“Wow! I wish my trip was longer as I enjoyed this hotel a great deal!”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #28 of 143 Hotels in Portland
Texas
“Wow! I wish my trip was longer as I enjoyed this hotel a great deal!”
Reviewed 24 March 2010

From the wonderful service, to the pristine room, to the great outdoor patio area, I was beyond impressed with this hotel. I would never consider staying anywhere else in Portland. I commend the general manager and his staff for creating an atmosphere of comfort, luxury and efficiency. Try this hotel; you will not regret it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2010

True, the hotel is a new (recently renovated) funky, chic and modern oasis in the southern part of downtown Portland. Check-in was quick and friendly. I dig the hotel restaurant’s (Nel Centro’s) outdoor patio with the very cool fire pits (I also had a great breakfast there). And, yes, the king-sized bed was comfortable, the bathroom was up to snuff, the room was clean and spacious (at least #348 is roomy) and major kudos for free WiFi and having an LCD TV with HD channels. And, the location is quite good since Portland is such a walkable city with very short blocks. All this at about $100/night (plus $20/night for valet parking). So, what’s the problem? Sounds like this hotel has it all and it should be an automatic 5/5.

Three reasons I can't write a glowing review:

First off and, most importantly: noise. Noise levels in my room were off the charts (and I’m a good sleeper). The walls are absolutely paper thin (voices and flushing are easily heard) and the windows, well, there’s simply no insulation from outside noise. The hotel is smack dab between 5th and 6th street – major thoroughfares in downtown Portland, so I heard plenty of buses. My room was facing Clay St and, I’m not exaggerating, a dumpster was being emptied at 3:00AM on Monday morning. I’m very surprised this wasn’t mentioned in more reviews and can’t imagine my room as the only noisy one. I must flag it though and inform light sleepers to beware. I regret not following the advice of a previous reviewer and getting a room facing the garden/main entrance because I suspect it would have been much more quiet.

Secondly: moldy-looking pipes and brown stains? I wasn’t looking for this stuff, but it was there. The multiple brown stains were on the washroom ceiling and the exposed pipes were in the top area of the closet (see pic). Perhaps just a cleaning/maintenance oversight in my room? Not good.

Finally: valet. I get the mandatory $20 for valet parking since the price of the room is already very competitive. But (and a big BUT) I have good reason to believe the valet staff didn’t just drive my car to the underground parking. I wasn’t diligent enough to read the odometer before I handed the keys, but there were footprints and dirt on the floor of the backseat (I had the car detailed prior and no one had sat back there) and my wife claimed her seat (passenger) was definitely not in its original position. I suspect the valet was just testing out the my car’s interior, but that is still uncool.

I agree with others that Hotel Modera has a lot going for it but, unfortunately for me, I didn’t share the same great experiences other reviewers had. Surprisingly disappointed. 3/5.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GlobalEyes
HotelModera, Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, 15 March 2010
We would like to thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Portland. Hotel Modera prides itself on being a great value for travelers and guests who appreciate luxury and a boutique hotel experience, and I am happy to see that you enjoyed our location, amenities, and services.

Being a downtown city hotel we are unfortunately unable to control the noise from traffic and the street. While remodeling the property, we installed state-of-the-art double-pane glass windows to mitigate this metropolitan noise; please know that if you had alerted us during your stay that you were experiencing a less than restful night, we would have immediately accommodated your needs. Additionally, I thank you for bringing the condition of the pipes in your room to our attention so that our Engineering Department may address the issue.

Regarding your concerns about your vehicle during your stay: after reviewing all security footage of your vehicle during your stay with us, I can personally confirm that your vehicle never left its designated parking spot during your stay, nor did the valet staff in any way behave unprofessionally when parking and retrieving your vehicle.

Once again, we appreciate your patronage of Hotel Modera. I hope that you will contact me directly to discuss this matter further.

Desmond Mollendor
dmollendor@hotelmodera.com
Seattle
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Cool redone hotel in downtown Portland. On the edge of downtown but walkable to many restaurants and activities. Nice lounge and restaurants and great oudoor firepit lounge and hang out space. Great suite with lots of room and ammenities. You would never know it if you drove by so stop in and you will be pleasently be suprised.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Donziz33
olympia
Reviewed 25 February 2010

A wonderful find in Portland. We stay in downtown Portland 1-2 nights a month and have tried about every hotel. Modera has been our choice for months: clean, quiet (try garden side), well managed, polite and efficient service. Unlike many hotels, check in and out takes only 2-3 minutes. Valet parking is fast and efficient also. Try the internet specials.
This is a delightful place. Only "drawback" - W. Puck's awful coffee in the room.

1 Thank victor27
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I love modern decor and style, but not the hipster attitude that sometimes comes with it. This lovely hotel offer gorgeous ambience with friendly, helpful service and all you need for a very comfortable stay. Great beds, luxe linens, yummy bath products, Italian marble, dark wood and chic furnishings. Rooms are very clean and well maintained. Ipod docks, flat screens, all modern conveniences! Great downtown location within easy walking distance to the heart of the city, the waterfront, and more, or one block to the free streetcar line to take you to the Pearl District and beyond. The knowledgeable and helpful front desk staff will gladly answer your questions. The rates are quite reasonable for the quality of the property. We wished we had more than one night so we could enjoy the outdoor patio and well-reviewed restaurant. I've stayed in quite a few Portland hotels, this is my new favorite for sure! Can't wait to return.

Seattle, WA
Reviewed 20 February 2010

I seriously wanted to move in. The Modera is wonderful, and employs some of the friendliest hotel staff I have ever encountered. I don't usually stay in "luxury" hotels, quite honestly because I don't think they're worth the cost. The nice thing about the Hotel Modera is that it's moderately priced for the high value (our room was just $99). The rooms are beautiful. The two downsides are the price of parking ($20, and valet is your only option) and the rooms are somewhat cozy (as in small). Fortunately in Portland, you can get by without a car and save on the cost of valet parking.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
seattle
Reviewed 15 February 2010

We just returned from a three day visit to Modera and are already trying to plan another trip to this beautiful luxury hotel! If you can splurge, reserve their Premium Suite which far exceeded our expectations. We also dined at their restaurant, Nel Centro - A MUST! The outdoor firepits in their courtyard are a nice way to enjoy a glass of wine in the evening. The hotel has impeccable service and goes out of their way to make sure all of your needs are met. We took advantage of their free passes to the 24-hr Fitness around the corner which was a plus. The hotel is centrally located to all of the sites that downtown Portland has to offer. The public transportation makes it easy to venture outside of the main city. Thanks everyone for making our stay so special!

1 Thank curtdiloveitaly