“I love the Modera”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #28 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 3 September 2010

This our third time back to Modera. Took my son back to start his third year at the University of Portland on the Bluff, a great school! This time it was family outing totaling six plus my son and his girlfriend. I put my wife and parents on the AMTRAK, which they loved, filled the van and we drove down three hours from Seattle. We had three rooms at the Modera; one King suite and two interconnecting rooms with a King and two Queens. Rooms, service and restaurant were great. You can go on their website and see pictures of the rooms. They are comfortable, particularly the beds. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant, Nel Centro. Wow, the food is great. But what was really good and unique to me was the Roasted Beet Salad with Warm Ricotta, Orange & Hazelnuts. It is so fresh. If you like beets you will love this. If you don't think you like beets. You will probably find a new love for it. I also had the Cured Albacore Tuna Carpaccio with Lemon & Sea Salt. It melts in your month. I am a fan of a dish called Poisson Cru, in Tahiti, so I'm always checking out fish marinated in lemon juice type dishes: Delicious but sparse. I could eat this all day. Ok. Check the menu on line. Breakfast was great and reasonably priced also. You wouldn't expect a restaurant this good in a hotel. Also, again I found it wonderfully convenient to walk around Portland from the Modera. It is not as hilly as Seattle, which is a benefit. The Modera is right on the Max light rail and bus line. The Modera is about 5 blocks west of the waterfront park, seven blocks south of Pioneer Place Mall, and 19 blocks south of the train station, which also is also adjacent to the Max rail. I look forward to going back on the train and moving around just using transit sometime. We walked down to the waterfront and rented a surrey, which is canopy covered multi-seated bicycle and rode that around the river. Weather was great. We walked down to check out the renowned Voodoo donuts and observed the line halfway around the block. I poked my head in, it's barley closet of a space. Alright, as you can see I'm really high on Portland and the Modera. Hope this is helpful, hope you visit Portland soon and hope you are not disappointed. Enjoy.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 August 2010

We were in town for a weekend get-away with some friends, the hotel itself was clean and comfortable with a friendly service oriented staff at the desk and in the lobby. The restaurant has a nice outdoor patio with fire-pits which was great in the evenings. The rooms have all the amenities you'd expect in this type of hotel, flat screen TV's with HD, I-Home alarm clocks, plush bedding good sized bathrooms with walk-in showers etc...

It's located near a light-rail stop, which is free in Portland... its about a 5 or 10 minute ride to the Pearl District which was great for pubs and restaurants.

All in all, a highly recommendable hotel. I'm glad we chose it!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Modera has broken the code on providing cool, artistic accommodations without being uptight. Service was consistently friendly and helpful, from storing luggage, free valet bike parking, and even holding onto some clothing items mistakenly left in the room until we could pick them up. Excellent restaurant and outdoor seating. Five stars.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2010

One of the most important things to me in hotel quality is the cleanliness. I have to say this is one of the cleanest places I have ever had the pleasure of staying. Front desk staff is helpful and friendly. The place is trendy but welcoming. Even though everything seems high end, the "attitudes" that often come with high end hotels are not to be found there. An overall wonderful experience. Highly recommended. Walk, bus, and train to EVERYTHING in Portland from this area. Also is very close to the Saturday market on the PSU campus and the awesome food carts up that way. Walking distance to everything in the City Center but removed enough that it is QUIET! :)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2010

This hotel is simply beautiful: a large, airy, sunny lobby, with fun sofas and chairs. There are 2 Macs to use to check email (and the entire hotel is free wi-fi). There is a restaurant on site with an incredibly good happy hour deal (it was packed) and the pizza we had was delish. The room we had (Garden View--faces the courtyard instead of the street) was spotless, with one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in, ever. The bathroom is not huge, but it's very user friendly, and, again, spotless. The room was a little dark (but so many hotels are being cheap with lighting lately), and the flat screen tv remote was slow, but we were there to see a play in Portland, so we only stayed one night, and the hotel was affordable, and perfectly wonderful for that.

Except. After the play ended at 11pm, we went back to the hotel to have a drink at the restaurant, but it closes--at 11pm. The waiter recommended another place about 5 blocks away, so we walked back toward the theatre to a place called South Park--from the outside, it looked fabulous, however, despite the sign on the door saying they were open till midnight, the place was locked up and the wait staff inside, we could see them, were ignoring us and cleaning up.

There was not ONE bar open in the 4 blocks surrounding Hotel Modera on a summer Thursday night after a play (there are several theatres, and a movie theatre, in the neighborhood).

So yeah, it's a hip, cool hotel, but if you actually stay up after 11pm, at least on a Thursday night, you'll need to trek to some other part of Portland.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2010

The facilities are beautiful, the staff polite and the attached restaurant/bar offers excellent food at decent prices. The modern/groovy theme (sleek wood, steel, etc.) carries even into the Internet stations off of the lobby, where they've installed iMacs.

A couple of minor quibbles: The AC kicked on pretty loudly several times during the night, and the bar closed before our nearby play was finished (after 11) -- and to add insult to injury, the bar we were directed to also was closed. This end of Portland seems pretty dead after it gets dark, so we understand the early closures. It's a sleepy town; very nice, but sleepy. :)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Have travelled all over the world -- one of the very best hotels I have stayed in. Reasonable price. Hotel staff is super friendly and accommodating. Very very clean. Great location for exploring Portland. Not a thing I would suggest for improvement in service or quality. Would recommend completely and can't wait to return.

• Stayed: August 2010