hotel". It didn't feel too small for two people however, and was laid out fine with a desk, chair, small fridge and slightly too hard bed which made my back hurt in the morning. I greatly disliked the giant fake fur bed blanket. The bathroom had nice toiletries mounted to the wall, lots of mirrors and a rain shower head. The sliding door to the bathroom was a nightmare however. Extremely hard to pull shut, heavy and then suddenly would smash your fingers. The AC worked for us just fine, and cooled off the room quickly which was a relief.We could hear noise from the patio below but it wasn't overwhelming.

We were disturbed by the fact that the coffee maker, coffee, cups, and tea bags are stored in the bathroom, on an open shelf under the sink, right next to the toilet. GROSS! The electrical cord to the coffee maker was a foot long in total and wouldn't plug in easily anywhere else. We had to put it on a stool under the window to plug in there. Stupid arrangement. It should be on the desk ( next to the minibar items, romance kit and 5 dollar water) with an appropriate extension cord!

Modera has no gym facilities or pool. I read in the hotel book that you are suppose to get a one time pass into the nearby 24 hour fitness to use, but no one mentioned that to us at check in. We had to go down the next day and ask. We did receive towels, passes and instructions to get coins for the lockers. But upon arrival at the 24 hour fitness, the lockers are in fact not coin operated! That was annoying after scrambling to find change.

We've heard that the staff makes this place special, and that very well may be the case but we had little to no interaction with them, nor did we Valet a car so that didn't make a difference in our lack of enjoyment of this property. We both left thinking that Hotel Modera was an okay hotel, trying way too hard to be something more upscale than it actually was. It's rare for me to say, but I wouldn't return nor recommend it to others for consideration.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Ariella35,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the art work throughout the hotel. Hotel Modera features hundreds of pieces of art work, each piece of it from a local artist. At Hotel Modera we always try to showcase and support local craftsmen, restaurateurs, and artists. Next time you stay with us ask our front desk about all things local they will point you in the direction of some of the best hot spots in the city.

Regards,
Andrew Maffei
amaffei@hotelmodera.com

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Let's just start with the fact that the service is some of the best I have encountered in quite some time. Friendly, thoughtful and always prompt. Valet service knew me and my car without needing my claim ticket. Staff at the front desk willingly called our restaurant to let them know we were running a few minutes late for our reservation.

My critique is less about the quality of service and more about some of the environmental elements.

Our room had the smell of an old smokers hotel room. The a/c unit is a bit noisey and the bed was a bit too firm for my wife. We were on the 4th floor and the ands of laughter and talking from the courtyard dining was quite loud even with the curtains pulled for additional sound deadening. Some of the furnishings in the lobby look a little thread bare and worn as did a few of the elements in the room.

I would stay here again, in large part to the exceptional staff, but I would look for discounts and buy with a discount service in light of the high price.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I'm lucky I get to travel all over the world. Usually in 5-star or high-end boutique Hotels. I try to never go to the same place again because I prefer adventure and hate routine.
This changed with the Modera Hotel in Portland. Why? It's not because of the rooms. They are OK and have all the amenities. It's because of the people that work here. Period.
From Lacey checking you in with such style, easiness and comfort to the best concierge (i think) in the business; a young classy guy that can read your wants and needs and expectations and suggest what will work for you… and of course Bryce in the bar. This place exceeds expectations. Take it from a guy who's been around is picky on everything. The Modera is my go to place in Portland. It's pretty close to the districts like Pearl and so on but keeps your sleeps comfy without the noise.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crazyglobetrotters
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The staff, accomodations, decor and location make this boutique hotel a real gem! I loved the fact that the staff was always smiling and helpful. It didn't hurt that the bed was firm and the pillows were down.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights and it's about 30 minutes to PDX. Comfortable, modern, friendly staff, breakfast - well made and tasty and room-service (breakfast) as good as restaurant. Loved the bar in the courtyard and it's popular with hotel guests and with businesses in the neighborhood. I was able to walk to Pioneer Square (about 5 blocks away).

Sleep - bed was comfortable with quality sheets. Others on TripAdvisor complained room was too small. I thought it was adequate and medium in size. A/C unit was a little noisy and interrupted my sleep a bit, and my room was on the second floor right above the courtyard where the busy bar area was, so it wasn't exactly quiet. But they closed up shop by 11-midnight, so that wasn't an issue for me. If you want something quieter, you should probably ask for a room not overlooking the courtyard.

While there isn't a fitness center at the hotel, they gave me a free pass to 24-hour fitness a block away. Wifi was free and I was able to watch a streaming moving from Amazon Prime, so plenty of bandwidth.

Overall, I'd definitely book a room here again on my next trip to Portland.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are on higher floors, not overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business