“Excellent, quirky place to stay”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #28 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Found the Hotel Modera over the web and made a reservation to stay there. I spent 4 nights and found it to be an excellent place. According to friends in Portland it used to be a Days Inn (or something like that) but has been redone as a boutique hotel. The decor is nice, the staff is very friendly, I had breakfast one morning in the restaurant and it was good too. Though I didn't use it, the outdoors bar seemed nice. The room, a legacy of its past life, wasn't very large but was quite good. A fitness center a block away is available for free use by hotel guests.

The location is also excellent, next to Portland State Univ., and within walking distance of the Art Museum, Historical Society, many good restaurants, and the riverfront. I enjoyed the stay very much.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank steveh46

Reviewed 13 October 2009

Very modern and hip, and friendly too. Visually stunning, with very comfortable rooms, walking distance to all of downtown Portland. We accidently left our passports in the room safe and didn't realize it until we were at the airport, but the staff was wonderfully accomodating in working out a way to get them back to us. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Got a great deal on this hotel from Hotwire, and the place was beautiful. Hotel was right downtown within walking distance from nearly everything. Staff was very friendly. I had a great time and would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2009

We got the advance purchase internet deal at $109 for 2 queen beds. The public spaces in this mid-century modern hotel are wonderful- full of art. The beds and pillows were among the best we've ever had. The bathroom was small but updated and impeccably clean. Friendly staff, good location.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2009

From the friendly valet parking attendants to the hip urban interior decor, no detail has been overlooked. It is hard to believe that this hotel was once a run down Days Inn. The lobby has a high-end, european boutique hotel feel and the open air courtyard provides the perfect setting for a late morning breakfast or evening drinks by the fire. The restaurant fare is outstanding. The convenient location at the south end of the downtown business district allows for easy in and out via car and most attractions, shopping and restaurants are in walking distance. The rooms are small but very tastefully appointed and comfortable. On my last stay there, I had a nice conversation with the friendly manager. I mentioned how impressed I was with the staff and hotel. When I returned that afternoon, there was wine, fruit and chocolates waiting in my room along with a handwritten thank you note. Now that's service! I highly recommend Hotel Modera! In fact, I will be staying there again next week.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Dwight D
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We saw an ad for this hotel in Seattle Times and I decided to give this place a try. All in all, I think it is very good value for the money. I liked the location - in a nice part of downtown Portland, very close to the waterfront park, not far away from more central area. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The room was nice, clean, spacious, with a nice LCD TV. I had some difficulty with their Wi-Fi service on the first night, but it became better. I also liked the patio area in the courtyard.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Hotel Modera is a boutique hotel convert nestled Portland State limits. Overall, I'd say that the stay was tolerable at best. I am a fan of modern furnishing and sleek touches which is why I chose this hotel at the on set.

From the moment we arrived, it was apparent that there was a certain disconnect among the front desk and valet service personnel. One thing to note that parking is offered by valet only. We were promptly told that our room was ready by the valet service, once inside, we were dismayed to find out that no rooms were currently available and we needed to return in one hour. Granted we did arrive at 2pm, but I was more upset at the conflicting information we were given. Okay, that was understandable. We returned 2 hours later at the time of check-in. This time we were surely to have a room. Again, we were told that there were no rooms available and that we would need to wait once again. Now, I am a polite woman so I proceeded to take a seat on their plush couches in the lobby. My boyfriend, however, is not know for his tact. Once he managed to cart our luggage into the lobby, with no aid from any hotel employee I might add, he went directly to the front desk and asked to speak to a manager. He was visibly displeased with the level of service they provided and they promptly sent someone to clean our room. Fortunately, the room was ready within ten minutes after that and they were gracious enough to comp one night of parking. They were on my good side again. But wait, it doesn't end there. As we gathered our luggage to proceed up to our room, we were halted by the line forming at the elevators. One of the elevators had been shut down for maintenance and only one was operational. This one elevator could fit four adults at best, not including luggage. Who decides to shut down an elevator for maintenance during check-in time? Needless to say, we were less than thrilled.

After waiting in what seemed to be a line for an amusement park ride, we managed to find our room. The room was exquisite and very much to my liking. I loved the faux fur throw at the foot of the bed and the orange toned color theme. The bed was plush and comfortable. I definitely slept well that night. The bathroom had great lighting and sleek fixtures. The room was even complete with a mini-fridge and bath robes. If I were to judge the hotel purely on amenities I'd give it high remarks.

Then the morning came and the staff was once agin on my bad side. We traveled to Portland for a good time and we were out late the night before. It is only natural to want to sleep in. I arose at the sound of what resembled a door bell. I was confused. Was my phone going off? Did I forget to turn off my alarm setting? No to both. It was the housekeeping lady at the door. She was already trying to hurry people out of their rooms at 9am. I was unaware that there was a doorbell, but I quickly turned on the privacy light. This left a sour taste in my mouth. Checkout isn't until 12pm. What I don't understand is that if they are up early pushing people out of their rooms, how could they not have one ready for us at 4pm?

All in all, I'd rate Hotel Modera at a 2 on a scale of 1 to 5. Everyone knows that service makes the difference.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple