“Comfort and Service in the heart of downtown Portland”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Seattle
“Comfort and Service in the heart of downtown Portland”
Reviewed 9 February 2010

We love downtown Portland - a great place to walk, dine, and enjoy the special ambiance of this city. And now there's a wonderful hotel, right in the heart of it all, with friendly and knowledgeable service, comfortable and really 21st century rooms, terrific food, and at the top for us, a beautifully designed outdoor terrace that, because of heated stones, works year-round (except, of course, when the rains come down).
Contemporary but warm, the Hotel Modera makes a great home for any stay in downtown Portland. We'll be back soon
Mike and Donna James, Seattle.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed 30 January 2010

Hotel Modera, located right on the edge of Portland Stat University, between two Tri-Met train lines and close to a transit center that services Tri-Met, the Portland Streetcar, Modera is a great place to make home base while using Portland's public transit system to get around in the city.

The rate we paid for our lodging was very competitive in relation to other downtown Portland hotel properties. Being a good value and located near Tri-Met lines makes it an even better value.

Finding parking in downtown Portland is rather difficult. Parking at the Modera is easy as they have valet parking, however it does cost an extra $20/night on top of regular room rates. Our room rate included valet parking, however there was no significant cost difference between room rates with valet parking included and those that had no valet parking and then had the service tacked on at the end of the stay. It wasn't as if the Modera management was discounting the valet parking service in any way.

We arrived in Portland rather late, nearly midnight, but the front desk clerk was very pleasant and happy to tell us about the hotel, the attached restaurant and the dining options we could look forward to in the morning, and any dining we might want to take in before turning in for the night. I'm hoping that the Modera staff can find more employees like this gentleman, because he was the most pleasant of all the staff members we met in our two night stay. This isn't to say that the day side desk staff wasn't pleasant, but they weren't quite as enthused with working at the Modera.

Valet parking staff were quite efficient and seemed available any time we needed to take out the car. We didn't have to take out the car that much considering how accessible the Portland rail system is. Our travel and entertainment plans didn't take us too far outside of walking distance of the Tri-Met rail lines.

Our room was a single king, it was smaller than we had expected, but efficiently laid out. Furniture and fixtures were much nicer than some other hotels in the same price range. The soaps in the bathroom were quite excellent and the towels were soft, thick and very bright white. I was especially impressed with the overall comfort of the bed, its linens and the various blankets and throws that were on the bed. WiFi could be found throughout the building.

Because our first morning was a bit pressed for time, we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant, Nel Centro. The food was unique and very light, but filling. We didn't have an opportunity to check out the restaurant for dinner or other night life, but we heard that it was very good. Apparently they bring in live music on weekend nights.

We would definitely stay at the Modera again when visiting Portland.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank mtgops
NYC
Reviewed 29 January 2010

Pros: Nicely euro-styled hip design hotel in a good downtown location. Good value due to low weekend rate. Decor/furnishings have quality - marble, bathroom products, seating. Restaurant is good - small menu but good service.

Cons: Small rooms, paper-thin walls (I asked for a quiet room to ensure there wasn't street noise, but I could hear people talking, showering, flushing toilets in the rooms beside me). I know this is a bit fussy, but I left my room at 9am, came back at 230pm and my room wasn't cleaned. When I called to make sure it wasn't missed, I was told (a little unapologetically) that they only clean 12pm-4pm, which is weird because I saw cleaning people working when I left the hotel in the morning and when I came back to leave my coat at 1130pm. Anyhow, I wanted to sleep a bit before going out for the night, so I had to wait in the lobby (and type this review) while I waited for my room to be finished, which is sort of annoying. I agree with another reviewed that the front desk staff can seem to be a bit bothered by customers and having more fun with each other.

Bottom line - I might come back. But given there are so many cool hotels in PDX, it would be driven by the rate rather than the experience.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank IveBeenAroundNYC
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 22 January 2010

My partner and I had a great experience at Hotel Modera. We had been at a New Year's Eve Party and arrived at the hotel afterward. We were greeted warmly and made our way up to our room. Everything was clean and tidy and there were no disturbances. We requested a late check-out, which was granted, and everything else went very smooth.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Very conveniently located in the heart of Portland.
I wouldn't call it Luxury Hotel but we definitely were very comfortable.
The Restaurant/Bar attached to the hotel is awesome.
The hotel staff was very genuinely courteous.
We will definitely go back to the Modera...

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
AUSTIN, TX
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Highly recommended. Beautiful and modern decor.... For starters, this hotel is in the heart of downtown Portland and just a minutes walk-away from shopping/dining and the Pearl District. -- and other entertainment. There are tons of great food/drink finds 5-10 walking minutes away including the best hot dog joint I've ever been too, SuperDog (with a mighty tasty brew selection) to a very upscale scotch bar such as the VQ (try the scotch flights). The hotel has free wifi and a mini-frigde that will come into handy during your stay. The hotel staff is absolutely amazing, whether you are looking for a new place to eat/drink or if you just need some directions or Portland perspective -- just ask Brea, Jake, John, Audria... anyone really -- and they will point you in the right direction. I have been staying here for weeks at a time while working in Hillsboro and will never stay in the Hillsboro suburbs again; the hotel is priced competitively and puts you right out onto the 26W; travel time to Hillsboro is under 25 minutes, with the return about the same. HD flat screens with HBO help to keep me feeling at home, as well as the comfortable beds and window views. Request the garden view as it not only gives you a view of the garden and fire pits but the city mountain side and evergreen vista (i've done both...). The attached restaurant is very nice and the staff is knowledgeable/friendly but i can't recommend visiting more than once as there are so many other places near-by to explore. If you are visiting Portland for business or pleasure, check into Modera and you'll probably never stay anywhere else again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank chempezmk
La Quinta, California
Reviewed 19 January 2010

A gorgeously appointed luxury hotel in the heart of Portland , great for a leisure or business trip. I heard about this hotel from a friend and I was not disappointed. The furnishings and art throughout the hotel and in the rooms were upscale and elegant while keeping the non-pretentious appeal of the Pacific Northwest . A faux fur on the super comfortable bed, the extended shower space and robes for two all made for a luxury feel at a reasonably priced hotel.
Aside from the decor, comfort and other luxuries, the staff was very attentive, helpful and appeared to be genuinely happy to assist guests with any necessities, as well as provided professional services one would expect from a four-star establishment.
Overall, I was very pleased with my stay at Hotel Modera and I would recommend this hotel to friends and business colleagues alike.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple