“Unbelieveably Cool”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #28 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 1 April 2010

My daughter and I stayed there for our annual girls' weekend. It was wonderful! From the minute we checked in until we departed - everything was great. Furnishings and colors used throughout the hotel are fabulous - including the "mink" throws on the beds.

Great location and the close proximity to the MAX light-rail made getting to/from the train station so easy.

Definitely sit around the fire pits and have a cocktail or 2 - it's a great experience.

• Stayed: March 2010

Reviewed 28 March 2010

We stayed three nights (Thur. - Sun.) My wife and I travel frequently throughout CA and OR. I write a review for each hotel and post on Hotels.com, Travel Advisor and Travelocity.

Upon arrival the parking attendant informed us of mandatory valet parking. At check in I was informed of the mandatory $20 per night parking fee. I have disabled plates and no hotel in California or Oregon had ever charged me for parking with disabled plates before. $20 per night is too much.

Our room had one wall seperating us from the elevators and over looked the courtyard. Noisy and annoying. Friday night the elevators were running constantly until well after midnight. The courtyard is where people sit at night drinking and having a good time. They were very noisy and loud. There was a wedding party there and party they did. All this at the expense of our sleep.

Saturday morning I asked if we could be moved to a room away from the elevators. The staff moved us to another room further from the elevator but still over looked the courtyard. Same problem Saturday night. Noisy bar crowd until well after midnight. At least there was no elevator noise.

Very small rooms. There isn't even a comfortable chair to sit in and read or drink coffee. The only chair is a desk chair. The thermostat in both rooms did not control heat or air conditioning. I assume the air conditioning is turned off this time of the year but no heat? It didn't matter if I set the thermostat for 66 or 80, there was no difference. This was only a problem because we had to regulate the room temperature by opening and closing the window. This was the same in both rooms.

The hotel is clean, modern and has free wireless internet. The staff was fantastic! Very unique design. We did not use the restaurant so I can't comment on that.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2010

We would like to thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Portland. Hotel Modera is proud to be one of downtown Portland’s most popular boutique hotels, and we are always pleased when our guests enjoy not only our modern design, but our location and amenities as well.

If you received the impression that our valet parking charge was somehow because of the disabled plates on your vehicle, please know this is not the case. Like most other downtown hotels, we offer valet-only parking. Our nightly parking charge is also one of the least expensive in downtown, compared to $29 or $31 at nearby properties.

All guestroom windows are specially sealed against outside noise, and so I was curious to see that you took issue with the wedding party in the courtyard. The room to which you were moved was also a Premiere Garden King, one of our premium rooms, although the front desk would have definitely been able to accommodate a move to the city-facing side of the building if requested. Please also know that if our Engineering department had been notified of any difficulties you had with heat during your stay, they would have been more than happy to assist you.

We sincerely appreciate your patronage of Hotel Modera, and I hope that you will contact me to discuss this matter further.

Desmond Mollendor
dmollendor@hotelmodera.com

Reviewed 24 March 2010

From the wonderful service, to the pristine room, to the great outdoor patio area, I was beyond impressed with this hotel. I would never consider staying anywhere else in Portland. I commend the general manager and his staff for creating an atmosphere of comfort, luxury and efficiency. Try this hotel; you will not regret it.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2010

True, the hotel is a new (recently renovated) funky, chic and modern oasis in the southern part of downtown Portland. Check-in was quick and friendly. I dig the hotel restaurant’s (Nel Centro’s) outdoor patio with the very cool fire pits (I also had a great breakfast there). And, yes, the king-sized bed was comfortable, the bathroom was up to snuff, the room was clean and spacious (at least #348 is roomy) and major kudos for free WiFi and having an LCD TV with HD channels. And, the location is quite good since Portland is such a walkable city with very short blocks. All this at about $100/night (plus $20/night for valet parking). So, what’s the problem? Sounds like this hotel has it all and it should be an automatic 5/5.

Three reasons I can't write a glowing review:

First off and, most importantly: noise. Noise levels in my room were off the charts (and I’m a good sleeper). The walls are absolutely paper thin (voices and flushing are easily heard) and the windows, well, there’s simply no insulation from outside noise. The hotel is smack dab between 5th and 6th street – major thoroughfares in downtown Portland, so I heard plenty of buses. My room was facing Clay St and, I’m not exaggerating, a dumpster was being emptied at 3:00AM on Monday morning. I’m very surprised this wasn’t mentioned in more reviews and can’t imagine my room as the only noisy one. I must flag it though and inform light sleepers to beware. I regret not following the advice of a previous reviewer and getting a room facing the garden/main entrance because I suspect it would have been much more quiet.

Secondly: moldy-looking pipes and brown stains? I wasn’t looking for this stuff, but it was there. The multiple brown stains were on the washroom ceiling and the exposed pipes were in the top area of the closet (see pic). Perhaps just a cleaning/maintenance oversight in my room? Not good.

Finally: valet. I get the mandatory $20 for valet parking since the price of the room is already very competitive. But (and a big BUT) I have good reason to believe the valet staff didn’t just drive my car to the underground parking. I wasn’t diligent enough to read the odometer before I handed the keys, but there were footprints and dirt on the floor of the backseat (I had the car detailed prior and no one had sat back there) and my wife claimed her seat (passenger) was definitely not in its original position. I suspect the valet was just testing out the my car’s interior, but that is still uncool.

I agree with others that Hotel Modera has a lot going for it but, unfortunately for me, I didn’t share the same great experiences other reviewers had. Surprisingly disappointed. 3/5.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GlobalEyes
HotelModera, Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2010

We would like to thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Portland. Hotel Modera prides itself on being a great value for travelers and guests who appreciate luxury and a boutique hotel experience, and I am happy to see that you enjoyed our location, amenities, and services.

Being a downtown city hotel we are unfortunately unable to control the noise from traffic and the street. While remodeling the property, we installed state-of-the-art double-pane glass windows to mitigate this metropolitan noise; please know that if you had alerted us during your stay that you were experiencing a less than restful night, we would have immediately accommodated your needs. Additionally, I thank you for bringing the condition of the pipes in your room to our attention so that our Engineering Department may address the issue.

Regarding your concerns about your vehicle during your stay: after reviewing all security footage of your vehicle during your stay with us, I can personally confirm that your vehicle never left its designated parking spot during your stay, nor did the valet staff in any way behave unprofessionally when parking and retrieving your vehicle.

Once again, we appreciate your patronage of Hotel Modera. I hope that you will contact me directly to discuss this matter further.

Desmond Mollendor
dmollendor@hotelmodera.com

Reviewed 8 March 2010

Cool redone hotel in downtown Portland. On the edge of downtown but walkable to many restaurants and activities. Nice lounge and restaurants and great oudoor firepit lounge and hang out space. Great suite with lots of room and ammenities. You would never know it if you drove by so stop in and you will be pleasently be suprised.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Donziz33
Reviewed 25 February 2010

A wonderful find in Portland. We stay in downtown Portland 1-2 nights a month and have tried about every hotel. Modera has been our choice for months: clean, quiet (try garden side), well managed, polite and efficient service. Unlike many hotels, check in and out takes only 2-3 minutes. Valet parking is fast and efficient also. Try the internet specials.
This is a delightful place. Only "drawback" - W. Puck's awful coffee in the room.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank victor27
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I love modern decor and style, but not the hipster attitude that sometimes comes with it. This lovely hotel offer gorgeous ambience with friendly, helpful service and all you need for a very comfortable stay. Great beds, luxe linens, yummy bath products, Italian marble, dark wood and chic furnishings. Rooms are very clean and well maintained. Ipod docks, flat screens, all modern conveniences! Great downtown location within easy walking distance to the heart of the city, the waterfront, and more, or one block to the free streetcar line to take you to the Pearl District and beyond. The knowledgeable and helpful front desk staff will gladly answer your questions. The rates are quite reasonable for the quality of the property. We wished we had more than one night so we could enjoy the outdoor patio and well-reviewed restaurant. I've stayed in quite a few Portland hotels, this is my new favorite for sure! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple